No rating

Holy Family Regional School

Private | PK-8 | 945 students

Living in Rochester Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $145,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Posted December 4, 2012

As the previous post stated. Our first years were also wonderful. However, when we entered South campus, 4th grade homework was quite a bit. Then in 5th grade it was about 1-2 hours a night. NOTHING prepared us for this years 6th grade homework. This year 6th grade, we had an easy 3-4 hours nightly. Sometimes more if there were 2-3 tests the next day. My daughter was so overwhelmed that she had to give up activities to try and stay on task (never ahead). The teachers didn't seem to care. The administration never once looked into it after countless meetings and reviewing calenders. NOBODY cared, NOBODY listened and yet the school is down almost 100 kids in the last 2 years. Doesn't that raise a red flag? Why is it that administration is more worried about technology then it is about classroom size? Or even having ENOUGH staff members? Will the smart boards one day take the place of our teachers? I know I'm not interested in having my kids taught by a computer over a real life teacher. I want the sensitivy and warmth of a teacher. We are leaving over Christmas and will keep Holy Family, parents and their staff in our prayers.

Posted August 15, 2012

Our experience at this school was wonderful in the early elementary years. You couldn't ask for a better community of dedicated parents and for the most part, teachers. Unfortunately, from 3rd grade and beyond it was disappointing, as we found a lack of communication in regards to homework and and the classroom, as well as a definite change in positivity and the attitude towards the students. There seems to be a lot of negativity in regards to how students are addressed rather than the guidance one would expect from a Catholic school. Each year it seems the teachers are piling on more and more homework to accomodate the higher MI educational standards, instead of adjusting their teaching methods.With the recent change in administration and the retirement of several wonderful teachers, it seems that the general atmosphere of the school is changing overall, and I am concerned for what this means for HFRS going forward. Going into the 2012 school year, it is already starting to look like a school that is very different than the one we enrolled our children in under the leadership of the previous administrator. I am not sure if we will continue past this year.

Posted May 9, 2012

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." C.S. Lewis I am a proud parent of 3 HFRS students, I am also a public school elementary teacher. I am a product of Troy Public Schools, k-12. I have an undergraduate degree with special education and social studies endorsements as well as a graduate degree in language art and literature. I have taught middle school in Berkley as well as substitute teaching in the Rochester Public School system. With all of that being said, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with the previous review taking aim at the academic standards and quality of education at HFRS. Parents sending their children to Holy Family are not on receiving an awesome education they are receiving so much more in terms of educating the whole child. I have NEVER been to a school (and I've been to many as a consultant and a teacher) where the students are as respectful, hard-working, and morally balanced. Yes, I have seen the flip side to that coin, but it is the minority, not majority at HFRS. I encourage everyone of you to be free thinkers, ask the parents, interview the kids, don't make your decision based on the opinions of others.

Posted March 22, 2012

HFRS touts their academic program as "second to none" I respectfully disagree. Having sent 2 children through 8th grade at HFRS and 1 one through 6th grade then moving to Hart, I believe I can honestly speak about both systems. Like so many HFRS parents, we too believed that all our children were brigher than average. After all, my kids were all straight A students. My oldest and youngest were both in "advanced" math and involved in FPS. Certainly they were ahead of the public school kids right? Wrong! Our eyes were opened when our youngest got a reality check at Hart. No longer was he in the top math class. There were kids who were leaps and bounds ahead of him - how could this be? He was in an academic program which was "second to none". If you hear nothing else, please hear a bit of wisdom which I overlooked for too long: TELLING IS NOT TEACHING AND MEMORIZING IS NOT LEARNING - then look at the work your son or daughter is bringing home. As to school atmosphere, kids are kids, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. There are kids making good and bad decisions at both schools. A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf, chew on that a moment.

Posted February 15, 2012

Our son attended the North Campus K-3rd and then attended fourth grade at the South Campus. My husband lost his job and we were forced to enroll in Rochester Community Schools. While we had a very good experience at HFRS I must come to the defense of RCS as there are some disparaging and very undeserved remarks in earlier reviews. My son now attends Hart Middle School and previously North Hill Elementary. The cirriculum is very demanding (I think it was revised some years ago) the teachers are amazing and very dedicated. My son has made nice friends and we couldn't be happier!

Posted October 3, 2011

My children all went to Holy Family and received a great education. They were very well prepared for high school. The faculty and staff at Holy Family are very dedicated and go above and beyond to help students and families. There are many extra-curricular activities available for students. The parental involvement is excellent and provides so many opportunities for the students. The tuition that we paid was one of the best investments that my husband and I have ever made. I would highly recommend Holy Family.

Posted August 16, 2011

I am a former student of Holy Family Regional School. It is a great school, but there is a TON of homework. In order to survive this school it is easier to start here at a young age. I can't imagine going to a public school and jumping into Holy Family in the 6th or 7th grade. Yes, they do have some petty rules, but it is for the students' own good. Most of the teachers are great and the former principal was amazing! Unfortunately, she recently retired so I don't know how the school will turn out in the future. Both of my sisters go there today and are doing well. The littlest one has made more friends than ever and has excelled in her work. I would definitely recommend this school if the student is willing to put in the effort. Holy Family made me who I am today and I was seriously disappointed going into a public high school. It was so easy, the kids fooled around, and the teachers were only willing to help when they were getting paid by the hour. (Stoney Creek) Shhhh...... Heck, please send your children to a private high school like Holy Family. It is for the best.

