Royal Oak, MI

Posted February 06, 2015
Great school. My kids (5th grade and 2nd grade) are excelling here! Great teachers and principal!

Posted February 04, 2015
Upton is a fantastic school! They have high expectations for the students, and help them work to meet/exceed them. The staff works well together, under the leadership of Mr. Grzywack. I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 12, 2015
This is a great school. Great teaching staff. Super place for your children to attend.

Alfred E. Upton Elementary School 4

Posted September 03, 2014
My son started Kindergarten this year. I love how the school made the transition easier for the parents and students. We had a Kindergarten Orientation and then a Meet and Greet with his classmates. It was nice that he got familiar with his classmates and his surroundings before throwing him in to the Lions Den. Other schools we were looking at didn't do too much to accommodate the incoming Kindergartner's or parents to make the transition easier.

Alfred E. Upton Elementary School 4

Posted October 25, 2013
My Daughter Loves Upton and tells me so........ I have talked with people who moved from Upton and they miss the extra activities for the students and parents. As a parent I am grateful that my child is so happy at this school!

Alfred E. Upton Elementary School 2

Posted April 12, 2013
This is not the place to send a child that does well academically. They'll likely get pulled down to the lowest common denominator which is where the teachers are forced to spend their time. The kids doing well or even above the average are not given attention as the out of district or newly moved in from a nearby district kids bring down the whole school.

Posted September 08, 2009
My husband and I believe Upton is a model school and perfect fit for our children. I know the quality of the school is a large part due to the outstanding leadership of our principal. As soon as you meet our principal you know that she is the most compassionate and caring person which makes it easy to entrust your children in that school. She has high but realistic expectations for students and staff. Coming to Upton was the best decision we made for our children. Glad to be back for another year.

Posted May 17, 2009
As a Parent of 3 kids, I truely love this school. I have never been involved in such a close group of people that care about kids before Upton. I highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a great school in Royal Oak!

Alfred E. Upton Elementary School 2

Posted April 15, 2009
Being new to the district & new to public schools, I'm bitterly disappointed with our first experience here. The full day Kindergarten program, while great in theory, is over attended/under staffed and the focus is soley on behavior management via negative feedback and punitive reaction rather than focus on academic achievement with positive reinforcement. My child went from a self assured 5 year old who was very eager & excited to attend school to a child with low self esteem that hates school. Although I've had several communications and 'study group' meetings, my concern was not fully understood nor well received - therefore, no appropriate solution has been offered. If your child excels in one area, is weak in another and may not be able to IMMEDIATELY follow all rules, I would not recommend Upton. I plan to change schools ASAP & hope to repair the damage done.

Alfred E. Upton Elementary School

Posted November 10, 2008
Thank you to Upton. My son was becoming a little overwhelmed with school and the principal and his teacher were able to work with us to work out a plan that would work. Great communication,

Alfred E. Upton Elementary School
4400 Mandalay Avenue, Royal Oak, MI  48073
Last modified Alfred E. Upton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alfred E. Upton Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top