Saline, MI
Students enrolled: 1,822

Posted October 14, 2014
I don't go to Saline, in fact I live 3 hours away, but all of my closest friends go there. Everyone I've met there has been absolutely amazing, I want more than anything to go to Saline High School for the rest of my highschool life. By far the most impressive school I've seen.

Posted February 20, 2014
Saline High School is one of the top ranked schools in the state of Michigan. The staff is willing to help at a moments notice, the principals are wonderful, welcoming and always set a high standard. The student's are supportive, bright and willing to learn. Our girls are more than properly prepared for college thanks to this amazing high school experience. We have moved several times and have found Saline Area Schools to be by far the best district our children have had the great opportunity to attend. Thank you SAS, Jennifer Leathers

Posted August 12, 2013
As a recent graduate, I cannot say enough about how much I loved my time here! Reading other reviews, I was so surprised - I think there will always be those who don't mesh with the teachers or administration, but overall Saline always seemed to me like one of the happiest places, and new students always seem to fit right in. The academics are exceptional, and each teacher seems to genuinely care about his or her students (the AP teachers are especially brilliant and innovative). I felt engaged and challenged academically, but the rigor always had purposeful, real-world applications. Going into college, I feel much more prepared than students from other schools. I was most involved in the music department, the sports programs (plug: do cross country!!), and various service clubs, and all of these were top-notch. Walking through the hallways each day, I really did just feel so blessed, amazed by the state-of-the-art culinary kitchen, auto garage, pool, football field, cafe, school store, library, TV studio... Saline is truly an amazing place, and I was lucky to have attended.

Posted May 14, 2013
Being a part of Saline High School not only gave me one of the best opportunities to learn and to expand my education, but it also helped me grow as an individual and use resources to make connections that I probably couldn't have been able to make if I were to live or attend school elsewhere. Not all, but some take advantage of the fact that we are blessed to have such a school which allows us to learn about further opportunities outside of high school. For example, I've been in several classes which have allowed past students, guests, educators, and even military recruiters to come in and speak with us about education and career opportunities. For my case, my special experience was meeting and discussing with a Navy recruiter what options I had towards joining one of the best military branches. As it turns out, I, an enlisted female, will be coming back with a Navy recruiter after graduation to discuss with and educate one of my past classes. I feel honored. So, thank you, Saline High School, for being the best high school in our nation. Your opportunities and education benefits are appreciated for giving me such a privilege!

Saline High School 3

Posted February 27, 2013
The high school's academics are tough- but only if you take courses designated to test yourself. If you are looking for the reputation Saline has for its academics, then you should have your child take our honors and AP classes, otherwise you will find the curriculum as a whole extremely lacking. Furthermore, if you are a new student, you will find the culture of Saline very cold and aloof. It is very hard for new students to make friends and unless you are in an after school activity then you will struggle with acclimation. However, once you have found a group of people, you can find the atmosphere very welcoming. It just take awhile to acclimate yourself to the culture. The people are somewhat rude, very unfriendly, and homogenous, but if you can get past this and stick your neck out then you will find your experience pleasant. All in all the school is what you make of it. If you dont want to challenge yourself and stick your neck out, you will find yourself lost and upset with the school. Also if you are moving in I STRONGLY recommend you to join a group and/or sport. It is really the only way to get into the somewhat privative social scene. The school isn't great, but ok.

Saline High School 1

Posted July 28, 2012
This is the perfect school for you if you are the perfect, white, sport loving, academic minded family. Teachers and admins rule the roost and parent/student voices do not hold much weight. Classrooms are very traditional with lots of sitting and listening to lectures. They do nothing in the way of team building and teaching respect for others. Saline High School makes learning a chore with lots of busy work and meaningless lesson plans and in no way do they make learning challenging and fun. I graduated from SHS as did my son and we both felt it was like a prison. My son is an excellent student and is in college now, but came to Saline after being at the wonderful Honey Creek Charter School where kids voices matter and the learning environment is challenging and fun. He left there with such high self esteem only to have it crushed by the cold atmosphere of Saline High School. Think twice about going if you want your child to be respected and have a wonderful learning experience.

Saline High School 1

Posted October 17, 2011
Saline schools are full of the "good old boys club mentality" right down to the core. Academics=busy work. Few care if your kid doesn't fit in-SHS was like a prison for our kids and lacks diversity in almost every way possible. There are good qualities in Saline but the worst quality of the school system is arrogance and an ego that eclipses the blaring need for diversity in every area a human being can be diverse. In our experience-the staff is never wrong when you make a complaint. Period. If you like a homogenous 1 size fits all conform or get out of town mentality then you will love Saline. the High School was one of the worst experiences for our kids ever. NO DIVERSITY. Too much emphasis on sports and not on being a good human being and respecting differences in others. The academics are over touted and the sports are all that matters with the pervasive "we are number 1" mentality we grew to despise. Many people forget there is a great big world out there full of DIVERSITY. A warm community welcomes you-not shouting: stay out if you don't conform. Saline has a long way to go-about 2 decades IMO. If people say, "if you don't like it leave" there's your answer.

Posted October 06, 2011
Music and cross country programs outstanding. School culture is that it is cool to be smart, and kind. Many strong academic performers and AP programs. Many students gain admission to highly selective colleges, including (the most recent class), dozens to U of M, plus MIT, Stanford, U of Chicago, Princeton. May seem cliquey to outsiders, but mainly because most kids have grown up together. Many highly scheduled kids - new kids should join a sport or band to make friends. English department has a few excellent teachers but a few downright incompetent ones. Athletics are sometimes over-emphasized. Excellent tech programs.

Posted April 28, 2010
Saline excels in academics and athletics. Three state titles have been won this year, and it seems as though every year more than one person gets a 36 on the ACT. The teachers definitely care about the students, but the administration... the administration cares a about money much more than the students. The counselors aren't truly that helpful, as there are about 450 students per counselor. The math, science and social studies programs are exceptional, as well as the marketing and tech programs, but it seems as if half the English teachers are functionally illiterate. There isn't a lot of bullying, as most people mind to themselves. There isn't a huge party scene at Saline, but pot is easy easily acquirable. AP classes prepare one especially well for the exams, and test scores are pretty high. Also, the music department is phenomenal.

Posted April 28, 2010

Saline High School
1300 Campus Parkway, Saline, MI  48176
Last modified Saline High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Saline High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top