Posted April 13, 2011

Great experience at North campus (K-3) Not so great at South campus (grades 4-8) May be looking elsewhere for middle school.

Posted February 1, 2011

One thing is clear about this school...the staff is extremely dedicated to the well being of every child. The teachers are there because they want to teach and nurture the children, not because they have tenure or a good pension plan. The class sizes may be a little bigger, but there is a teacher and an aide in every class, plus an ample amount of support staff to assist. This is an excellent school.

Posted January 28, 2011

I am very pleased HFRS. My child previoulsly was at West middle school, where in 1 year I saw how his academic skill decreased, but I was lucky that I finally found an openning at Holy Family and was able to move my student. The teachers here are great and very involved with the students, my child loves this school and has improved greatly academically. There is no greater thing for a parent to see that your child is happy when leaving for school in the morning, and happy when he comes back in the afternoon and shares all the new interesting things that he is learning in school each day. The teachers are well qualified and really enjoy teaching. HFRS is a great school that I absolutely recommend. The Principal is wonderful because while being able to enforce the school's rules is very well liked by the students. HFRS really offers a great learning environment.

Posted May 8, 2010

Teachers have an excellent focus on educating the students. They instill values, respect, and the desire to be all that they can be to take their education to a higher level. Children succeed here and holiness is present.

Posted April 20, 2010

I can't say enough great things about Holy Family. Both of my kids are students and both have had some special needs that have been more than addressed by the teachers and faculty. There is no school perfect for every child or family but if you want your child to get a top-notch, competitive Christian education then this is the school for you. The frequent remarks regarding class size baffles me...I have neices and nephews in the Rochester public school system and they are the exact same class sizes as HFRS. For all of you that complain...get out of the Rochester District and see how large the class sizes are in other districts. My friend teaches 4th grade in Warren...she has no assistant and 40 kids. Now that's something to complain about.

Posted April 14, 2010

I read every review posted including the unfavorable ones. It's baffling to read comments related to large classroom size or that students weren't prepared for high school. It makes me wonder if those people have HFRS confused with some other school! In my school days there were 4 rows of 10 kids (40 per class) with 1 teacher and it worked fine! There was no such thing as teacher's helpers! There is no better-run school on the planet and we feel very blessed to have Sr. Karen at the helm along with many talented teachers on staff. Both of my children have attended HFRS since kindergarten; one is now in high school and the other is in middle school. Both are way ahead of their peers thanks to the cirriculum at HFRS, have a strong Catholic faith and high morals. It has been so worth the financial sacrifice!

Posted February 25, 2010

My son started attending HFRS in the second grade, he had gone to public school prior to that. What a difference HFRS made! Our son has blossomed academically and spiritually. He is challenged in his school work and takes great pride with how he performs. The staff are amazing people to work with and the parents are very involved. The class sizes are large, but the staff manage this extraordinarily well! I cannot image my children going to any other school and I am excited for my two younger children to start!

Posted February 4, 2010

We have a 1 st grader at the school and so far the school is bringing the best out of him. We have had wonderful classroom teachers that were able to balance the kids and make learning/school a positive experience! The class size is big , but having 2 teachers inthe class the whole time make it work!

Posted October 20, 2009

My daughter has learned more in the first month at this school then she learned all year at her previous school. Her class size is large, but she seems to get plenty of attention and the teacher seems to know exactly how she is doing in each subject. Each class has an assistant for 3/4 of the day. The families at this school are very involved in their children's education. It is a wonderful learning environment!

Posted July 7, 2009

Very poor academics. Public schools offer a higher level of education compared to this school. They have lost many families in the last 3 years due to the quality of the teachers and school. They are so behind compared to other schools in the area. The teachers are under qualified. There are just too many kids in each class. It's ridiculous.

Posted July 3, 2009

After attending Holy Family from kindergarten all the way through eighth grade I would say my experience there was something that I will remember for years to come. I struggled in many academic areas, but always had someone right there to help me understand and guide me through. I do not ever remember a time that I ever felt left behind or alone, because there was always a teacher or Sister Karen there to tell me that giving up just was not an option. Sister Karen was determined to know her students and their families and I remember her going out of her way many times to help my family in times of need. Holy Family is more than just a school. It truly is a family who is there for support and guidance both spiritually and mentally.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 9, 2009

I have two students (K and fourth grade) at Holy Family and I don't think they could be at a better school. The teachers in the lower school are excellent,professional and put the kids first. My kindergarten was placed with a different teacher for reading and writing and is now reading at a 2nd grade level. They really take their time placing kids at the different reading and writing levels so they can be sure your child gets the challenge that is right for them. I know that if you are unsure about the placement for reading you could just ask and they will be more than happy to adjust if appropriate. Kids are excited to transition to So.Campus where a beautiful building/gym/cafe/lockers and another set of great teachers are waiting for them. Sister Karen sets the tone at this no tolerance for bullies school. You won't find a better school.

Posted June 4, 2009

I can not say enough about Holy Family School. The staff and administration have a wonderful leader in Sister Karen.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%
African-American 1% 19%
Multiracial 1% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Jon Myers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • 248.299.3798
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (248) 670-0320

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom