Michigan Connections Academy

Charter | K-12 | 694 students

Living in Okemos

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Sweep tile

Posted September 12, 2013

MICA is a 'dream come true' for any parent who seeks alternative schooling for their children. When first enrolled, we were somewhat nervous, after all, there had never been this type of school available in Michigan before. It was a totally new concept for us and with it came some insecurities. These vanished quickly when the girls excitement grew as they learned to appreciate and value their education. Within weeks, our daughters HUGE disappointment of leaving the local district turned to visible JOY in learning. To see our then 5th grader's eyes light up because she actually understood the concept of division, after spending the year prior not having a clue, was the first of many signs that we had made the right decision. Both of our daughters stated that the quality of learning with MICA was FAR above what they'd experienced in brick and mortar schools. Their enthusiasm resulted from many things never before known to them. Teacher support, live lesson sessions, one on one's whenever needed, and portfolio assignments are just a few of the new concepts that added to our daughters successful learning in MICA. It is by far the best school option available to Michigan students today.

Posted September 4, 2013

I think that Michigan Connections Academy is a great school. My child just started going there this year and has had a great time since he started going there. Teachers are great and so is the administration team. Connections academy is always open and my child can go to school any time day or night. He has learned more in the last few days then he had at this other high school. He is also learning at this own pace.

Posted September 2, 2013

How exciting when your child loves to wake up and go to school. Even if it's only a few feet from his bed! My son gets a better education with Michigan Connections Academy because the teachers give one on one attention and there is no outside influence to push him on the wrong track. I see how much more knowledge he has compared to the kids his age in public schools and I know I made the right decision. No bulling, no fighting for a good education and no unnecessary teachings. He can go at his own pace and enjoy the topics that are more interesting to him in depth if he wants. And don't get me started on the awesome ability to vacation when we want, take days off when we want and sleep in if we want! It's so nice to not have to worry about buses or how long he has to stand in line for lunch or all the school clothes or supplies he needs. Connections provides everything he needs to get the best education for free, we even got a computer with all the software! I am amazed on how smart my son is now and it really shows up with his MEAP testing and ScanTrons. He is learning more with MICA then he ever did in a public school! Thank God for MICA! It's the best decision we've ever made!

Posted August 29, 2013

This school is an awesome learning and school experience for my daughter and me. Everyone is always friendly and helpful from the office to the teachers. The teachers are very helpful and always available for you and your child for questions, concerns, and extra help, which I found this failed in building schools. We can still have our life as we need it. The school does not control our lives anymore, we are equal in importance. As a parent, I am aware of my child's work, classes, teachers, grades, achievements, and struggles. I now have piece of mind with her learning, not wondering what is she learning, experiencing, or how can I help her, Another great part is expense, I no longer have the stress of a long list of school supplies or school clothes. Also even thought there are many students, Connections Academy makes you feel like...you are the only student and parent they have. There is no worries or questions about your child's learning through Connections Academy, I just wish we did it sooner!!

Posted August 28, 2013

MI Connections Academy is the answer to my prayers. The staff is wonderful, the curriculum is among the best I have ever seen. I love the way the classes are tailor made for each individual student taking their learning style into consideration. MI Connections Academy is a cutting edge technological school that provides every student the chance to go on to become great adults. Not only do they work with the children but they become involved with each family through webmails and telephone calls and the teachers actually become a part of your family. When you contact them there is no waiting in line for a long time to receive an answer. The children are not bullied and made to feel inferior to others but are encouraged to be their very best. Our children have the awesome opportunity of staying home and learning while developing great family values. Connections has many opportunities for families to meet together for field trips and other functions. It is like getting the best of all worlds. Your children receive a high quality 21st century education, opportunities to go on outings, they can go on vacation with the family at any time and still access their classes online.

Posted August 28, 2013

I was skeptical when my daughter asked to attend MICA, but I'm so happy I allowed her to do so. She struggled constantly with the local public school - the teachers weren't much help, she was bored in some classes, couldn't understand things in others and no one seemed to have the time to assist her. One year later and she went from failing almost every class to being an A student. She gets help when she needs it, lessons are a lot more hands on and explained very well. Any doubts I had about her getting a good education from online school are gone. I'm beyond thrilled with how well this has turned out.

Posted August 27, 2013

Michigan Connections Academy is a Virtual Public School. The teachers work very closely with the students and parents to ensure that the students learn to the best of their ability and at their own pace. We love this school and wouldn't want our children anywhere else!

Posted August 27, 2013

Michigan Connections Academy is the perfect combination of a traditional public school (brick and mortar school) and homeschooling. Connections Academy is a completely free public school that provides everything a student would need (and more) to have a successful learning experience at home. Each child is assigned a homeroom teacher, participates in LiveLessons with their classmates online, takes monthly field trips around the state, is shipped all course materials (even a set of headphones to use with the computer) a computer to use during the school year and they even help pay for internet access! My kiddos love receiving all of their course materials in the mail (we call it Christmas in August) and setting up their learning space. As my child's learning coach, I am there to help my students complete lessons and communicate with their teachers. The flexibility, awesome coursework and amazing school staff are the main reasons we chose to school our family with Michigan Connections Academy.

Posted August 27, 2013

Michigan Connections Academy is a great school for my family. It allows my wife and I to be completely hands on with our children in their day-to-day learning. We have been helping to teach and mold our children since the day they were born, why should that stop simply because they reach school age? We love the flexibility MICA provides for our family as well. We set our own daily routine and weekly schedule. As long as we log the appropriate number of attendance hours, we are free to decide how our students learn best and at what time of day. Learning should happen all day every day not just between the hours of 8am and 3pm. When students attend Michigan Connections Academy, learning happens on your time schedule. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who is interested in a less tradition means of schooling their children and who wants to be really involved in their daily educational plan. MICA truly is the best of both worlds...great teachers, warm nurturing learning environment, completely free learning materials and amazing coursework. We also love that our children will graduate with a real high school diploma from an accredited school. What more could we ask for?

