Arts And Technology Academy Of Pontiac

Charter | K-8 & ungraded | 405 students

Living in Pontiac

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted May 5, 2014

This school os the worst school in Pontiac. I would recommend not to bring your child there. The teachers are disrespectful. They demand and ask for respect. Students bully so much and if the teacher likes them alot, the student gets away with everything. This school is the worst in Pontiac. My kid sometimes comes home wishing they never were alive.

Posted April 22, 2014

Absolutely happy with this school! I have 2 children that attend here (my son is in 9th and my daughter is in 1st) and this has been the best school they've attended by far! The teachers and Principal are active in all the kids education and treat all children fairly. There is plenty of after school actives and my kids actually like going to school! (That's a 1st for my son). I look forward to seeing what each year brings. :)

Posted October 24, 2013

We have had alot of changes since I started teaching at ATAP 8 years ago. Leadership is phenomenal, the dedication from the teachers is amazing and the students are always challenged. with differentiated instruction. This is the key to success! ATAP is on its way to the top! Our MEAP scores continue to increaase each year and enrollment shot way up this year. Now we are a preschool-10 grade school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2012

My son has attended this school from K-7th grade. The school has gone through too many principals since he started. There are only a few good teachers and staff members that I really believe genuinely care about the students. But for the most part, the teachers don't really care about them. I am taking my son out of this school. He will not return for his 8th grade year b/c I am so frustrated with the staff and teachers. They do not reach out to the parents as much as they should. If your child has an issue in school, whether academic, social, etc., you will not hear about it until the end of the school year. They do not treat all of the children there the same. They have little to no activities for the children. Overall, just a terrible school. I should have pulled my son out of the school earlier, but I kept thinking things would get better. 7 years later, I can honestly say things haven gotten worse and worse each year. Honestly, I feel guilty that I have possibily deprived my son of the best education and learning experience that he may have had had I enrolled him in a different school. Please don't make the same mistake I did by sending your child(ren) to ATAP.

Posted May 13, 2009

I have two daughters that attend A.T.A.P one is in preschool and one is in first grade. Ms.Griffin and Ms. Looby are their teachers. Both of there teachers have a great relationship with me as well as with my children. Ms. Looby has gone above and beyond to keep my daughter challenged, and Ms. Griffin has taught my other daughter more than i realized she could learnat her age. I love A.T.A.P and I feel the teachers and staff are just as concerned about my kids education as i am.

Posted December 28, 2008

My daughter is enrolled in the preschool program at Arts and Technology. Her teacher Ms. Griffin is an absolute blessing and an answer to my prayers. My daughter knows her letters, sounds, colors, and shapes. I do recommend this class to anyone I see on the street asking about a place to send their child. My daughter has started sight words and will be over ready for Kindergarten. Discipline in the classroom is handled by Ms. Griffin and Ms. Debra who just started and is a wonderful co-teacher. My daughter gets 'homework,' and always completes it. My daughter is only four and already she cannot wait to do whatever is asked of her. I am trully blessed to have Ms. Griffin and Ms. Debra in my child's life. Thank you Ms. Griffin and Ms. Debra for your hard work and many blessings to you both.

Posted October 9, 2008

My daughter is in preschool. She's been thought so much in a short time. She has a great teacher Ms.G. My daughter can't wait for school to start especially over the weekend. This school is a home away from home for her. She started here at age 3 & I just couldn't believe all the knowledge her teacher has taught her. I didn't know kids that age could learn so much. I'd definetly recommend this school to parents of preschool children.

Posted September 18, 2007

My children have attended for 3 years and I feel they are getting a quality education. My son was struggling and although he attended the after school tutoring he was held back. The only negative I have concerning this school is I feel I wasn't informed of my sons lack of progress until the end of the year... and yes I did attend conferences. There needs to be more communication about academics as opposed to discipline. I will get 2 or 3 calls about him acting out but none about his academic performance. I'm glad they have a basketball team now but I wish there were other sports and a music class.

Posted July 1, 2006

We are definitly taking our kids out! They attended 2 years and to me, it was no better than regular pontiac schools. Very few after school activities, except the dance class that met 1 day per week. And then at the end of the year is when the teacher decided oh, maybe your student needs extra help. They just move them along to the next grade. The school is over crowded, the parking lot arrangements and child pick up this year was an absolute mess and very dangerous, and unorganized. The priniciple seemed okay. But I'm trying to figure out why my 5th grader had 3 different teachers this year. The teacher and the special education teach are not on the same page at all. And they just move them along. Its unfair to the students and to the parents. I need a school who cares not to move students along.

Posted January 13, 2006

This is the third year my child has attended this school, he will not be returning next year. The teacher spends more time disciplining than teaching. No sports, no art, no GYM! Maybe there will be changes now that there is a new principal but I'm not waiting to see.

Posted October 13, 2005

My kids are in their third year at this school. I liked the school initially, however when problems have come up with my son it seems they are not listening to us, the parents. We are trying to get the schools help with diagnosing him ADHD. But they have little or no experience with this. Its a great school as far as what the kids learn, and I love the uniforms. However, they really need more teachers that are experienced in dealing with kids such as my son. This year I am actually considering placing my kids elsewhere because of my disappointment in the way my son's situation is being handled. I would love to see them get some after school activities as well.

Posted July 26, 2005

I was not happy with this school at all. My daughter attended Pontiac PSA, now known as Arts and Technology, for 6th and 7th grade. I really feel like my daughter did not get quality schooling. During her 6th grade year, she never had a steady teacher until the second semester. They never had a class trip. It seems that the administration could have did something for these kids, seeing they do not have ANY extracurricular activities. Her 7th grade year was not much better. I will admit that I loved her teacher but the school did not do a good job of keeping the disruptive kids from disturbing the kids that wanted to learn. I left that school feeling like I had really let my daughter down by choosing that school. This school is not what school is all about. It is a shame.

Posted June 10, 2004

We have been in the school since the day it opened and though I still have some uncertainties about the leadership and quality of the school. I still believe it to be one of the best school choices for those living in the Pontiac school district. Reminder this is not part of the public school system. It is a charter and often this is confused. Things I would like to see more in the future. Less concern about the numbers and the financials and more about the children that are there to learn. We had several behaviour incidents this year and none have been addressed to my satisfaction. My belief being they are more concerned about numbers then the childrens well being. I believe that if they could get this part under control that they would be able to compete with Walton Charter without a question.

Posted August 26, 2003

I wish this school offered after school activities (sports). The staff there is very nice. I love the idea of uniforms. They need to enforce it though. Overall if it wasn't for this school I was going to drive my daughter to Waterford schools, because I didn't believe much in the Pontiac school district. But now I do.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

42 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

46 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

46 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 65% 18%

• (248) 452-9312

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now