Pontiac, MI

Notre Dame Preparatory School 2

Posted November 11, 2014
I have kids in Marist and in the High School. It is not worth the money - they talk about the academics but athletics RULE the school! No different than the other big Catholic schools in this regard. Lots of kids come in on diversity scholarships, which are really athletic scholarships, and the mandatory $550 in raffle tickets that we have to pay, fund these scholarships. Essentially, you pay for kids to come in and take spots away from the kids who pay tuition! Coaches are tight and most have kids at the school that are on their teams. Lots of favoritism and good ole boys! Athletic Directory turns a blind eye to the favoritism. Some coaches are very unprofessional and belligerent to the athletes. Agree that if your kids did not go to Marist or Holy Family, the high school is a very unfriendly place. Seriously look closely before committing!

Posted June 27, 2014
Sent my son here for the Mandarin program. He has been challenged academically and made many friends. The music program was the big surprise. It has helped him socially fitting in coming from a small school. I do wish there was more diversity.

Posted March 07, 2014
Honestly, as a Senior looking back on my experience, NDP has it's rough patches, but which school doesn't? the teachers are there to help you become the best. They PREPARE you for college, which is all of our goals. We want to achieve, and we do with the help of this really wonderful school.

Posted June 24, 2013
FROM AN EX STUDENT . The resin I left this school is not because of the academics or anything like that , but because of the cruelty of the kids who attend . The school is a huge political system and some one will befriend you then backstab you to get higher up. Don't even try to go to the administration about it . The pretend like it doesn't happen . The do every thing they can to get you in and once you're a student they could care Less . I was bullied class teachers heard and didn't intervene all year . Went to the counselor wasn't , effective , kept going higher and higher up and no one cared or would show sympathy for my situation or anything of the matter . Don't not send you're kids here . There's a small chance they will do great , but a large portion that they will be picked on , harassed , bullied , hazed , ex kids walk out of that place a worse person than when they walked in .

Posted May 09, 2013
Notre Dame Prep is not a friendly place. If you child did not go to Marist or Holy Family, please pause before committing to NDP. If they tell you that your child will be nurtured and that their students are very welcoming, this is not the case at all. The admitting department is very friendly - look beyond this. The athletic department is deplorable - coaches and staff are unprofessional and allowed to behave without bounds. NDP is not worth the money academically - class sizes can be quite large, some teachers are not great, and they cancel core classes from year to year depending on interest (i.e. AP Physics). Students act very privileged and love to form cliques and go out of their way to make others feel left out. Not a Christian atmosphere. Having attended a Catholic high school myself, I expected better from NDP.

Notre Dame Preparatory School 3

Posted January 04, 2013
I love Marist Academy K-5, Mr Frank is an EXCELLENT teacher and I wish there were more teachers like him, but I am deeply disappointed with the middle and higher school. For outside kids transferring into the higher schools The administration leads you to believe that they care about your child and want whats best for the child, but that isn't true, it comes down to an interview and test scores without ever really getting to know the child!! All along they keep telling you, oh we look at all types of factors but that isn't true! It is very disappointing to think one thing and learn another...

Posted January 02, 2013
sounds like if you have money your in and if not, oh well we dont want you. After reading these reviews I am going to pass on ND for my two daughters!

Posted May 09, 2012
I disagree completely with the poster who said that NDP has a bias toward the Marist Academy kids. My daughter transferred to this school her senior year. I was apprehensive as she didn't know anyone, but I could not believe how quickly she was accepted by the students and staff. She made a ton of friends and excelled in her studies. The classes were tough and motivated her to try harder. I think she finally learned how to write papers due to her AP English teacher's efforts. I can't say enough about the student body--the thing that stood out in my mind, at NDP it is cool to be smart. I would recommend Notre Dame Prep to anyone looking for a private school education.

Posted February 12, 2012
It seems that most of the good reviews for NDP embody what the school really is: a big advertisment of "what they have to offer". The attitude of the students, staff, and administration is that once you've registered for the school, they don't need to put up the smokescreen anymore because they've "already got you". It's always about the money or the trophy with them. NDP's academics are basically slapping an IB sticker on everything they assign, and bias toward the MA kids is apparent. The entire school is comprised of cliques, and it's extremely hard to mingle with more than one of them. The school is incredibly "exclusive" in that they don't care about your child unless you donate money for them to buy a new building or an addition to a sports team. Notre Dame Prep is not worth the time, money, or aggravation.

Posted May 01, 2010
I am currently a junior at NDP, and I sincerely couldn't be more happy. There are so many positive aspects of the school. The main focus is academics, in which we rank highest among all Catholic schools in Michigan. The education I am receiving is unparalleled to any area school. There are so many opportunities for advancement within the school curriculum. Some classes are harder than others, but all classes are academically challenging. A parent below seemed to suggest the school does little to help struggling students, yet nothing could be farther from the truth. Tutoring by fellow students is done every week by members of the National Honors Society in the Media Center, and teachers, at least in my experience, have ALWAYS been accommodating when I needed assistance in their classes. Our beautiful landscaping (which is done by a former student's company) reflects the positivity of the atmosphere inside.

Notre Dame Preparatory School
1300 Giddings Road, Pontiac, MI  48340
Last modified Notre Dame Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Notre Dame Preparatory School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top