West Utica Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 578 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 15, 2013

my son just started preschool here and I don't really like his teacher. she seems very snotty and impatient. everytime I try to talk to her she complains about my son and is very derogatory. I just think that if she wants me to work on something constructive criticism would be a better Avenue. he's only free for crying out loud of course he's going to have some issues with sharing, and having occasional tantrum. I'm going to see if I can sit in on class and see how she actually interact with the kids but so far I'm not impressed :(

Posted October 8, 2013

im impressed with the school all the way around the staff is fantastic .. they really look out for the students and the teachers are wonderful people

Posted November 11, 2011

I posted on this site a negative post a few years back when my child first started attending this school in third grade. My child is in his fourth year at West Utica and some of my feelings have changed. I feel that theprincipal, teachers and Special Ed dept is great and cares for my child wholeheartedly. I still feel that bullying up to last year was not dealt with the best. At first I was told it was a( he said, he said) situation even though my child had a mark on his face. The child that assaulted my child was suspended only after I sent a letter to the principal. I feel she was unaware and should have been informed by her staff handling the situation. I am very involved and have built a relationship with the staff to support my child. We have a new principal this year and I am not sure how he will work out. So far so good. I feel that this school needs more help on the platground and tougher on bullying. Otherwise, I would recommend West Utica Elementary at this time.

Posted August 8, 2010

I have nothing to say but fantastic things about the teaching staff, all the teachers that my girls have been with have all been fabulous and have worked tirelessly to improve my children's education and work with them at their level, in some instances advanced and in other ways to accommodate. However I have had a lot of trouble with the Administrative staff, they are not friendly as the school motto might otherwise imply, and they are uncooperative with parents. But with lots of effort on my part the office staff has become increasingly warm, but you have to have a thick skin, and YOU have to work harder at it then they will. This is a disappointing characteristic for an Elementary School, especially since for most parents this is where you first impression is made with the School District.

Posted November 3, 2009

I am impressed with the ACE awards and the assemblies that are held each month. They highlight positive values and reward students who are displaying academic excellence, high effort and good citizenship. The student-body assembles in a very orderly way and participates with enthusiasm as they cheer on one another. The effort made by the teachers and the principal to instill the lessons of positive conduct and ethical values is one that I applaud.

Posted June 13, 2009

I had the pleasure of joining the staff at West Utica this past school year, and I can honestly say that this is a great place. I think there are many OUTSTANDING teachers here, as well as the best principal I have ever seen. She is in the building every day and the students SEE her interacting with the staff, and she works with the students closely everyday, making everyone feel their worth. I think the teachers here (the majority) REALLY care for their students and work hard to help them meet and exceed their goals. I was charmed by the students and love the diversity at West Utica. I can honestly say with the considerably high turnover of students we get due to a lot of apartments nearby, there really is a 'family' atmosphere of caring, kindness, and support. That starts with the staff. Principal, teachers, kids~all one team!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 13, 2009

This school has been excellent for ALL of my kids! They have a lot of programs for the students to do after school that are both fun and academically enriching! The teachers and principal are excellent! Patient and kind, but have zero tolerance for any type of inappropriate/violent behavior, which makes the school a very safe place for our kids to be. I cannot recommend this school enough! The only way anyone would have anything unpleasant to say about the teachers or principal is if their child has behavior problems & they are in denial and want the school to ignore them (which they will NOT do)! I love West Utica!

Posted January 8, 2009

I am so disappointed in this school. Children who have special needs dont get their needs met. And the principal has no people skills.

Posted September 9, 2008

My experience with West Utica has been good and bad, so far I have had no problems with the teachers, Mrs, Brasza is fabulous she mas my daughters kindergarten teacher and she was amazing, now as far as the principal goes, she is terrible, she has no concept of how to run a run in a respectfull manner, she is very rude not only to parents and the children she is also very rude to her staff, maybe that's were the office staff have got it from, If we had a new principal this school would be great, there are always events for the children to attend and after school programs.

