PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted October 02, 2015
My child has been at the grade school for three years. We moved overfrom the public schools of royal oak. My child needed something more challenging. I am very happy with Shrine grade school. From my experience, the staff is very caring. The common respect I see amongst the staff and students is something I have never seen in public school. I like the challenging academics at Shrine. I agree with earlier comments about the moms and the step ford wives and such. But really you will find something that bothers you about the moms or dads at any school. I am not there to hang out with the parents, my child is there to be challenged and to grow. If people want to feel high no mighty becaus their kids go to a "private" school, let 'em! I'm not going to worry about the parents. We will continue to send our child though Shrine until graduation of the high school. Anytime we needed a meeting with the teachers or principle, we were accommodated and we really have always felt that people care about the kids. We can not say enough good about the school. The comments about a hard service playground......really? Are you sending your child to a resort to play or a cool to learn? The recess is 15 minutes and the kids have fun anywhere!

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 02, 2015
All. The teachers, front office, Maintenon, and principle. Thank you all! Much appreciated. Thank you

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted October 02, 2015
It continues at home also. Mint is up to the parents to reinforce what is taught in school.

Posted February 19, 2015
I cannot believe the negative reviews. My daughter went through all seven years at Shrine. I am a teacher at the local public school district, and I chose to keep my child at this school because they are so far beyond the rest. The academics are second to none. The teachers are knowledgeable and dedicated. They understand quality instruction. The principal is outstanding. She is a leader who understands good instruction and is not afraid to educated parents about what they do and why they do it. Many principals are afraid to ruffle parent's with the truth. Even though I am a working mom, I still found time to be involved, and never felt excluded by the stay-at-home moms who volunteer all of the time. I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 13, 2015
We transferred here this year and can't say enough about it. One child wanted change, one did not. Both love it. The community is awesome. I knew no one and people reached out and included this working mom. The husband is active in the dad's club - which is shocking and wonderful to see! The community is big on giving, and its heartwarming. Organized, events are registered for online, so there is no pressure and easy. The kids are a great mix of different personalities, honestly I am amazed how nice the kids are to each other as a whole. Office staff and teachers are compassionate. My kids have had to step up the academics which is great. Shock how much they are learning in geography, social studies, history, math is full speed ahead! Mom has to go back to school to keep up with the car talk! Best move we have made.

Posted September 28, 2014
Shrine provides an excellent education, and the children are also taught how to live out their Catholic Christian faith. This school is such a gift to our family. Our children are thriving and growing into well-educated, kind, Christian people, thanks to this wonderful school!

Shrine Catholic Grade School 3

Posted September 05, 2014
We have 3 kids now going here. My wife and I feel the teachers are very caring, we however don't recommend the pre-school, our youngest went into a shell after a few months and is just now starting to act like she did before going there, The academics are acceptable; my kids are on par with any other school in the area. The only bad part is the clickyness of many moms. It can be astonishing sometimes and it is sad to see adult women act the way they do. They want their kids to only play with their friends kids, which blatently leaves out other kids. Other women are desperate to fit in and you almost want to pity them. The behavior of these parents shows in their kids too, theres a no bulling policy but there is mental bulling and ostrsism between groups and certain kids. We wish the school would address this and provide counseling services. This should never happen at a catholic school and a disgrace that it does. You should also understand that the only way the school gets money is through tuition and donation. Keeping a school and church running is not cheap, it's something you should understand when your part of a parish community. To recap: really good school, very catty moms.

Shrine Catholic Grade School 1

Posted June 23, 2014
Very disappointing. Poor academics and pompous moms. Busy parents who work and unable to volunteer are excluded, so are their children. We had friends coming to one of the social events in school and they were appalled by the whole "stepford wives" atmosphere. Very poor history, math, literature education. School unable or unwilling to deal with problem kids who make so many other children miserable , probably because their parents have more children in Shrine schools, so they bring more money. I will never recommend this school to anyone. We will just try to forget what a horrible experience we had there.

Posted May 16, 2014
I am shocked by the bad reviews on here, especially about the lack of parent involvement! I have become such good friends with many of the parents because of volunteering. As a home room mom, I never need to ask twice to get help from the parents! We also have great scores in math, reading and science! We are listed third in the entire area. It is obvious some of these reviewers had a bad experience with someone at the school and are judging the whole school based on that! It is a terrific family to belong to, that's what it is, a family!

Posted April 30, 2014
My son had some real behavioral challenges this year in the classroom. All three teachers in his grade work tirelessly with him in such a POSITIVE way. The thoughtful emails I received from the teachers brought me to tears. I knew my child was in a place that he was loved and cared for. I couldn't be more pleased.

1621 Linwood Avenue, Royal Oak, MI  48067
Last modified Shrine Catholic Grade School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Shrine Catholic Grade School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top