1,336 students|Royal Oak Schools

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Royal Oak High School is an excellent learning community for students. There are a wide range of AP and Honors classes for advanced learners like my daughter and her friends. There is also a great deal of support for students who struggle. The communication from the principal and the superintendent is wonderful! There are also a huge number of sports and clubs in which children can participate. It is a great high school.

I didn't even want to give this school a single star. I am a former student and I've got to tell you, throughout my years at ROHS, I only had a handful of helpful teachers (quite a few of them are only there because they have seniority), had a teacher that wasn't certified teaching English my senior year (which she used as a chance to push her "Holocaust Guilt" agenda) and ate food that had, at points, made me incredibly ill. Not to mention that if you come from a single parent household, the "counseling" and office staff (if you can even call them that) look at you like you're a leper; not to mention they are the most unhelpful, dishonest group of people in the counseling profession. I only found solace in a handful of excellent teachers. If you can avoid having your child in this district, I highly recommend you look elsewhere. They do not do anything to stop the harassment some students must deal with daily (and speaking as an LGBT student, it WAS daily), and the worst part is that they will try programs and events to promote anti-bullying, but it really is all for appearances, and the students know it. That's why they don't take this district seriously, and now neither do I.

I went to this school and its absolutely horrible. First of all, the staff is very rude and they don't care about the students at all. Its basically a jail, all 4 grades have to share the lunchroom since they have a new rule that no one can leave for lunch anymore. The food is barely edible I've seen mold on it before and it tastes like cardboard. They are so focused on enforcing all the strict rules that they can't bother to give the students a good education. Very rude and disrespectful people. I can't think of anything positive about this school, take my advice and go somewhere else.

Good programs music, sports and special education. Good communication with teachers, principal and active parent committee. Great school. In previous years parents weren't as active, just depending on the parents and how busy they can be with work. Teachers and principal are very helpful and stay in communication with me regarding my children at the school (two of the three are special education needs) AND good transition from middle school to high school. My kids went to Royal Oak Middle school and the transition was seemless. Good teachers, Good principal, and good special education teams to work on IEP and get state funding to help my kids out. Looking for a good school i recommend this place. I am a care-giver for my sister's kids after she passed away of cancer, so i am going to mark myself as "OTHER"

While the teachers are exceptional, my experience at ROHS was a painful one. The administration does nothing to support students or staff, and the underlying tension is difficult to ignore. I would seriously consider looking elsewhere. I am an honors student as well, and would have really appreciated more class options, smaller class sizes and just a more genuine atmosphere. This school is run as a business, not a learning environment.

I am a student here and I could not ask for a better high school experience. There are so many opportunities to get involved in many different clubs an activities. All the students in my classes are extremely nice and willing to help anyone. All of my teachers are also extremely nice and understand all of their students busy lives, while still pressuring us to excell in all academic areas. However, I am in honors classes so I cannot speak on behalf of other classes.

The post made on February 10,2011. Five stars for you. I agree totally. I think some parents don't get it you have to be involved in your child's education experience and stop blaming the school teachers and staff are not thier to babysit your highschooler but to instruct your child if your child needs help it's thier responsibility to ask questions. Allow your child to get involved. Sports can be costly try band,orcherstra, community service or working part-time so they won't be idle. As a parent join the PTA, volunteer that will show others and your child you care about the school and your child's education and well being. If education is a struggle for your child contact the school counselor or set up a meeting with the instructor and principal. Moving to this community soon. I'm exspecting great things.

Royal Oak high was so much nicer when I went there. It's a joke now. Not even worth considering. I really wish I could send my son to a different school.

My daughter is a senior at this school and I am i the process of looking for her another school. The harassment that is accepted and tolerated by the staff is unreal. I wouldn't recommend anyone let their child go to this school.

My kid came to this school from hazel park, Unfortunately that was a big mistake on my part. Too many students in this school end up in jail. Her grades have dropped from B's and C's to D's and E's this year because the school is not taking responsibility for providing these kids a good education. The lunch program is a joke, we pay full price for lunch and it's very expensive compared to HP. Plus they went to extremes taking the "unhealthy" foods out of the school - according to my daughter most of the food is gross and tastes like cardboard because they're too concerned about no trans fats and no oils and no sugar.. My advice is to just steer clear of this school. My concern is for the happiness and academic achievements of my daughter, both of which ROHS fails to fulfill.

Last modified Royal Oak High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12