PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Our child went through Shrine. The academics are okay, but when my child switched to public schools there were a little behind in what they were learning. Next, I could not agree more with several other posters, that the Moms are extremely cliquey! They don't welcome you in at all--- unless you are one of the lucky ones that come in and their particular child is friends with yours. Otherwise, they don't give you the time of day and for years, that was the case for me. I really just could not believe what i saw! It seems you have to live in the same neighborhood or have to be friends with them beforehand or good luck! I have seen some things that I have not seen since junior high. This is christian behavior? Hardly! And it's very sad! However, the Principal and Vice Principal are wonderful and are the best that any school has to offer. Thank God for them and some of the teachers! As some of the teachers at the academy are very cliquey with other parents as they have children at the school as well. That shocked me just at much. I could really go on and on about it as I saw so much of it, it was unreal. It does have an effect on you over time. It was not a welcoming environment as a new parent to a school and I was there for several years and it never changed or got any better. This is part of the overall feel of a school and since switching to another school, it is the total opposite of that environment. I felt people were extremely warm and friendly. That was not the case in all my years at Shrine and if I had to do over, I would not do it. And if this is not the case for you, good for you. You don't need to diminish my experience. I didn't say it was about me, but parents are involved with schools whether we like it or not, for our kids. It should be a welcoming environment for all. If I was the only one to say it was cliquey, then I might be wrong. But I'm not!

Our child started in the preK 3 program and is now in 3rd grade at Shrine. The preschool program is awesome and had my child well prepared for kindergarten. It was the perfect mix of social and academic. The preschool isn't much to look at from the outside but is very charming on the inside. So far our experience has been wonderful! The teachers are very good at what they do. All of them (that we've had so far) have been very communicative. You can tell that they love your children and are ready to partner with you. We have formed many friendships with other parents as well. Everyone is very helpful and friendly and the community in general has been everything we've hoped for. Our child is looking forward to many more years as a Shrine Knight!

Amount of homework: Disagree

I think all schools, Shrine included, need to look at the actual research on elementary school homework and the detrimental effects it can have over the long-term.

Great school. We were brand new to Shrine and it has been a great experience for our kids. The teachers and families are wonderful. Everyone is so involved and it is a great family environment. I am not sure about the cliquey stuff posted here - all schools have cliques to some degree. My thoughts are that I just don't see this. School is for our children, not us. Also, in life, there are always groups of people with like interests - find them.

My child has been at the grade school for three years. We moved overfrom the public schools of royal oak. My child needed something more challenging. I am very happy with Shrine grade school. From my experience, the staff is very caring. The common respect I see amongst the staff and students is something I have never seen in public school. I like the challenging academics at Shrine. I agree with earlier comments about the moms and the step ford wives and such. But really you will find something that bothers you about the moms or dads at any school. I am not there to hang out with the parents, my child is there to be challenged and to grow. If people want to feel high no mighty becaus their kids go to a "private" school, let 'em! I'm not going to worry about the parents. We will continue to send our child though Shrine until graduation of the high school. Anytime we needed a meeting with the teachers or principle, we were accommodated and we really have always felt that people care about the kids. We can not say enough good about the school. The comments about a hard service playground......really? Are you sending your child to a resort to play or a cool to learn? The recess is 15 minutes and the kids have fun anywhere!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

It continues at home also. Mint is up to the parents to reinforce what is taught in school.

I cannot believe the negative reviews. My daughter went through all seven years at Shrine. I am a teacher at the local public school district, and I chose to keep my child at this school because they are so far beyond the rest. The academics are second to none. The teachers are knowledgeable and dedicated. They understand quality instruction. The principal is outstanding. She is a leader who understands good instruction and is not afraid to educated parents about what they do and why they do it. Many principals are afraid to ruffle parent's with the truth. Even though I am a working mom, I still found time to be involved, and never felt excluded by the stay-at-home moms who volunteer all of the time. I highly recommend this school.

We transferred here this year and can't say enough about it. One child wanted change, one did not. Both love it. The community is awesome. I knew no one and people reached out and included this working mom. The husband is active in the dad's club - which is shocking and wonderful to see! The community is big on giving, and its heartwarming. Organized, events are registered for online, so there is no pressure and easy. The kids are a great mix of different personalities, honestly I am amazed how nice the kids are to each other as a whole. Office staff and teachers are compassionate. My kids have had to step up the academics which is great. Shock how much they are learning in geography, social studies, history, math is full speed ahead! Mom has to go back to school to keep up with the car talk! Best move we have made.

Shrine provides an excellent education, and the children are also taught how to live out their Catholic Christian faith. This school is such a gift to our family. Our children are thriving and growing into well-educated, kind, Christian people, thanks to this wonderful school!

We have 3 kids now going here. My wife and I feel the teachers are very caring, we however don't recommend the pre-school, our youngest went into a shell after a few months and is just now starting to act like she did before going there, The academics are acceptable; my kids are on par with any other school in the area. The only bad part is the clickyness of many moms. It can be astonishing sometimes and it is sad to see adult women act the way they do. They want their kids to only play with their friends kids, which blatently leaves out other kids. Other women are desperate to fit in and you almost want to pity them. The behavior of these parents shows in their kids too, theres a no bulling policy but there is mental bulling and ostrsism between groups and certain kids. We wish the school would address this and provide counseling services. This should never happen at a catholic school and a disgrace that it does. You should also understand that the only way the school gets money is through tuition and donation. Keeping a school and church running is not cheap, it's something you should understand when your part of a parish community. To recap: really good school, very catty moms.

Last modified Shrine Catholic Grade School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6