Posted August 27, 2013

Michigan Connections Academy is amazing! Not only can my students learn at home for free using superb coursework, we get to set a schedule that works best for our family. No longer do we have to wake up early to be at school by 7:45 & have cranky children after school & during dinner knowing that the dreaded homework hour (or hours) are yet to come. Our family felt lost in the day to day roller coaster that we were on when enrolled in our local public brick and mortar school. Our kids hated waking up early and doing a ton of homework each night. Well guess what, MICA is different. It truly focuses on the learning experience and doesn't need homework to prove the children are learning. When the student completes the lesson and passes the short assessment, move on to the next lesson. You finished your lessons ahead of time? No problem, work ahead at your own pace. I love that I am so hands on with the learning process and have access to a state certified teacher when I have questions. My children's homeroom teachers have always been amazingly helpful when ever I have questions. This school is perfect for our family, perfect! The teachers are hands-on, always available and the

Posted August 27, 2013

so glad we made this decision with this school and they are so helpful.It is very flexible as a mother of two disabled children and my son now wants to do this.

Posted August 27, 2013

Michigan Connections Academy has helped my children succeed in so many ways. The Teachers get to know our children and family very well. They learn their learning styles that help them succeed and enjoy learning. It' s a breath of fresh air!

Posted August 27, 2013

My daughter Sydney goes to Connections Academy in Michigan. Its hard to convey the amazing teachers Sydney's had since the brick and mortar schools. The teachers have positive attitudes. Knowledgeable answers to any question big or small. They are there for you in away that the other teachers Sydney had in the past just weren't. Aside from her kindergarten teacher they were just burnt out. Its not like that here. There is just so much positive reinforcement it makes you feel like you can do anything. I'm not saying that the course work is easy because quite frankly its not and motivation has got to come from myself and my daughter. But that was always my job and Syd's and not the teachers. I've had more contact in one month with Mrs. R and Mrs. Z then I ever did with the teachers Sydney had in the regular schools. Some people will say that I don't have the time or it it's too hard to do this but Connections academy gives you everything you need to succeed. The amazing thing that I have found is that in this world where everyone is trying to be so politically correct and worried about walking out our own front door, I have finally found a place where my daughter can really learn...

Posted July 17, 2013

I could not ask for a better school. Every school has issues but the real truth behind this school out ways any minor bumps we have. In this school my shy, opinionated daughter has managed to pull good grades, make improvement in all aspects of her life, The flexibility makes room for down days and opportunities for those moment you might not get going to a brick and mortar school. Her socialization has even increased with her self esteem. The teachers target just what she likes and needs to be a success. The school offers more field trips and hands on chances to really experience life. As a parent I know every aspect of what is being taught and have a say in it. They are helpful and encouraging, to not only our kids but learning coaches/parents. In the last 3 years we've attended I've seen a constant stride for improvement of this school and this is the reason we continue and will most likely have graduates from the academy.

Posted April 19, 2013

Awesome concept! Great idea for many different reasons. Anxious to see more about the test scores.

Posted January 2, 2013

We are in the middle of our third year at MICA with 4 children attending. The hands on individual attention the kids receive when needed is one of the best things about this school. The kids are challenged and the parents know what their kids are learning. The school sends a computer as well as textbooks, workbooks, art supplies, yoga dvd's and a jump rope for PE. Our kids really like it and we are very pleased with our decision to have our children attend a public school at home.

Posted October 26, 2012

I have two kids, one who is in a "regular" public school and does wonderfully and another who did nothing but struggle in a public school environment. He has ADHD but medications aren't well tolerated and the best thing is just quiet and a lack of distractions. Anyone who has been in a classroom knows that there are many distractions and even more so for a kid that hears everything! This is his second year with Connections and we love it. His grades have gone from D's and E's to A's and B's. I love that it still meets Michigan curriculum guidelines, he can graduate with a real diploma and every day isn't a struggle. There are still deadlines, homework, tests and exams but it's so much easier for him to be in his own environment while learning. Self-study has proven to be a Godsend and he can still get teacher help if needed. If you have a kid that just doesn't "click" with the public school environment, do all of you a favor and try the home version of public school.

Posted October 22, 2012

I am an 11th grade student at Michigan Connections Academy. MICA is an online public school, free and open to anyone in Michigan. That is what's so great about this school; You usually can't get home/online schooling for free. There's K12 but you have to pay for books etc. With MICA they will provide a computer or laptop along with books and all other supplies. Teacher communication is great, they call you to make sure you understand everything and stay on track. You can work ahead as much as you want to. And you get to learn while being at home in your jammies!!

Posted October 21, 2012

We are in our third year with Michigan Connections Academy. Putting my kids in this school has been one of the best decisions I have made. The support of the teachers along with parental involvement is great. I would highly recommend this school to any parent wanting a more hands on approach to their childs learning.

Posted October 21, 2012

This is our third year this year and I would not trade it in for the world. One of the reasons I chose this school for my son is to he had health issue's. Also one of the advantages was getting textbooks that had all of the pages. Being able to help my child in his school work is nice because we spend family time with him. Also when it comes to the lessons they are easy to understand and the teachers are always read to help. I would recommend this school to anyone and everyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

114 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

115 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

141 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

158 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

158 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

159 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

189 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

"25"%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 18% 18%

• Mr. Bryan Klochack
Fax number
  • (517) 507-5389

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3950 Heritage Ave