Upland Hills School 4

Posted November 21, 2014
If your child is struggling and is overwhelmed with the work and other children in the public school then this school is the perfect place! This is a stress free school where children are free to move at their own pace. There are no standardized tests, there is no pressure .The children are free to move about in a nurturing, homel like setting. Grades are mixed so there are children at many different levels in both the morning and the afternoon classes. No child is ever left to feel behind. The children are not forced into a box, if they prefer to learn to sew and cook in the afternoons, they are free to pick those subjects. The school has an excellent drama program and a beautiful theater.There is lots of free time, time spent outdoors and many opportunities for creative play.This is a great alternative that can provide a safe environment for kids that cannot thrive in a traditional school. I think they need to work on having more extra curricular activities, not just big, overseas trips, but maybe something more comfortable and less expensive like sports teams or choirs or chess clubs.

Posted May 18, 2014
A Priceless School Experience. Upland Hills is a hidden jewel. A smaller environment set in the forest where children are encouraged to develop their own unique gifts. Children receive ample instruction outside-experiential/dynamic learning opportunities, 60 different afternoon class choices each week. A strong joyful feeling in the children, lots of music and laughter, swinging and running fast together outside-even the teenagers. Children come home tired at night and wake eagerly. I value that protecting childhood/preserving the innate sense of wonder is central to the younger end. Rites of passage trips for each Group deepen the foundations. My child has had the privilege of being taught for 10 years by both the older staff of teachers as well as the newer staff of teachers - all who are deeply intelligent, kind people. Retired teachers didn't leave entirely-they are still teaching and supporting the curriculum part time/working with the newer teachers. The school seems more robust than ever. Leadership is benevolent, experienced, and talented and has designed this overlap for exiting/entering teachers. Alumni return all the time. A school for both the Heart and Mind. Love it.

Posted March 23, 2014
Academics or courses taught at this school are presented in a unique way...They may not be for everyone. The school may not be a fit for every person. If you want to learn anatomy on a computer, then this is not the school for you. (On-line schools can offer this) If you want to learn the anatomy on a real animal, then this school can offer this. Many schools follow the government well, when it dictates how, when and everything you learn, no matter how you learn. If you are student who wants a school to address your developmental level and offers you the opportunity to learn using 7 types of multiple intelligences, (instead of 2 or 3 at most schools.) then call or drop in and set up an interview with the director. I have found the staff caring and understanding, even when we disagreed. They use new and proven older methods for teaching. Getting outside is a a natural recharge of the brain and body so they can function once again together to integrate difficult subjects. ( I understand psychotropic drugs and punitive methods are often used with poor success to achieve this.) People whom I've talked to, who graduated or know a graduate state they excel in high school.

Upland Hills School 2

Posted March 08, 2014
I agree with the previous poster. This school lags in academics. My children came out of this school getting F's. Many families are leaving. The old teachers have retired. The newer teachers do not quit hit the bar. The children do not seem to be the primary focus anymore. The curriculum is repetitive and outdated.

Posted March 05, 2014
I completely disagree with the previous poster from yesterday! That is all I will say about that misinformation. My son spent 6 glorious years at Upland Hills School and he does not have issues. He was placed in honors literature and honors math (not algebra, but geometry) for 9th grade. I think that means he learned something! He also learned about life and love. He can think on his own. The directors, teachers and staff are exceptional human beings with calm demeanor. They all have such interesting backgrounds! This school made me a better parent, just by hanging around the positive atmosphere and observing what goes on around me. Nothing beats my son looking at us across the dinner table and saying: "Mom, Dad, thank you so much for sending me to this school!"

Upland Hills School 3

Posted March 04, 2014
Behind on academics. Lot's of outdoor time, plenty of free time. Good for active kids. Seems like mainly a school for kids with behavior issues. Not much oversight with the teachers, some teachers are great, others not so great. Administration doesn't pay much attention to the teachers or the kids, they do fundraising and plan staff vacations. Probably a really good place for kids who have issues.

Posted June 02, 2012
My first son to graduate from UHS has just finished at public high school. At UHS he was lovingly supported to consistently know himself and therefor was very able to navigate through the complex social world of high school. He is a confident explorer of life and he thinks! We both think of UHS as one of our 'homes' on this pretty planet.

Posted November 09, 2007
Upland Hills is a place to learn. Your children learn life as well as language and math. The setting is unique in its wildness and beauty. The families are committed to their community. Love is a high priority in the curriculum.

Posted February 04, 2006
- a former student
I am not a parent of a child that attended this school, but I am someone who actually attended Upland Hills. I would have been completely lost without this school. They taught me things that were extremely valuable that public school could have never thought of teaching me. The most important was self discipline by directing a child to the proper decision on what to do or how to behave instead of enforcing certain behavior. Upland Hills has made me a better person today and I am forever thankful to them. Phillip Moore was not only my Principal, but he is also still a lifetime friend of mine. If you want the best school for your child then send them to Upland Hills for an experience you and your child will never forget. Thank You Upland for helping me save my life.

Posted February 19, 2005
This school is awesome. Class sizes are small and the emphasis is on growing the WHOLE person. Teachers assist students in finding their own learning style. There is a HUGE emphasis on the outdoors and the whole circle of life. Upland Hills is a parents dream come true.

Upland Hills School