Brandon High School

Public | 9-12 | 1146 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 27, 2014

I have seen their list of online offerings and it is great. What a nice way for a kid to supplement high school.

Posted February 27, 2014

The Education Exploration night was great last night. It is nice to see a school bring back its alumni to show kids what's possible. The teachers seemed into it, and the high energy was noticeable. Things really seem to be on the upswing at Brandon High School.

Posted January 17, 2014

I'm not exactly sure how the funding for schools works, but every time I see a Michigan listing, Brandon is at the bottom of the list for how much it gets from the state. It seems to me they do a pretty good job with the schools for being at the bottom of funding. I think they offer some pretty good programs.

Posted January 17, 2014

There are going to be issues in any school, and Brandon has issues just like anywhere else. As a teacher, though, I do see efforts to fix problems and make the school better. One of the things the assistant principal has is the Blackhawk Hotline where kids can report problems and he follows up on them. At first glance, it can seem silly, but I know some kids who have used it out of concern for their friends and it has worked. I think things are headed in a decent direction.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 22, 2013

principal is a jerk. 2,no emphasis on real education. No final exams if you do not miss any classes. what a joke. No incentive for good teachers to teach in this school.

Posted August 9, 2013

As a teacher I have seen some petty bad things here. Mr.Tucker is a very bad person. This has to be the Worst school in Michigan!!!!! Please take your kids to a school that cares about them.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 3, 2013

District that has had issues with racism/bullying for the last decade if not more. Little prevention training or steps in place. This issue is more critical as it is a school of choice district. Lack of experience on board, spends thousands on "professional" opinion rather than find solutions within. Buy outs and out sourcing has had a negative impact on community and property. Budget miscalculations have thrown planning to the fire and put district in crisis cut mode. Student proficiency has drastically declined and High School has lost highly sought after state designation. Cut curriculum director and facility maintenance director. Budget error has caused major change of direction for this district Though student numbers decline, teacher/student ratio's increase. Little effort spent on students above proficiency levels below High School levels. Great improvements in art and music programs at elementary levels. Teaches to test results. Strong support for athletics, although declining due to staff changes. Many young and bright new teachers, but also lost many needed "experienced" teachers.

Posted April 28, 2013

The emphasis at Brandon High School is rigid adherence to rules. There is a greater concern about sports, dress code, and attendance than actually teaching students. What's worse is that there is a lot of bullying, and the staff turns a blind eye to it. Students get very little feedback to help them improve their learning. There are not enough textbooks for MANY classes, so students do not have the materials needed either. Test scores on the MEAP and ACT are marginal, especially for Oakland County.. The enrollment is dropping and will continue to drop until Brandon High School starts putting learning first.

Posted November 25, 2010

It is a really good school. This is the school that I am going to right now.

Posted August 25, 2010

I graduated from Brandon this year and I can tell anyone interested in this school that if you only want to do minimal work in school and only want to take maybe 2 years of maths classes, then this school is great for you. However, if you want to apply yourself and take AP glasses and calculus/physics classes, then this school is also perfect for you. You can choose easy and simple classes, and not be involved in the school activities, but that's your decision. A teacher isn't going to force you to do your best. This school offers as many AP classes and activities as any public school will, but it's your choice. I enjoyed my time at Brandon because I applied and challenged myself, I joined activities and did well in school. They gave me options and I chose the best for me.

Posted January 21, 2010

this school is okay. i recently switched to it this year but i dont know if i want to say. the classes are really easy and the teachers are really young and not the greatest. the language department is terrible, the rules are ridiculous, the bathrooms are disgusting, and the office people are rude. the people there are okay, they seem like they've all known each other for a long time and don't want to talk to new people, there seems to be a lot of fights too. the computers are poor, and don't work very well and the library isn't something open that you can use. the clubs seem lame and the sports don't seem to do well. its an okay school, but i;m sure you could find something better.

