Loy Norrix High School 5

Posted January 09, 2013
As a alumni of Loy Norrix I would highly recommend the school to prospective students. Yes it has a bad rap and you hear mostly about the negative aspects to it but it was a wonderful school for me and I don't regret a minute I spent there. I was very active in athletics and the music department all of my 4 years there. I never once had a problem with a teacher, student or activity that I participated in. I was not a gifted student academically and I always had teachers that were more than willing to work with me after school and between classes to ensure my success. I enjoyed a variety of the classes offered including French, law and gym. Every school has its issues and Norrix is no exception however, don't let the amount of negative reviews on this site scare you away from sending your children here. High school isn't easy for anyone, you have to apply and push yourself in order to succeed.

Posted January 26, 2010
Loy Norrix has been a great disapointment. If you want quality classes you better be ready for a lot of work. Don't be slow signing up for classes or you will get classes like dancing, weight lifting, german. They have never been able to give my children the upper level classes they have asked for. We have sent 4 children there and they were lucky to get two or three classes a semister that were what they wanted. I must say that they have done somethings better for the last two. The Kalamazoo has helped a very little. Need many more parents that are willing to complain about class selection.

Posted December 13, 2009
Loy norrix is a wonderful school and people look over that fact the musical and drama department at Loy Norrix is marvelous! and the school is diverse

Posted September 16, 2009
We have a diverse, awesome school with great teachers.

Posted May 25, 2009
Loy Norrix is in sad shape. With the removal of David LaPrarie I thought it would make a turn for the better... but the administration continues to be weak and the students as a whole are not there for an education.

Posted October 01, 2008
As a senior at Loy Norrix High School I would have to say the future of this school is looking brighter. This has and always will be a safe school. The teachers are okay, its easy to tell which teachers will be helpful for each students learning form. The extra curricular activities are getting better. The new principal Mr. Edwards is the star that this school has needed for a while, he has made dicipline tighter and as a student I am glad he came.

Loy Norrix High School 2

Posted June 23, 2008
Loy Norrix used to be an excellent school. My older son had a wonderful experience there, but the climate has changed dramatically over the past 4 years. The halls are unsafe, students are allowed to wander with no intention of going to class. The safety of students is not a priority of administration as they look the other way for the most chronic offenderse. With the implementation of the Promise, free tuition for all graduates, there seems to be a decrease in accountability and enforcement. There appears to be a overriding mood of families will stay for the promise of college tuition and discipline can become secondary to the politics.

Loy Norrix High School 5

Posted September 23, 2007

Posted August 31, 2006
- a former student
I believe the biggest problem with Norrix is that not enough parents get involved with their children s lives. As a recent former student I never once felt threatened or unsafe. The diversity has had an amazing impact on my life. I would never think twice about sending my child or anyone else to this school. Norrix gave me many opportunities to grow and learn. I am thankful for my experience.

Posted February 08, 2006

Loy Norrix High School
606 East Kilgore Road, Portage, MI  49002
Last modified Loy Norrix High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Loy Norrix High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top