No rating

Holy Family Regional School

Private | PK-8 | 913 students

Jesus Christ is the Reason for our School

Living in Rochester Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $145,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Posted June 3, 2009

I graduated from Holy Family, and go to Notre Dame Prep. now, and I feel like Holy Family has put me very far ahead of most of the kids there. Having been a student at Holy Family, I can say I liked all of my teachers and really can't pick out any one that i would say was bad. The negative reviews really aren't very justified
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 27, 2009

Excellent educational experience! High expectation set for all students! Holy Family has prepared my child for High School and beyond. My child has always been made to feel important and unique. I thank God everyday for this wonderful school!

Posted March 24, 2009

I am quite disappointed with paying the high tuition. I was expecting my child to be taught manners, religion, and academics. Neither of which have happened. Many of the students and parents feel that their children are entitled and give not very much respect to the teachers, peers, or fellow parents. The school does not follow a competitive curriculum with the Rochester School District and I will be sending my child back to public schools next year. Sadly, I wish I had more faith in the public school system before I threw my money away.

Posted February 26, 2009

Holy Family is a GREAT school! My grandson, SAM, is enjoying kindergarten and his wonderful teacher, Ms. Spisak. Sr. Karen is a superb administrator. Thank you for providing an exceptional Catholic School experience!

Posted September 8, 2008

I am very surprised to read this response. Both my children attended Holy Family School and continued to excel in the Honors and AP programs at Catholic High Schools. Both my children recieved acadmic acholarships from a variety of colleges. One would think this would be a difficult challenge if they came from a school where only basic stuff was being taught. I think this person is not telling the whole story in regards to the child, or children involved. There children may have been behind in high school, but who knows what type of students they were and what type of parental support the children received from home!

Posted March 13, 2008

I have had three children at Holy Family - all with very different needs and abilities. Each one has had great success academically, spiritually and socially. The children are respectful of one another and staff, parents and children alike are kind and community-minded. Like many non-public schools Holy Family administers the IOWA test which is a nationally normed exam. Our school ranks extremely high in the upper quartile, scoring better than 85% of schools nationwide. Students leave Holy Family prepared for high school and more. High schools consistently comment that Holy Family students are highly prepared to succeed and perform well in high school placement exams, honors and AP courses. I am grateful for Holy Family administration, staff, families and children. There are few places with the right stuff coordinated so well. There is no doubt that the Holy Spirit smiles on this school.

Posted March 5, 2008

I had the unfortunate experience of sending my children to Holy Family. It was the biggest mistake. The teachers are under qualified and don't care about the children at all. The main concern of this school is not the education but the bottom line. How much money you can give or raise for them. The school is far behind of the times as far as computers, language, reading. They have lost many families in the last 3 years because of the teachers attitudes and their lack of knowledge. Some classes have close to 35 kids in 1 class. The teachers are unequipped mentally and academically to handle it so they take their grievances out on the kids. There is no second language offered untill 4th grade and even then it is very weak. Public school is far superior to this particular school. For child's sake, pass on this school.

Posted February 22, 2008

My child has attended Holy Family since Kindergarten. I have been pleased with the school administrators. The majority of the teachers are extremely dedicated to the students. I am not as happy with some of the middle school teachers. They are rude and sarcastic in the classroom. They also seem to be the least creative of the teachers. Just an observation. I have no regrets in my choice to educate my child at Holy Family.

Posted February 2, 2008

Jesus Christ is the reason for Holy Family School. Our children attend Holy Family for the excellent academics and faith based discipline. The faculty & staff are top notch - this starts at the top with Sister Karen. We have children at the lower elementary through middle school and have been extremely happy with our decision to send them to Holy Family.

Posted January 31, 2008

This school was a terrible choice for my children. They were bored in class because the teacher was teaching them very basic stuff. When they go into high school they will be very behind.

Posted August 21, 2007

I currently have 2 children at Holy Family. I feel very blessed to be a part of such a wonderful school. Our principal and teachers are very loving and caring toward the children as well as the parents. The education they have received has been outstanding. I would recommend this school to any family.

Posted August 13, 2007

My son attended full day kindergarten at Holy Family last year. I was very disappointed. Before starting school we were told that they would work with our son at his pace and we were surprised to find just the opposite. Reading is not on the curriculum for Kindergarten. It is strictly letter sounds and 'letter people'. Our son, like many others were already reading. Holy Family did nothing to change their curriculum and were unwilling to work with us to provide more advanced work. I feel my son was held back academically. I am curious how many of the Kindergartners are returning for First Grade.

Posted June 7, 2007

The level of parent involvement is phenomenal! Everyone acts and feels like family. It is such a warm and comforting feeling to send your child to a school that wraps their arms around them, makes them feel valued and special, and teaches them about the love of Jesus Christ. I would recommend this school highly to anyone interested in a loving experience, works well with the children in academics and provides wonderful opportunities for growth, spiritually as well as educationally.

Posted April 20, 2007

HFRS is the best place for our children. The administration and staff goes above and beyond what is expected to make it a moral based school that is academically challenging in a caring environment. Strong study habits and leadership skills are taught from the earliest grades so that these skills are second nature to the children. Teachers encourage parent involvement. I challenge anyone to find a better school.

Posted February 20, 2007

Holy Family has been a blessing for our family. The curriculum is amazing and has far exceeded any other school we have looked into. The staff is remarkable and always available to any parent. The parent involvement is exceptional. We could not ask for a better school. The values and morals we teach our children at home are being further taught at school. We are so grateful to Holy Family and the wonderful staff for supporting us as parents.

Posted February 9, 2007

My child went to Holy Family for 2 years. It was 2 years too long. The school is over crowded. The education is very poor. The students are always behind when they go on to high school.

Posted January 21, 2007

We are so blessed to have our children attend HFRS. My son was overlooked in public schools and within the first week at HFRS, they had placed my child in more challenging courses. We have been to many private schools and could not find one that we felt at home until HFRS. The teachers are wonderful and very caring. The principles are truly amazing and always available. The children are respectful, well mannered, caring and kind. The parents are very involved with their children and have given them a wonderful Christian foundation.

Posted January 15, 2007

My children attended two years of Holy Family. The class size does not allow for a quality education. When I enrolled my children, I was told that there are 2 teachers per class - that was not true. I was told that Spanish was taught from Kindergarten, that was not true. Spanish is not taught until 5th grade. My biggest regret is that I waited 2 years to remove them. We are now happy with our children's new school, but they are very behind academically because of Holy Family.

Posted June 20, 2006

Holy Family is a great school. We have been connected with HF for many years. The kids get a very good education. Thye also grow in their knowledge of God and Jesus through the teachings of Sr. Helen and Sr. Karen.

Posted February 9, 2005

Addendum to previously submitted rating. Last line should read, 'dreading the thought of our time at HFRS ending. It's been a pleasure.'

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%
African-American 1% 19%
Multiracial 1% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Jon Myers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • 248.299.3798
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (248) 670-0320

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom