Romeo High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1786 students

Posted February 16, 2014

Wondering if this has anything to do with the new common core. TheBlaze.com reported: Dad Outraged Over Biology Homework That Stepped Way, Way Over the Line Let s say your high school freshman son or daughter asks for your help with a particularly difficult biology homework assignment. So you walk over, glance at the worksheet on DNA and blood type, and notice questions about a mother trying to determine the identity of her baby s father. Then question reads in part: She had the state take a blood test of potential fathers. Based on the information in this table, why was the baby taken away by the state after the test? Possible answers? Cab driver, bartender, flight attendant, and guy at the club. That was what Larry Basaj read on his daughter Audri s homework page from Romeo High School about 30 miles north of Detroit and he said he flipped.

Posted February 27, 2013

I can't believe how nice some of these teachers are, it's crazy! This school is amazing my son went from d's and c's in Shelby to almost all a's, it's like magic. The principle is so friendly, same with the staff. The location Is also very nice.

Posted April 24, 2010

I first moved into the Romeo school district because they had great schools, but in the last few years I have become very disappointed, especially with their math program at the high school. Many of the kids need to take math help in the form of paid tutoring to learn their math that is taught by the RHS teachers. Why are we parents sending our kids to school if we need to pay for additional math assistance, or reteach what was learned in school because it was confusing for them to learn? The school is not as up-to-date on the information taught in the computer classes either. On a more positive note, the sports programs have been exceptional, and my kids have excelled in the sports programs.

Posted October 20, 2009

I am a student attending this school and i find that it was a great experience.

Posted March 27, 2009

It was a bad school for kids to attend. I transfers my kids to Almont. The teachers pretty much more about themselves then the students. They yell at the kids for no reason. The kids are mean and bad. All the threats that they have.

Posted February 11, 2009

My child is a freshman this year and I have been extremely satisfied with the academics the school has offered. My child is not an AP or athletic student but does have a 3.8 GPA and is excelling. Unfortunately every school has a strong focus on sports because that is what brings students in to the district.

Posted January 18, 2009

I attended Romeo High School and severly disliked my experience there. In fact, my senior year I transfered to Almont High School because I was so displeased. Romeo High School just doesn't feel like a frienly place, unless you play football or are a cheerleader. I feel that most of the emphasis at this school is based on athletics, but only the major ones. Football and Basketball are what it is all about. Also, there are quite a few teachers who don't really teach. Everyone knows that if you get this or that certain teacher, you won't learn diddly-squat. This annoyed me a lot as many of the classes I genually wanted to learn in. Also, being in the band, I felt like no one cared about us. There was very little funding, yet the football team seemed to get everything.

Posted January 6, 2009

I am a graduate from Romeo High School and i cannot truthfully state that i enjoyed my time there. Most teachers couldn't give a damn if you passed, if you weren't an AP student (or an athlete) and you were struggling it was tough luck and better try next year. This was especially true to the math program. The best thing that ever happened to Romeo was the RETC center in which students who wanted to get away from the crowded halls of the high school were able to do so. Ive never felt so unprepared for placement tests in my life. Bottom line is that Romeo needs to stop Coaching and start teaching!

Posted October 18, 2007

Lovely school. My family moved here from Fraser. The sports, & academics here are much better!!!!!

Posted November 27, 2006

I thought education was about reading, writing, and math. I understand that in this modern society technology is also important. What I don't understand is the emphasis on sports. Yes, they are wonderful for the kids but being able to read and make change for a dollar is much more important. Teachers in Romeo need to concentrate on their jobs and not what they are doing on the football field as a coach. The math curriculum at Romeo is one of the worst I have seen and many children have to retake courses when they reach college. Get back to the basics. Do the jobs you were highered to do. Make the classes more enjoyable and not boring! Do what you are getting paid to do. Teach not coach!

Posted May 7, 2006

There are several advanced academic programs for children pursuing a college prep course of study. The fine arts programs offered at the high school are phenomenal including art, theatre, drafting, etc. All varsity sports are offered as well as a multitude of extracurricular activities. Parents are very involved with their childrens' education and participate in several different ways including committees and special event planning.

Posted March 14, 2006

I am a graduate of Romeo High School now attending the University of Michigan and couldn't be prouder of my education. I love U of M, but I would love to be back in those high school halls again. Romeo offers something for everyone, it's small enough so that everyone knows everyone, but large enough so when children are transplanted into larger settings, they're able to cope. On a lighter note, the athletics are amazing. Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, you name it and Romeo High is conference champions and headed to the state playoffs year after year. Not to mention that they have a state championship cheerleading program! I loved every minute of my k-12 education in the Romeo School System and will forever be a bulldog for life! Go dogs!

Posted December 28, 2005

I am a parent of 3 children that have attended Romeo High School and did well.When we moved to the area from a small district,I knew there would be differences but,I had no idea the differences would be as they were.The district has several teachers that are GREAT and take a real interest,but there are others that seem to be 'old school' & focus on the 'smarter' students then the ones that genuinely need a little extra time.Its common knowledge that not all teaching methods reach every student,I did find myself re-explaining teachings in a way that not only my child could grasp easier,but other students as well.In reference to the previous mention w/in the counseling office,we also had a poor experience. When info is consistently being asked for,return contact is expected.If your last name is w/in the last of the alphabet,dont expect much, she 'has to check into it'.

Posted October 15, 2005

I am a student that goes to the RETC. I go there all day, because the classes are smaller and the teachers know what they are talking about. I don't think the RETC is a total waste of money. Because I am actually learning. Because all of the classes train you for the real world. I am in the culinary arts program there and I am learning so much from the instructor that I want to become a chef. I enjoy the class because it is all hands on and I learn so much better that way, then learning it from a book. The teachers there are awsome! And that is the only word that I can describe it. PLEASE DON'T SHUT DOWN THE RETC!

Posted September 2, 2005

As a graduate from RHS, I look back on my education, and, while I count myself lucky to have had great teachers, there are a few on staff who, I felt, did not support my academic endeavors. I had a counselor who never would come back to me with information I requested and I felt like she never took me seriously. The Principal, I can't really argue against him, since he created an Independant Study class so I could continue writing.Too many of the extracurriculars revolve around athletics. They place an overemphasis on sports, when there are many hardworking clubs that do a great deal of good things in the community.

Posted July 23, 2005

I think that Romeo has one of the best high schools in the state. The teachers really seem to care about the students. On top of that every single kid can get involved in something outside of school. Everyone in the community really gets involved in making our schools something special which i think they do very well.

Posted April 10, 2005

I'm a Junior at the Romeo High School and I think that the RETC center was a waste of money. Yes it does provide other classes for advanced students. But, with the exploding developement in the area and students in each class it has done absolutely nothing. It's just as crowded as it was before. Plus the teachers are unfair to others. They are more apt to help those who understand more easily and get better grades than to help those who have more difficulties (that would require more work for them) who are just left behind.

Posted March 2, 2005

I think the RETC is a really great addition to the high school and i am a senior who attends it. It has really given me opportunities that i would not have had before and these parents are complaining about how there freshmen dont plan on going back. the only reason for that is because its difficult, would someone please tell them to grow up.

Posted November 12, 2004

I have 9th and 10th graders at RHS. Both of my children love it at the High School. My son attends RETC in the afternoon and he also loves it there. I feel the Romeo School District has tried to offer our children as many learning opportunities as possible. I have to strongly agree that the district does need an additional high school. I would think that they could move the high school to the Powell building, along with the RETC right next door and use the current H.S. as an additional middle school. As far as the education my children are receiving, if a child likes their teachers, and mine do, they are more apt to learn from that teacher. I think the teachers and staff at RHS are wonderful and the learning opportunities are abundant. Also, the parents of RHS students are committed and supportive of this High School.

Posted October 31, 2004

I think that the RETC, that was recently built, was a waste of time and money that could have been used for the High School facility that is already in use. Many students that are freshmen are already talking about their plans to not return back to the RETC next fall, and this is only the first quarter. Students usually are late upon their arrival back to the High School, and are late for their next scheduled class. The RETC provides the same classes as the ones at the high school and the students are wasting valuable class time to and from the RETC. I think that this building is a 'white elephant.' Many other post comments have talked about how they think it is great because other districts dont have it. Well no wonder they DONT HAVE IT, because they know it is a WASTE OF MONEY! - Very Disapointed

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

416 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2014.

417 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2014.

419 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 28% in 2014.

421 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 44% in 2014.

418 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

422 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Math

Economically disadvantaged37%
Students with disabilities10%
Students without disabilities60%

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 2% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mr. Michael Kaufman
Fax number
  • (586) 752-0402

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education