No rating

Downriver High School

Public | 7-12 | 49 students

Posted November 4, 2011

I attended this school from 2001 to 2004, and it went through a lot of growth and progress at that time, a after visiting recently, I see that that progress not only continues but has exponentially grown. This is a great environment for teens that for whatever reason had trouble attending their "regular" school. The teachers and office staff are warm and committed to their jobs, and committed to encouraging kids to show their best side, by working not only on school subjects, but also on character, community, and responsibility. The sense I get from this school is that it will only get better. I'm really proud to have gone to this school. My parents had reservations about the program, but if I hadn't have gone to DHS I wouldn't have finished high school, and contrary to my parent's fears, I had no problems getting into a private college after I was done. Great Place.

Posted December 9, 2010

Our family became involved wih DHS two years one of our daughter's graduated in 09, We also have our youngest daughter who will graduate with the class of 2011 at the age of 16. Both our daughters chose to join the DHS family, I'm so proud of the choice they made it was a lesson to me, Never judge until you see with your own eyes. What makes DHS a success?? 2 word THE STAFF. If you want your child to get the most out of their education send them to DHS you won't ever regret it. I will always support DHS even long after our daughter graduates in June. I hope one person with doubts reads this and has their child check out the school and the staff they will find no place with staff so wonderful. Better yet join us for Graduation ans see the success for yourself you'll be amazed. HATS OFF TO ALL AT DHS YOU ROCK

Posted May 25, 2010

I wish there would be more dedicated principals and teachers in this world like at DHS. The Principal and the teachers give truly-from their heart and knowledge- back to the Community.They make these teenagers to succeed in life while giving them the self assurance they need so badly.This is what real dedication and real "pedagogy" is all about. My greatest respect, appreciation to the entire staff at DHS. My daughter is graduating and we thank you for it.Best wishes and continued success to all of you.

Posted August 20, 2009

I am so proud to say that graduated from Downriver High School! I had my daughter a month before graduation and if it wasn't for the teachers at that school I don't know if i could have done it. I thank each and everyone of them and I hope one day they read this because I truely do love each and everyone of them from the bottom of my heart! DHS isn't a school it is a family! I hated everything about school before DHS and now I honestly miss it. The teachers have such heart and want nothing but the best for there students. I will never forget the people and the times I had at DHS and I will forever have nothing but good things to say about the school. DHS gives a second chance to every kid that comes through those doors. They give young moms and their

Posted August 20, 2009

children a chance to have a better life a chance to finish school and go one to bigger and better things! There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't see a teacher pop there head into the daycare to say hi to the babies! I miss DHS and everyone there and I will be there soon to visit!!! <333

Posted September 22, 2008

When my daughter started at Downriver in her last year of school I was a bit unhappy. I was a bit embarrassed. I wanted to say she graduated from a well known school HA! I went to her graduation, and I have been to alot of them, and I have never seen such an unbelivable amount of heart as I seen in those teachers. There was no question they truly wanted the best for their students. I was so proud. So the lesson here is an old one; Never judge a book by it's cover. My son now goes to downriver & I am so proud that he is finally getting the education, guidance, & caring that he never got from his former school. You are not just a number at Downriver, you are an individual; a cared about person. You go Downriver!

Posted August 25, 2008

As a current teacher at DHS, I was sad to see such a low rating. This rating is clearly based on the past. There is a new attitude at DHS. The students and staff are building something that each and every one of us can be proud of. I am PROUD to say that I teach at DHS. Go Bulldogs.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 29, 2008

I have had the opportunity to teach at Downriver HS since 2001 and have been overjoyed at the growth and progress we have made as a school and the connections with our community. We hope you all will join us in improving our school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 4, 2008

DHS happens to be one of the best schools I have ever been to. DHS has given me a chance to take advantage of my education.and I have. students at DHS are very nice most of the time.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

13 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 14% 18%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A48%
Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

33211 Mccann Rd