Shelby Charter Township, MI

Posted December 05, 2014
I love the sense of community at West Utica Elementary. Every year we have a Veterans Day Celebration that inspires and shows the care and talent of our children. It's like a second family to me, and the principal truly cares about kids.

West Utica Elementary School 2

Posted October 15, 2013
my son just started preschool here and I don't really like his teacher. she seems very snotty and impatient. everytime I try to talk to her she complains about my son and is very derogatory. I just think that if she wants me to work on something constructive criticism would be a better Avenue. he's only free for crying out loud of course he's going to have some issues with sharing, and having occasional tantrum. I'm going to see if I can sit in on class and see how she actually interact with the kids but so far I'm not impressed :(

Posted October 08, 2013
im impressed with the school all the way around the staff is fantastic .. they really look out for the students and the teachers are wonderful people

West Utica Elementary School 4

Posted November 11, 2011
I posted on this site a negative post a few years back when my child first started attending this school in third grade. My child is in his fourth year at West Utica and some of my feelings have changed. I feel that theprincipal, teachers and Special Ed dept is great and cares for my child wholeheartedly. I still feel that bullying up to last year was not dealt with the best. At first I was told it was a( he said, he said) situation even though my child had a mark on his face. The child that assaulted my child was suspended only after I sent a letter to the principal. I feel she was unaware and should have been informed by her staff handling the situation. I am very involved and have built a relationship with the staff to support my child. We have a new principal this year and I am not sure how he will work out. So far so good. I feel that this school needs more help on the platground and tougher on bullying. Otherwise, I would recommend West Utica Elementary at this time.

West Utica Elementary School 3

Posted August 08, 2010
I have nothing to say but fantastic things about the teaching staff, all the teachers that my girls have been with have all been fabulous and have worked tirelessly to improve my children's education and work with them at their level, in some instances advanced and in other ways to accommodate. However I have had a lot of trouble with the Administrative staff, they are not friendly as the school motto might otherwise imply, and they are uncooperative with parents. But with lots of effort on my part the office staff has become increasingly warm, but you have to have a thick skin, and YOU have to work harder at it then they will. This is a disappointing characteristic for an Elementary School, especially since for most parents this is where you first impression is made with the School District.

Posted April 06, 2010

Posted November 03, 2009
I am impressed with the ACE awards and the assemblies that are held each month. They highlight positive values and reward students who are displaying academic excellence, high effort and good citizenship. The student-body assembles in a very orderly way and participates with enthusiasm as they cheer on one another. The effort made by the teachers and the principal to instill the lessons of positive conduct and ethical values is one that I applaud.

Posted June 13, 2009
I had the pleasure of joining the staff at West Utica this past school year, and I can honestly say that this is a great place. I think there are many OUTSTANDING teachers here, as well as the best principal I have ever seen. She is in the building every day and the students SEE her interacting with the staff, and she works with the students closely everyday, making everyone feel their worth. I think the teachers here (the majority) REALLY care for their students and work hard to help them meet and exceed their goals. I was charmed by the students and love the diversity at West Utica. I can honestly say with the considerably high turnover of students we get due to a lot of apartments nearby, there really is a 'family' atmosphere of caring, kindness, and support. That starts with the staff. Principal, teachers, kids~all one team!

Posted June 13, 2009
This school has been excellent for ALL of my kids! They have a lot of programs for the students to do after school that are both fun and academically enriching! The teachers and principal are excellent! Patient and kind, but have zero tolerance for any type of inappropriate/violent behavior, which makes the school a very safe place for our kids to be. I cannot recommend this school enough! The only way anyone would have anything unpleasant to say about the teachers or principal is if their child has behavior problems & they are in denial and want the school to ignore them (which they will NOT do)! I love West Utica!

Posted January 08, 2009
I am so disappointed in this school. Children who have special needs dont get their needs met. And the principal has no people skills.

West Utica Elementary School
5415 West Utica Road, Shelby Charter Township, MI  48317
Last modified West Utica Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Utica Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top