Farrand Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 368 students

Posted October 28, 2013

Farrand is a wonderful school in a great community. The teachers and staff at Farrand are very dedicated and truly care about the students. I feel fortunate my child is able to learn and grow here.

Posted October 25, 2013

A Very good school!!!!!!!!!! No complaints here. Always clean, safe and friendly!!!! Nice nieghborhood also.

Posted October 4, 2013

During the last two years when dealing with the school with certain minor issues with my son the principal has stood a head above the rest. She is easy to communicate with, she will call you to inquire about a concern she has, returns your calls/ e-mails and is definitely there to ensure your child is safe and reaching their full potential. I've never felt judged or looked down upon by her when my son was in trouble, refused to wear his winter jacket and was absent from school for a period of days in a month or so.. In my humble opinion she makes the school excellent. This is the first time I have ever wrote a recommendation on this site or any other.

Posted September 24, 2013

The teachers and staff at this school are nothing short of outstanding! The student population is very diverse yet, for the most part there are no cliques or nasty kids. I feel confident sending my daughter there every morning. My husband and I both have advanced degrees and feel our children's education is paramount. We trust the staff at Farrand to instill a lifelong love for learning. We are happy here!

Posted August 14, 2013

Fantastic school nestled in a warm and friendly neighborhood. I love this school. The teachers are wonderful and our new principal is already part of the "family". Our PTA is inviting and productive. They really are involved in so much of the school (in a good way) I really feel blessed that my child is lucky enough to go to Farrand.

Posted January 27, 2013

We continue to love our school! The teachers work extremely hard to provide a quality education to all students. There are many PTO sponsored activities that bring a real community feeling to the school. We have had nothing but a positive experience.

Posted March 18, 2012

We think Farrand is an amazing school! Our children are thriving, and love going there everyday. The teachers are amazing and work extremely hard to provide the best for their students. The PTO is better than ever and is working to provide the newest and best technology for the school. Farrand doesn't get the recognition it deserves, it truly is A Great Place to Learn.

Posted February 8, 2012

We think Farrand is great! We have two boys at Farrand and they are very happy to go to school every day. This is our third year as a Farrand family and we have enjoyed the peace of mind that our boys are safe and getting a quality education from capable, caring teachers. We have had many opportunities to be involved in their education by volunteering in the classrooms and on the playground, movie and party nights, fundraisers, and showing up to PTO meetings and events like ice cream socials and Coffee with the Principal. We love the Positive Behavior Support system and the anti-bullying campaigns. Our kids are recognized with praise, special privileges and reward for positive and appropriate behavior. We can really tell how dedicated and knowledgeable their teachers are. We are especially grateful to the staff at Farrand for going above and beyond to include and support our son with special needs to get the education he deserves. The staff is resourceful and creative and go above and beyond on a daily basis. We are proud to be a part of the Farrand community of excellent teachers, a principal motivated to truly lead and help our kids with challenging academic programs.

Posted December 13, 2011

Farrand is a terrific elementary school. I actually read the reviews that were posted in 2007 and 2008 - before my son started there and I was a little worried. THe reviews could not have been more wrong. Farrand is a great place and my kids are getting a fabulous education. The teachers are great and engaged. THe PTO is always doing really great fundraisers and events. The parents are hands on and involved. We couldn't be happier with this elementary school - it is unfortunate it suffers from a bad reputation. I would put the education here on par with any school in the state. The new principal is excellent, engaged and dynamic. He will be a great leader for this school.

Posted November 28, 2011

Farrand is a great school in the middle of a large, established subdivision. Many of the parents and neighbors are actively involved in the school either thru volunteering directly or thru the very active PTO. Many of the teachers live in the neighborhood and/or have children that currently attended Farrand or did so in the past. I think this gives them more of a stake in how the school functions and what type of education they are providing the kids. I know that my daughter has loved all 3 teachers that she has had so far. They are enthusiastic about teaching, are keeping up with technology and allow the kids an opportunity to shine. I volunteer quite a bit at the school and I can tell that the staff really care about the kids. I have been impressed with the new principal so far. I really think he is bringing a cohesion back to the school that may have been missing for a while and I expect there will be many more positive changes to come.

Posted November 19, 2011

Our child is currently attending Farrand Elementary school and we have found the teachers and administration there to be outstanding!! The technolgy that is being used in the classrooms is leading edge and the teachers are top notch! Our child is thriving there and we could not be more pleased with this school.

