Posted September 26, 2014
My daughter had an exceptional experience here at David Ellis West I wish they would open a high school many of the parents I know would return there students because they would be set up for success!

Posted August 31, 2014
As a former employee, I can honestly say DEAW is awesome and continues in making great changes to promote academic success!

Posted August 18, 2014
I love this school it is a wonderful school as well as the principal and staff

David Ellis Academy West 3

Posted February 22, 2013
The school is great but there are some issues that they really need to work on. An example is teachers. Mrs. Robinson isn't really the best of teachers. There used to be two math classes, one for the advanced and another for the kids who didn't quite get it. Now in 2013, they have all the kids in her class. She doesn't quite explain it well, even if you pay attention. She moves too fast in lessons and yells most of the class. She also has projects that don't even involve math! Mr. Hunter is seriously talkative. I barely learned in his class. Mr. Murray's is a computer class that teaches what is already known. He's rude and doesn't teach anything. The students would rather have Spanish back. Make sure you're child brings food from home. The lunch staff wears hairnets but they don't work at all and the meat is red at times and cold. Mr. Boseman is rude and constantly is telling to shut up. They need to find new staff or new students.

David Ellis Academy West 4

Posted December 21, 2012
My son attended DEA-West and I have to say that it was a good experience for my son. The principal is very active in school activities and notifying parents of current events via: e-mail, telephone, or by school newsletter, the office staff is professional and helpful, including the latchkey staff, other staff members and teachers. My sons' teacher Ms. M is a great teacher that showed dedication to her students. The only reason that my son did not continue his education at DEA-West was because they did not offer a GIFTED curriculum and his father and I was successful in finding a school that offered that for him.

Posted October 07, 2012
Parents are you still looking for a great school that lives up to its mission and vision. Look no more, come and David Ellis Academy West today!

Posted September 24, 2012
My daughter went to MacArthur University in Southfield. She's in the seventh grade. I pulled her out because she was being bullied by not only the students, but one of the teachers. She would never talk about her school day or be excited about her school work. I enrolled her in David Ellis this year, and saw a positive change in her immediatly. Also she's making better grades. So I'm loving it so far. And as far as administration, they are always kind and helpful to me.

Posted September 01, 2012
It's sad and unfortunate when someone writes a negative review just to hurt or harm the school or staff. Any review that isn't balanced with both positive and negative points are always suspect and typically comes from someone that has a hidden agenda to sow seeds of discord. My children are currently attending and will remain until they are promoted to high school. If these were legitimate concerns, there are avenues in which you could've addressed your concerns. Please set a better example for our/your children deserve better than this.

David Ellis Academy West 2

Posted June 10, 2012
My children went to DEA-W for a few years when my husband and I decided they needed to go elsewhere. This will be their last school year there. Our decision was based on the school climate and curriculum. It seems like there is nothing offered for gifted children. Those are the students you want to keep. The teachers are FANTASTIC! It seemed though, that they had to place most of their time and effort towards failing or non proficient students. It seems like rules are put in place by administration but they bend them to suit each kid individually. There is no uniformity with discipline from the administrators. It sounds good at the beginning of the school year but there are so many constant changes! Stick to something and make it work! Lastly, it would be nice to enter the upper school office and ACTUALLY feel welcome. I can't remember a time when I didn't feel like I was bothering them.

David Ellis Academy West 4

Posted March 06, 2012
I have a two children that attend D E A W, My daughter (1st grade) is in the Spanish program. (Teacher Sra Gardner) It was a little hard for her in the beginning but as time progressed she caught on and begin to excel and hasn't stopped. Sra Gardner does a EXCELLENT job with my daughter and I couldn't have asked for a better teacher for her. She has given us so many resources that help her to continue to learn while were at home and even to help for studying of spelling test. That alone says alot!! she is taking the time out to research and find websites that will be beneficial to the children. It shows that she truly cares about her students education. DEAW should be very proud to have someone like her as a teacher. I know I'm a proud parent and very satisfied with the education my daughter is receiving at the school. My son is in the 7th grade and has been there since the 3rd. He has had some struggles while there but its staff like Mr Hurd that try and keep him on track. Mr Hurd is another person that goes out of his way to insure that my child is successful along with following the academy's code of conduct.

David Ellis Academy West
19800 Beech Daly Road, Redford Charter Township, MI  48240
Last modified David Ellis Academy West is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
David Ellis Academy West Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top