Memorial Elementary School

Public | K-5 & ungraded | 459 students

Posted August 7, 2013

My daughter will be attending Memorial this fall. The Prinicpal was so warm and loving. I'm a little nervous about coming from a montosseri to a public school. My daughter seems to love the school already. I could mention parents names and the principal knew exactly who I was talking about.

Posted October 22, 2012

I have to say I am not too impressed by this schools special education program this year... They have already been in a couple violations of IDEA but hopefully things will get better, if not I will be looking into better schooling options for my child.

Posted March 24, 2012

100% love this school The Principal, Teachers and students, my daughter started in Lincoln Park schools which are horrible, i came into Memorial and spoke with Mrs.Holloway and immediatley put my daughter into RCSD. Anyone that has a bad expierence with this school im sure is just displeased with the outcome of the situation and feel the need to take it out online.

Posted April 16, 2010

A great school with a great staff, student population, and parents.

Posted September 18, 2009

A wonderful school with teachers and staff who care about each and every student as their own!

Posted April 2, 2009

I am truly sad to hear some parents talking so negatively about the teachers at Memorial. I haven't had any issues with the teachers here. I also have to disagree about not finding the culprit to a group of children not behaving. I just recently had an issue and it was dealt with properly. The 'culprit' was disciplined and the situation rectified. I haven't had any issues with my daughter what so ever the entire time she has been at Memorial and this is her last year. No problems within the girls, or girls causing any problems. I also have to say that each and every school district is different, and I don't see an issue with my child going through the city for an activity. I have done it several times now. I couldn't be happier with Memorial!

Posted March 5, 2009

Although my children are getting a good education, I would suggest trying a different school in Riverview. I am weary with the politics that go on in the school. I have had bad experiences with several teachers and I cannot wait for this year to end. The principal totally sides with her teachers in every situation. If a group of children are not getting along, they don't take the time to find the culprit, they just assume it is the entire group that is at fault. I can't speak for the boys at the school, but we have had many issues with girls causing all kinds of problems for other girls. There are also no after school activities- anything you want your kids to do has to be done thru the city. Sorry, can't give Memorial a 2-thumbs up.

Posted December 1, 2008

I am new to this school this year, so I am comparing this to her old school. I feel that the security in this school is terrible. I have had to pick up my daughter 2 times from school for doctors appointment, and neither time was I asked for I.D. They have no idea who I am and they just told me to sign the paper. They didnt even look at the paper to see what I signed. I could have been anyone off the streets. Also it is winter time...the kids are outside playing in cold rainy weather. When I called to inquire..the principle...Mrs. Holloway told me that she shends them out to play, regardless. If it is colder than 10 degrees or warmer..they will be out playing. Now I have been in parking lot when they have been at recess....completely unsecure.

Posted November 1, 2008

I have spent many years in this school and have had several kids...both boys and girls go through this school and I have had NO bullying issues. The principal takes care of every issue big or small and investigates it completely. The kids are very safe and well supervised at all times. The extras this school offers are amazing. The teachers are wonderful. I have had only one bad experiece with a teacher...and that is going to happen anywhere. This school is a family...the teachers, principal and the rest of the staff are very close and my kids have learned so much. They truly care about your child...and push him to do his best. They believe in the kids. We came from another district and I drive my kids to Memorial everyday from fifteen miles away because it is the best! Best descsion I have made for the kids.

Posted September 18, 2008

The principal takes time to know each and every child's name and birthday (and knows it by HEART!). The teachers always teach students to be kind and caring Memorial citizens and the students know they are encouraged to do their best every day!

Posted September 4, 2008

My daughter had Mrs. Van Eck last year for Kindergarten and we LOVED her! She puts forth 150 percent into the kids, her classroom and keeping parents informed. The PTC is another story. They make you feel very 'uncomfortable' if you are not a part of their 'clique', but yet always want volunteers. Even if you are able to volunteer at a certain event, they will not include anyone in as far as even conversation. We are all adults, we are not back in school to where a clique is the 'cool' thing. I think if they want more parent input/help, they need to open up more and not be so critical of new comers. We have had a wonderful experience so far, and look forward to the years to come.

Posted February 11, 2008

I am so happy with the choice I made to put my daughter in the riverview memorial Elementary...She is doing great...I think her teacher Mrs. VanEck is wonderful, so does my daughter..My daughter also really likes the Principal Mrs. Halloway also...

Posted July 12, 2007

I am the mother of a student. My daughter had Mrs Van Eck and I have to say, she was the most wonderful teacher I have ever dealt with. She is very caring and kind. She keeps the parents well informed all through the year. Mrs. Holloway is wonderful and cares very deeply about her school and the students. Only issue I had at all with the school was the secretary. She is not the nicest or easiest person to deal with. Especially when you are new to the school experience. Overall, I love the school and look forward to dealing with them for years to come

Posted July 11, 2007

i am a mother of 2 girls that switched school districts last year what a difference. my daughters are doing wonderfully the oldest was behind and with the help of all her teachers and her principal she ended up on honor roll. i am so happy also with the extra stuff that is done for the kids reading night,the music program is awsome i was so impressed with the end of the year concert.the best move anyone can make!

Posted June 16, 2006

Great principal, great staff, great district
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 23, 2006

Excellent school with very dedicated staff who go above and beyond to make sure each child is excelling. Parent Teacher Club is a very involved group of volunteers who put a lot into providing many extras for the students...they are always looking for new ideas and welcome new volunteers! Many hands make light work!

Posted May 16, 2006

The academics are excellent at this school. The parent-teacher club is somewhat of a 'clique.' Teaching staff is generally good but a bit of an arrogant attitude. Riveview is one of the better districts Downriver but a little humility and approachability goes a long way. Concerns for social atmosphere particularly for students who are different or not excelling academcally.

Posted May 2, 2006

I have subbed in Memorial Elementary School for years. I have come to know the staff, faculty, and students very well. I can say with the utmost confidence that there is no local school I would trust more with the education and safety of my future children. The principal, Mrs. Holloway cares deeply for the children in her building and takes her job very seriously. She will often spend her entire day dealing with issues that arise with the children and the children truly respect her. The secretary is extremely competent at her job, and can easily assist parents, children, and teachers with ease. She holds the school together and deserves more respect than most give. The teachers in this school are some of the most creative, caring, educated teachers around. The children respect each other and there are very few behavior problems. Memorial Elementary makes learning fun.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted March 5, 2006

In response to a the comment 'nobody falls behind' this is not indicative of special needs. This school is very good academically with high MEAPS. However,kids with special learning problems do fall behind. Parents are often left out of the communication loop and things are let go until the child is failing. This school also has bullying issues. My oldest was in several fights at recess in upper L and there little supervision. The recess aides were outside the enclosed playscape area when this occurred. We have endured much rudeness and slights by teachers, administration etc. Parents are often blamed for problems. Looking for another placement for my children. General education reviews and special ED reviews are like apples and oranges. This District has a terrible reputation for special education services. If you child has no problems will be ok, but watch the bullying issues.

Posted May 31, 2005

My daughter transferred to Memorial Elementary from another school that she was getting 'lost in the crowd', she is now doing excellant! I love Memorial Elementary and more important so does my daughter, she now loves going to school and is getting all A'S! Thank you!

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 5% 18%

• (734) 285-6664

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13425 Colvin St