Posted November 15, 2011

Farrand Elementary is an outstanding educational environment. The teachers are bar none the best around. They work incredibly hard at meeting the needs of every young person who attends this school. I have been teaching in a public school setting for 23 years and I have every confidence that each of my four children (one has moved on to middle school) will get a top notch education at this school. In wearing my teacher's hat I am sometimes hypercritical of the educational setting that my own kids are in and I can assure you that I have never been less than excited about what goes on at Farrand. I have been actively involved with Farrand for seven years now and the staff just keeps better at what they do. What they do is care about kids and at the end of the day that is what matters the most. In terms of administration, our community is so excited to put past issues behind us and welcome a new and dynamic leader to our forum. Great things are happening at Farrand Elementary everyday!!

Posted October 27, 2008

Overall, I found the teachers responsive to my questions and inquiries. I would highly recommend the school's multi-age program which allows 3rd, 4th and 5th graders to work in a highly collaborative environment. The PTO is a great organisation which organises many fun family-friendly events for the kids at the school. My only complaint is that there seems to be many times when a substitute teacher is teaching my kids rather than their primary teacher.

Posted October 1, 2008

I think Farrand is a great environment for my 1st grader. He is learning faster than I expected him to this year. I appreciate the homework they provide me to help me reinforce his learning after school. I am very happy with the teachers and administrators and am trying to do my part to be more involved in school activities. I believe the key to learning is providing a healthy attitude about school, the curriculum and learning. I am tired of hearing parents complain that their children aren't 'challenged.' Typically, I see this used in cases where the child needs to have more learning support at home not due to the school's shortcomings!

Posted August 23, 2007

I ,also, had two children attending Farrand last school year. I was surprised reading some of the feed back provided by other parents. I understand that no body is perfect including myself. My family went through difficult times last year and the school principle and secretary were very helpful, professional and very nice about if. They helped my family feel at home. My son and daughter never complained about their teachers, principle or secretary. In addition, I have approached the principle couple times regarding a student who was bulling my son. She listened, talked to both my children and handled the issue right away.

Posted May 18, 2007

I have had two children go through Farrand elementary, and I have been disappointed many times. although we did encounter some incredible teachers, I think the biggest problem with the school is the principal. Luckily, she is retiring this year. Hopefully for the students, this will greatly improve the feel of the school. It was not a lively or exciting atmosphere at school, the principal wasn't warm or approachable, and did her job 5% in my opinion. It always seemed she'd rather be napping. The secretary in the office, although I can see she gets her work done, is horribly impersonable and rude. She has spoken to me many times as if I were a child. My children avoided going into the office, even when injured, to avoid the secretary and principal.

Posted December 1, 2006

I had two children go through Farrand, both took advantage of the excellent multi-age program. Our experience was wonderful and both children are at the tops of the their middle school classes. Farrand's teachers are great, enthusiastic, patient and accessible to parents. The parent community is very active with fundraising and volunteering. The school has a particularly nice library. Both children look back fondly on their years there.

Posted November 19, 2004

My son currently attends Farrand (1st grade) and we are moving because the school is so awful. The leadership, administration and teachers are absolutely awful. It is November and my son has had at least 10 different subs and I don't think has had one full week with the same teacher. Same thing happened in Kindergarten. And, he definitely isn't being pushed to perform to his abilities/potential. I am so afraid he is going to be so far behind when he begins 2nd grade in the Novi School District. I wouldn't recommend anyone to have their child attend this school! Awful!

Posted July 13, 2004

My daughter attended the multiage program and now is at Canton High. Her MEAP scores on every subject have always been above state levels. This is because of the exceptional quality of teaching and leadership provided both in elementary and at Central Middle School. Our son is now going into the 4th grade and looks forward to going back to school in the Fall. He is especially bright in Mathematics and the school provides a higher learning level for those that are excelling as well as those who need more help in proficiency. Because of this, the students are no longer 'bored' and have become exceptional learners. Mrs. Kuhn is a great mentor to the teachers and provides exceptional leadership.

Posted November 30, 2003

As a past parent of a Farrand Elem. Student I have to say we were terribly disappointed in this school. The leadership was poor, the teaching quality was low average and the overall quality of education left a lot to be desired. There didn't seem to be any cohesive vision or definable goals during our son's time there. Because of this experience we left Plymouth-Canton schools for private and haven't looked back.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

64 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

Multiracial 5% 2%

• (734) 420-7022

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now