Shelby Charter Township, MI

Posted May 02, 2014
I agree wholeheartedly with the comment below! I could not have said it better myself. Given the times that we live in, I really appreciate Mrs Zimmerman's leadership in requiring many of the teachers to look out for the children in the morning. I often feel sorry for the teachers, because many of the parents DON'T follow directions when it comes to the parking lot. They create spaces and park where they shouldn't. It really takes the patience of Job to deal with many of these parents and then their children. I can not say enough good things about Mrs Balthazor(K) and Mrs Genna (1st) ; ) They have good communication skills and my children enjoy learning while under their care. The complaint that I do have is for the District or the State. I don't agree with the kindergarteners not being about to lay their heads down for a few minutes everyday. It's so exhausting for their little minds. Also, I think it's TOO much stimuli with all the technology. Children need to be more social and not staring at a laptop or ipad most of the day.

Posted April 30, 2014
I already wrote a good review for Monfort. I would just like to answer to a few of the bad reviews that the school has received. The school was built in the 60's, so it is an older building, but it is in good shape, and it is not dirty at all. I don't even understand why someone would even say that. Nothing like an "inner city" school. My kids teachers are awesome!! There is always a member of the staff out in the parking lot every morning guiding traffic when people drop their children off for extra safety. There is also a crossing guard on the corner of the parking lot out there every day watching over the kids. For added safety inside, the school now has it's doors locked at the main entrance, and another entrance to classrooms locked at all times. They actually have a monitored entrance now, too. The office staff is always very kind and helpful. The principal, Mrs. Zimmerman, is super nice. She is a pleasant person, and very down to earth. I am very happy with the education my children are receiving. I am involved at the school, and not one person I have spoken with has said they are unhappy. There are some false statements here. I highly recommend this school.

Posted April 30, 2014
I feel sorry for the teachers at this school. They work so hard. I volunteer at the building and can not believe that the teachers take the abuse they do from some of the parents. Every school has them, but this school has some really really crazy parents. They speak to the teachers rudely. They demand special treatment for their kids (who are especially mean to other children). It is a real pity that a few bad apples can bring such a negative tone to this building. I applaud the teachers at this building. They are caring outstanding educators. Thank you.

Posted February 04, 2014
When I moved to my neighborhood a few years ago, I wondered why many of the children here do not go to Monfort, but instead go to the other schools in the area, and now I understand why. This school is very much like an inner city high school as said in other reviews. It is very dirty, overcrowded, and does have more of the overall feel of a correctional facility rather than an elementary school. I always heard other moms complain about how rude and uncaring the principal is and I have experienced this for myself. The parking lot is very dangerous and an embarrassment. I have heard of no plans to try to improve it either. There are constantly fundraisers and other schemes to have our children raise money for more technology for the school. The technology there is adequate. There are far more important other needs for funds at this school than more computers. This school needs help. My children will not return to Monfort next year, and I have heard many other parents say the same, which is a shame because there are some really great teachers there.

Posted March 16, 2013
We moved to Shelby Township last year. My children were apprehensive about changing schools, but they have adjusted well. I am not sure what is going on with the other reviews but we have experienced none of the negative issues expressed other than the parking. Both of my children love their new teachers and every one of the teachers and staff I have met have been great. There are lots of after school activities and the school is clean and well kept.

Posted September 25, 2012
I was excited to start my children's education at Monfort after hearing wonderful stories of this school. My child is now in the 3rd grade and I am fed up with the school and staff. These women are rude, from the principle Zimmerman right down to the lunch staff, which by the way they do treat the kids like they are in prison. They cannot talk during lumch or they pulled up to the stage where everyone can stare at them. Very traumatic for a young child. Communication with teachers is terrible. I've waited several days before hearing back at times. That's if they get the email....UGH!! Mrs. Sylvester is one of the rudest teachers there. I would call her what she is but I have to watch my language on this page. They favor the wealthy kids and the smart ones too and push aside the slower kids. It is a very sad school. My advice is to stay away from this school. Stay far far away!!!

Issac Monfort Elementary School 3

Posted April 27, 2012
I have two children in the school. ALL of the 3rd and 4th grade teachers are top notch. They are the best teachers I've had the pleasure of working with. Mrs H., used to teach Kindergarten and is now in 1st grade, is excellent teacher as well.! However, many of the others clearly do not care about your children or what you think. Nothing is more frustrating when you can't get a teacher to respond to your questions or concerns. They all have e-mail addresses but my child's teacher has never once responded to the e-mail I've sent her. The new principal seems to be making some long over due changes. Your child's experience will only be as good as his/her teacher. Good Luck!

Posted April 15, 2012
The children at this school are treated like prisoners. The building is so filthy that a lot of students don't even like to use the bathrooms. Urine and feces on the floors. Gym consists of exercises on the filthy cafeteria floor that's never washed. The staff is uncaring. It speaks volumes that many Monfort teachers live within the district but send their kids to private elementary schools.

Posted January 11, 2012
My daughter went to this school for a year & 1/2. My daughter was subjected to bullying from the time she started. I was constantly in the school trying to get the problem resolved. This year, not only was it not resolved, they put her bully in the same class as her. I finally pulled her out recently because my daughter started suffering anxiety attacks from the constant bullying. The school, and particularly Mrs Zimmerman the principal, could not care less. They did absolutely nothing for me or my daughter. They put on a great anti bullying performances, but that's all they are... performances. It's a shame. I've heard from many parents whose children went to Monfort for longer than my daughter, that Monfort was one of the best schools around until the last couple of years. As one parent put it, Monfort is comparable to a Detroit inner city school. There are some great teachers at Monfort, but there's also some who really shouldn't be teaching.

Issac Monfort Elementary School 2

Posted November 16, 2010
We moved to this school district becuase of the excellent reputation. This school is a serious dissapointment. There isn't enough room to explain all the unwarranted "mishaps" that we have enured in the few months at this school. I can't wait for this year to end so I can enroll him in school of choice and get out.

Issac Monfort Elementary School
6700 Montgomery Drive, Shelby Charter Township, MI  48316
Last modified Issac Monfort Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Issac Monfort Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top