Posted July 18, 2006

I graduated from Brandon a few years ago. I was in several extra-curricular activities as well as many Advanced Placement courses that really challenged my academic level of commitment. I am grateful to the teachers there who stretched me past my limits, upheld good morals to give me good examples to follow, and cared about me as a person. When I was shy about joining a team, the coach called me several times through the summer to be sure I was comfortable and had the equipment I needed. He had plenty of good atheletes, and it showed me that the faculty at Brandon cared about me. I am in my last semester at an out-of-state college (bachelor's), and I feel almost ashamed to say that college work has been easier and I have a higher GPA. I know it is because I got a better education at Brandon.

Posted February 22, 2006

The administration inside the school cares for the kids and tries to provide an environment conducive for learning. Knowing many of the teachers (being a JV Boy's Soccer coach), they do prepare children to become young adults and want to see kids succeed. If there is an area which would shift this school to greatness would be parent involvement. If there is blame to be placed for drug and alcohol abuse it would fall on the parents, since when has it become the educators responsibility to police and raise other s children? There are great kids at these schools too, just like the rest of the world they need to be guided and invested in. To anyone who feels a need to express an opinion please have the courage to sign your name, especially if you feel the need to berate something which will take your effort to fix.

Posted December 15, 2005

My daughter is an A student, has homework, and is involved in the band and in sports. Her friends (juniors) are polite and courtous, if any are on drugs they do an excellent job of hiding it. Yes, I was a teenager once myself and do recongnize the signs. The parents are active and on parent teacher meetings the place is packed. I do agree that some of the younger teachers are just putting in their time, they need to teach more and be a 'friend' less. All in all I rate Brandon High School a B+

Posted February 25, 2005

I'm currently enrolled in brandon high school as a senior. This is my first year hear and it really has not been that great. the classes at brandon are extremely lax and there is little or no teacher involvement with the students. I really dont think this school does a good job at preparing kids for life and education beyond high school, and im sure im going to have a hard time progressing my education beyond this. Im extremely thankful that i've only had to spend a year here and not more. I've yet to find a reason why this school is a school of choice or a blue ribbon winning school.

Posted November 19, 2004

I am a recent grad from Brandon High school. While attending I was high involved with basicaly everything from the 4 years of class to other leadership roles with heavy school involvement. The school itself is not that good but also not that bad. There is a major drug use and drinking problem that is being over looked. The classes are very easy. Now that I am at college I have seen just how unprepared I truely am becuase of Brandon. The older teachers do a very good job of educating and caring about their student but it is these teachers that are being boght out. The new younger teachers are the biggest problem going there. If I had to do it over again I wold change schools. The problem is that there aren't any public schools around that don't have the same problem Brandon does.

Posted October 13, 2004

Although I haven't been in the school for nine years I still have ties to the community and many of my former teachers are still teaching there. I would say that after being a teacher in different places in America and being an attorney involved in education cases, that Brandon schools are great. I received an excellent education (though I was in the AP/accelerated programs) and I felt safe to be a kid. I would say college was actually easier (though I was older). Alabama Law School (again, though I was older) was about as hard. While I agree there was a 'drug problem,' it wasn't pervasive and the vast majority of kids weren't using. My teachers cared and were great educators. I just think that nay-sayers often are the ones who speak up. I hope to one day have my children (if I can convince my wife) at Brandon.

Posted May 1, 2004

Very few of the teachers show interest in how the students are doing. The curriculum is very low; do not expect your child to become highly educated. My child is an 'A' student, yet never has any homework, and cannot reiterate what they have learned. I fear that when my child goes to college, they will have a very difficult time because of the above issues.

Posted April 6, 2004

As a recent former student of this school, I know what has gone on there and still continues too. Personally, while I think the system in general is all right, I don't believe this school is anywhere I would want my children to go when I'm older. I chose to leave the school myself, due to the way students are treated and stereotyped there. The school might be pretty safe from violence, but there are serious issues on drugs there they refuse to pay attention to.

Posted August 22, 2003

Brandon is an awesome school district. I would highly recommend it to anyone, and I've been in or had kids in 5 different school districts.

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

257 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

"94"%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 8% 18%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A48%
Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Industrial shop
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor