Public charter
Portage, MI

Posted August 02, 2013
Amazing staff, teachers, principal and PTO. It's the best school we've had our child in and we went through four elementary schools already due to being a military family.

Oakland Academy 1

Posted January 31, 2013
PLEASE DON"T TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS SCHOOL. This school is very bad for academics. My daughter attended kindergarten thru second grade. We we moved and she started at a new school and she was so far behind even though she has been a good student at OA. Her new school staff could not believe how little she knew. I had to spend thousands in additional tutoring to make up for the lack of basics she should have gotten at Oakland Academy. PLEASE DON"T TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS SCHOOL. Until I left the school, I loved it because of the small class size and the family feeling, but we send our kids to school to learn and she was not doing that. My daughter is now in the 8th grade and thriving. She still blames OA for her struggles in early elementary.

Posted February 28, 2011
I cannot say enough positive things about this school. The teacher/parent communication on a weekly basis is outstanding, and allows even the busiest of parents to stay on top of their child's education. My two children are extremely motivated, and excited about learning and attending here. I have seen a dramatic improvement in my children's test scores, as well as their academics.

Posted January 20, 2011
This is our 2nd year at Oakland Academy and I love this school. My son is in first grade and he can read!! The teachers are excellent and keep the parents updated on what is going on in class on a weekly basis.

Posted October 19, 2010
I love this school! My son excelled (especially in math). The teachers are so genuine and really care for their students. My son get more than enough help due in part to the 10-1 ratio of students to teachers. Last year my son had 3 teachers in his class. There was always a teacher there to help him with any questions he had. They are very inviting to parents to come into the classroom anytime and see what the kids are doing. We just moved to Rhode Island due to the military and my son misses Oakland so much, that I've decided to take him back when his dad deploys next year. This is the best school I've come across in our years of Military stationing. Great great school! If you can drive your child to and from school, you owe it to yourself to give this school a try.

Posted October 07, 2009
Oakland Academy is a great educational choice for families. Strong communication is established between the school and home through weekly progress reports that provide detailed information on how a student is performing in each curricular area. Oakland Academy also provides a 10:1 student teacher ratio to promote individualized and whole group instruction. Oakland Academy strives to teach the whole child; socially and academically. At Oakland Academy everyone feels like they are a part of the Oakland family.

Posted January 26, 2009
Oakland Academy is the best school in the area by far. They have the best teachers I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. The school has won awards for the best charter school in the state and some of the teachers have been recognized as the best as well. The 10 to 1 student/teacher ratio is the best thing for all children in early education. And the weekly progress reports mean that you can stay on top of how your student is doing at all times and help them succeed. I really wish that the school would add 7th and 8th grades as I want my child to attend for as long as possible. I am so glad that I took my child out of the regular public school system after one year and found Oakland Academy.

Posted December 13, 2007
My child started at Oakland a little over two months ago, after having attended another local charter school for two years. I have been THRILLED with every aspect of this school, and so has my child! Behavioral problems with students in the classroom are all but nonexistent. Instead of wasting time dealing with problem behaviors (which was a major issue at our old school), the teachers are able to spend every moment in some form of instruction or development. Having two teachers in each classroom (with no more than 20 kids/class) allows the teachers to offer customized instruction to each child, instead of the standard 'one size fits all' instruction model. My child's reading has improved more in two months of 2nd grade than it did in the entire YEAR of 1st grade! He's having fun AND learning more -- what more could a parent ask for??

Posted November 28, 2007
OA recently won the Statewide School of Excellence Award. We've been at OA for 5 years and absolutely love it! Although there are not as many extracurricular activities as there might be at other schools, it makes up for it in adacemics. My daughter who is in their 6th grade is performing at an 8th grade level. They have the ability to continue to challenger her. We think so highly of the school that our newborn will go there as soon as he is school age. Never ever will I go back to the public neighborhood schools. I do have one grievance. After this year we have to move to another school as they don't offer a 7th grade. They have really spoiled us for other school programs. Thank you OA for everything you do!

Posted November 05, 2007
My son has attended O.A. since kindergarten and is now in the 6th grade. The class size and weekly progress reports are great. The rules for appropriate behavior are clearly defined and enforced. The students are able to to do advanced work within their classroom or with another class. The principal is a great motivator to both the faculty and the students. You never have to worry about the children's safety at this school. The school does not have some of the extracurricular activities of other schools but I will happily miss that for small class sizes and personal attention that all of the student receive. Oakland Academy recently was awarded 'Michigan Charter School of the Year for 2007 '. Need I say more !

6325 Oakland Drive, Portage, MI  49024
Last modified Oakland Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top