Posted August 24, 2008

In rating this school and comment to other parents. First off I never saw a school nor school district to be so closed off to the purpose that focus on the best interest of each student; saftey of our children; and the way they are taught in an establishment such run by the state and funded by parents, taxpayers alike. In reading the responses to each posting I have to agree that there must be some truth to these complaints since I did work at the school of complaint. Parents that drop their children off to school do not realize the struggles each student is face with when they are left there to be taught. The problems you see occur while the student is attending classes, lunch and released for the day and the student returns back to his/ or her parent's care some experience such exhibits of stress; acting...

Posted August 21, 2008

Please don't be foooled. This school is poorly run and has serious saftey issues. Those who speak of other children's behavior show their ignorance. My daughter encountered situations that should have never had to be addressed in elementary school. The way they were handled was disappointing to say the least. The principal is so self absorbed with her title, she has lost sight that it's about the children not her.

Posted May 1, 2008

I attended West Utica years ago (1st - 6th grade), I am now proud to say that my daughter attends West Utica! The motto: 'The Friendly School' has not changed & it fits this school to a 'T'! I have always loved the teachers/ @ West Utica, they have ALWAYS had the childrens best interest at heart & that is the truth! I have lived in Shelby Twsp since 1974 & my daughter has went to Ewell Elementary (2yrs)also! The best years she have been with West Utica! Yahoo 4 U! The teachers/staff really take each and every child by the hand, they are patient and they understand what it means that every household & every child is different! There are teachers still there from when I attended school there & that says a lot to me! A very EXCELLENT school!

Posted April 23, 2008

My daughter stated going to this school this year. Within the first week she was suspended. I was extreamly angry over the fact that she was suspended for something I thought was childs play. I then began to realize that just maybe there was some reasoning behind the harsh actions that were being taken against my daughter. My husband and I are very involved with the teacher, principal and the councelor and they only want the same thing that we want for our children (a safe environment). We decided together that my husband and I would take our daughter to see a councelor and we found out some shocking information from these secions. The school is great and they only do what is best for the students.

Posted April 9, 2008

I attended this school when I was in grade school, so when I had children I wanted them to go there too. I find the principal very rude and one particular office person even more rude. My oldest has been in this school for 3 years now and I have been very involved, yet when I walk through the doors, I am always greeted by the principal as if she has never seen me before. Recently my daughter (2nd grade) was suspended because her and some other children were playing karate moves out on the playground, a little boy walked up while she was in mid swing of one of her moves and he was hit. The school suspended her for causing harm to another child when all parties (including teachers that witnessed it) verified it was an accident. I am looking for a new school next year because of the impersonal feeling I get from this school.

Posted February 15, 2008

If you are a good parent that is concerned with your child's education and safety then west utica is the place for you. The previous posts about the principal are obviously made from people whose children are out of control behavior problems. She throws these types of kids out making it safe for my son to attend school and learn. If you want teachers who 'let things go' and a principal who is 'understanding' with violent children who disrupt my child's classroom then west utica is not for you. If you want your child to learn and be accountable (and therefore safe) for behavior then West Utica is the place to be!

Posted December 30, 2007

Horrible Principal and too fast paced. Not much concern about children that can't keep up.

Posted December 24, 2007

This school is amazing.The one enormous flaw is that the principal is unprofessional and rude to my 2 children.I think this school would probably be better off without her.She is the only reason i have moved to another school in Kalamazoo

Posted August 24, 2007

West Utica Elementary had been a great school until the previous principal had left, leaving the school up to a woman who does not care about the children or her staff. I have seen her being more than rude to adults around her including staff members. She does not meet with parents when asked and does not seem to really care about her job. I would recommend this school when she is no longer principal.

Posted May 19, 2007

well west utica is a great place for kids to learn and have fun.the teachers have been great and the staff is outstanding! i want every parent to know that we just recently hade a walkathon and the school hired a dj to keep the kids entertained.So go West Utica!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 9, 2007

My daughters teachers from K through 2nd grade have been a pleasure.However,the principals capability to be professional and respectful to parents is greatly disappointing.The superintendents office has been the same.It's hard to work as a team to ensure our children's saftey.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

79 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 16% 18%

• (586) 797-6601

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5415 West Utica Rd