Bad
Good

Posted March 27, 2013
My daughter graduated in 2012, after 2 years at PNHS. Due to my husbands job we move from State to State a lot. Out of the 4 high schools my children experienced - this was the best. The teachers were dedicated to making sure the kids were geting the most out of what was offered. I had more than one teacher work with my daughter to pull her grades up. The Adminstration seemed fine, but I didn't interact much with them. My daughter graduated prepared for college, more so than she would have been at the HS we were last at.

Posted October 19, 2011
I am a Senior at Northern and it has honestly been the best high school experience that I could have ever asked for. The teachers and counselors push you to excel. The IB Curriculum is phenomenal. It's a ton of work, but it's definitely helped me prepare for college classes. I'm doing the IB Diploma along with dual enrolling at Western, and honestly, the Western class is much easier compared to my IB classes. The staff members make an effort to get to know you and I know of no one that has something bad to say about this school. It is definitely a great choice to put your children through.

Portage Northern High School 4

Posted March 10, 2008
I'm a graduate of Portage Northern, class of '07. While I think the academic experiences are phenomenal and worth enjoying, the recent changes in administration have made the school less than enjoyable. The administration refuses to listen to students and has highly restricted the student government's ability to act on school policy. Frankly, they treat the students more like they are prison inmates than adolescents trying to learn and grow.

Portage Northern High School 3

Posted February 25, 2006
I am a graduate of Portage Northern and My husband is a graduate too. We both have fond memories of our High School and when it came time to move into this Area with our children we picked Portage just so our kids could go to Portage Northern. My husdand and I where at first very please with our choice but recent changed in the Schools administration and policies is lead to tension, anger, adcedemic disruptions and mistrust of the school by both Parents and students. Until the administration changes it's way I would not currently recommend Portage Northern with so many other good schools near by.

Posted March 08, 2005
Having attended Portage Northern, I am a student who graduated in 2001 and I can say that Portage Northern helped me tremendously to prepare for college. I found that I was better prepared for all college courses, and as an engineering major, many of the IB classes I took proved to be beneficial in the long run. I would recommend this school any day, and maybe someday when I have a family I will move back to Michigan and send them to the same school I was proud to graduate from.

Portage Northern High School
1000 Idaho Avenue, Portage, MI  49024
Last modified Portage Northern High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.