Saginaw, MI

Posted March 04, 2014
My daughter has had a great experience at Handley. The curriculum is challenging and she loves going to school. In addition to the academic rigor, the school also encourages creativity and fosters the arts. The plays and extra curricular activities (art club, chess club, sports etc.) are amazing. Unfortunately many local school districts have eliminated their gifted programs/ now offer a watered down version. Thus, Handley is a great alternative for gifted and talented children. It provides them with a challenging curriculum and fosters creativity.

Handley School 3

Posted February 18, 2014
I feel as though Handley is given to much credit for the success of the children who attend the school. They are tested pre-enrollment so they start off above average which is not attributed to anything taught by Handley teachers. My daughter attended Handley for 2 years and I was never notified of things that went on at school nor was i ever shown any work that was done in class! A majority of the work is sent home for the parents to do because the homework is impossible for a small child to do. My daughter was removed and is still as smart as I taught her to be before, during and after going to Handley.

Handley School 1

Posted September 05, 2013
My daughter attends Handley School, and has for three years. The school is mediocre at best. There are "principles" which the children are taught to adhere to, however on multiple occasions I have noted that the principal, as well as several teachers, are disrespectful, rude and generally treat the children as if they are chattel. We will be transferring to a new school.

Posted February 18, 2013
I am amazed by all that my children have been able to accomplish at Handley. As a teacher, it is refreshing to see parents and students who WANT to learn, who WANT to be at school, and who give it their all everyday. The school plays that they put on and the walk about are incredible. The teachers are great about letting parents know what is going on at the school. Mrs. Coulliard very much impresses me, and always stresses the importance of hard work to the children. I am so happy I transferred my children to this school. They ride the bus from Bay City, and while it is a long bus ride, it's worth it. My children now enjoy going to school everyday, and I finally feel like they are being challenged. For the most part, the children who attend this school are very well behaved. My daughter was in the spelling bee, and when she got out, she was not laughed at. Instead, she was given high fives and congratulations by her peers. What a refreshing change!

Handley School 1

Posted May 17, 2012
This school has wonderful teachers, however, we left because of IB program. It is teaching children WHAT to think, not HOW to think.

Posted October 20, 2009
The school teaches the students organization, and responsibilty from k-5th grade, and I love that.

Posted October 20, 2009
Very good academic curriculum. Lots of fun reading and math and my daughter enjoys them.

Posted October 18, 2009
The Handley staff assumes your child can excel and takes the time to make sure it happens in partnership with the child and the parents. I love this attitude and found this more productive than trying to talk my local school administrators into putting my kids in the accelerated tracks, and dealing with the hem-hawing about whether my child could do it or not. Handley says 'Of course they can; let's get them there together.' I love this school!

Posted October 18, 2009
It is a multicultural setting that also crosses all socio-economic lines. My own children attended there and loved it and now I teach there and love it. We constantly strive to improve in all areas. We have embraced the International Baccalaurette Program which will allow our students to become globally aware and take charge of their own learning.

Posted October 18, 2009
I love this school because Handley is like a close knit family.

Handley School
1101 North Bond Street, Saginaw, MI  48602
Last modified Handley School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Handley School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top