Bad
Good

Both of my children attended Kalamazoo central and were college ready scoring 26 and 28 on the act. I substituted there in 2001 and there was minimum student disrespect . There has to be more PARENTAL involvement and COMMUNITY involvement to correct the current situation. All the resources necessary to succeed are at Kalamazoo Central. Some student disruptions, violence, and even bullying need to be videotaped so we can identify the persons disrupting the educational process and inform and if necessary aid their parents( if they are receptive to it) in turning these kids in the right direction. This situation has to be turned around soon

The violence and poor race relations in this school has been present for a few decades now. A lot of the kids are disrespectful, but the teachers can get jaded and end up reinforcing bad behavior - assume the kid is going to be bad and the kid is going to act out. The Kalamazoo Promise in part attempts to address disadvantaged students and prompt higher teaching standards, but it hasn't improved much. Considering the culture, interest in social justice, and positive education values, it is almost mysterious that this school system can't get their act together. It's very unfortunate.

What a AWFUL place !!! I substituted here and it was a hot mess. You couldn't pay me to send my son here. Most of the students have zero respect for teachers, principal or themselves. F this and F you and F that is all you will hear all day long. For the few student who have made it to 12 grade and are still thriving you are 100% amazing and our unbelievably resilient !! The Kalamazoo promise is a joke, due to the fact that any child who is truly trying to learn is gonna have a very hard tim staying focus. Truly very very sad !!!

Kalamazoo Central high school is an amazingly diverse place where kids spend some of their most volatile and dramatic years. With so many changing teens in one place, it's amazing how smoothly the school runs. That's not to say there aren't hiccups, but since the time Principal Washington has been there, the majority of the student body went from despising the administration, to turning to them for support and assistance in day to day activities. To say that the teachers of this school don't care about the students is a direct insult at their hard work. It's been three years since I graduated from this school and I've grown to appreciate it more and more. I didn't realize how prepared I was for college until I got through my first year and realized that there were times at Kalamazoo Central where I was challenged more than in College.

Lots of violence and a lack of teacher concern for student well-being. Drugs are sold openly in the hallways and there are knives in the building. The boys' bathrooms are like smoker's lounges and there is a lot of racism and hatred directed toward the minority whites.

I pulled my son out of this school last year and he is now doing much better. He hated the violence and the lack of control that the staff has over the students. The Kalamazoo Promise was just not worth it for us. Calls placed to the principal were not returned, and everything is in a state of chaos in the school. My younger son is only eight, and has asked if we can move before he gets to middle school. I wanted my kids to have a lot of diversity in their school, but I cannot send them to a school that is not safe.

It is billed as a world class school and I can attest to it's world class curriculum aimed at preparing our young minds for the next level of education.

New to michigan from california and our experience with KCHS has been positive. Very caring staff and dedicated teachers. Very impressed with the variety of classes offered and the supervision of students.

School is about what you put into, staying the course. I am a parent of 2 students who have received the full Kalamazoo Promise and feel all whose children attend should feel very blessed and not let this opportunity ever be wasted.

My daughter transferred from Loy Norrix and loves it. The staff has really went out of their way to make her feel welcomed.

Last modified Kalamazoo Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.