Saint Clair Shores, MI

Posted May 14, 2014
Great school to send your kid who is tardy every single day of the school year. I know of a student who is at least a half hour late every single day. Just refuses to go on time. Yet this school has not notified the truant officer, nor have they given any consequence to this child. MIchigan has a mandatory attendance law that is not enforced at this school. I know personally of other students in the district who were reported for truancy and made to go to court for having been late less than this student has been. Even the parent has not been made accountable. So if you have a student who just plain refuses to be on time for school South Lake Schools is the place to be. They just don't care if your kid goes to school or not.

Posted December 20, 2013
Another magnet for Detroit students. The kids are rude to the teachers and the Lead Administrator who I assume came from Detroit as well is rude to staff and students. My neighbor told me that she goes out of her way to harrass the older, higher paid, experienced teachers in order to get them to retire so she can save a few bucks for the district. I'm taking my child back to a NHA Detroit Charter school where the buildings are clean and the students are well behaved. I thought I was getting out of the hood by going to South Lake. Wrong on all accounts.

Posted December 04, 2013
My daughter attended SLMS for two years. She loved it and has moved on to SLHS and she loves that school as well. My son has been at SLMS for 2 years. He has been in the band program and his really happy there. There isn't a teacher in that school that isn't willing to help a student. I am glad we moved to this school district.

Posted December 04, 2013
I have two daughters. Both have had wonderful experiences and excelled at SLMS. They have bonded with the excellent staff, made wonderful friends, and received excellent educations. The South Lake district in general is a special place with special teachers and families.

Posted April 27, 2013
Another magnet for Detroit students. Dumbing down the school work to maintain the state test scores is a bad idea.

Posted April 27, 2013
I was nervous to send my child to middle school, but I have been very happy here. My son loves it. The teachers are great and both principals are excellent with dealing with any behavior issues. It is a diverse school, but my husband and I value this....the world is a diverse place.

South Lake Middle School 4

Posted February 24, 2013
All three of my students have attended South Lake Middle School. I have a 6th grader there now. The teachers there have helped him so much. They have worked with him on organization and brought him up in reading too! They offer support classes for kids who struggle in reading. We have found these to be great so far! My other son was in an advanced program and he felt very challenged. The homework work load was more than the average classes but it prepared him for high school. I understand people say that there are behavior issues there, but they are no worse than any other middle school. The teachers handle it and there is a program set up for students who do not follow the rules. If you are curious about the school, go check it out. They welcome parents. You will see that the teachers are caring, the classes are organized and the kids can get help if they need it. Teachers come in early and stay late to help kids. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Posted October 17, 2012
It is not the teachers, it is the non resident students and the students who did not grow up in St. Clair Shores and have parents who rent in the city only. They are uncivilized, disrespectful and say "ni##a" every other word all through out school hallways, classes and lunch periods. We had to send our child to the next district even though we live less than a mile from South Lake. Open enrollment is a double edged sword. Jefferson Middle School, by the way is Utopia compared to South Lake.

South Lake Middle School 2

Posted March 23, 2011
As a graduate of South Lake, I am disgusted at what the district has become. There is a serious lack of discipline, and although there are a FEW exemplary teachers, most are scatter-brained incompetents. my son went to Pare elementary, which the district closed. You could not have asked for a better school; apparently the success of Pare was a thorn in the side of politically motivated administrators who obviously abhore parental participation in district decision making. My son, an honor student, consistently complains of the frustration of students disrupting class, and teachers who ignore the problem, teachers that are unorganized(last card marking, they needed three extra days to get report cards out, as most teachers were unprepared to issue grades); imagine not meeting your deadlines at work! MEAP scores, fundraisers,and social events seem to be the priority, rather than education. i came to this website searching for alternatives, and i suggest anyone who is concerned about their children being prepared to tackle the competitive job force in a few short years pass South Lake Middle School by! this is proof positive that education reform is crucial in this state!

South Lake Middle School 2

Posted January 19, 2011
parent involvement? Not at this school. When I offer to volunteer my time theres nothing for me to do. Its my daughters 1st year here and theres always subs. Whats going on here?

South Lake Middle School
21621 California Street, Saint Clair Shores, MI  48080
Last modified South Lake Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Lake Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top