Issac Monfort Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 681 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 4, 2014

When I moved to my neighborhood a few years ago, I wondered why many of the children here do not go to Monfort, but instead go to the other schools in the area, and now I understand why. This school is very much like an inner city high school as said in other reviews. It is very dirty, overcrowded, and does have more of the overall feel of a correctional facility rather than an elementary school. I always heard other moms complain about how rude and uncaring the principal is and I have experienced this for myself. The parking lot is very dangerous and an embarrassment. I have heard of no plans to try to improve it either. There are constantly fundraisers and other schemes to have our children raise money for more technology for the school. The technology there is adequate. There are far more important other needs for funds at this school than more computers. This school needs help. My children will not return to Monfort next year, and I have heard many other parents say the same, which is a shame because there are some really great teachers there.

Posted March 16, 2013

We moved to Shelby Township last year. My children were apprehensive about changing schools, but they have adjusted well. I am not sure what is going on with the other reviews but we have experienced none of the negative issues expressed other than the parking. Both of my children love their new teachers and every one of the teachers and staff I have met have been great. There are lots of after school activities and the school is clean and well kept.

Posted March 6, 2013

My children have only been attending Monfort for six months now. So far, I am very happy with the education they are receiving. My daughter is in second grade, and my son is in Kindergarten. Both of them have outstanding teachers that truely care. My kids absolutely love their them. They are thriving. The principal is very kind. The reason I have rated the school only four stars instead of five is because of the horrible parking situation. It is an absolute nightmare. The parking lot is way too small for the amount of cars that come through on a daily basis. We have to wait through a traffic jam on the side street the school is on for nearly 10 minutes every day just to park our car to walk the kids in to school. If I don't get there really early to pick them up, the parking lot is often full. I have to park down the street, sometimes a couple blocks down. This is a HUGE inconvenience. If your child will be taking the bus, obviously this will not apply to you. However, if you plan on driving your child(ren) to school and back, be prepared to be aggrivated. That is my only complaint. If the parking situation improves, I will come back and add that last star. :o)

Posted September 25, 2012

I was excited to start my children's education at Monfort after hearing wonderful stories of this school. My child is now in the 3rd grade and I am fed up with the school and staff. These women are rude, from the principle Zimmerman right down to the lunch staff, which by the way they do treat the kids like they are in prison. They cannot talk during lumch or they pulled up to the stage where everyone can stare at them. Very traumatic for a young child. Communication with teachers is terrible. I've waited several days before hearing back at times. That's if they get the email....UGH!! Mrs. Sylvester is one of the rudest teachers there. I would call her what she is but I have to watch my language on this page. They favor the wealthy kids and the smart ones too and push aside the slower kids. It is a very sad school. My advice is to stay away from this school. Stay far far away!!!

Posted September 18, 2012

First I would like to say that because of the previous reviews I was very apprehensive about sending my child to this (home) school. I even but in a transfer request that wasn't accepted until the second day of school. My experience thus far (very early in the school year) is very postive. I have had GOOD contact with almost all of the teachers my child comes in contact with via email. The teachers are all smiles in the morning as I drop my child off. Many of the teachers HAVE kids that go to the school. I have witnessed them visiting their child in line-up in the morning and in classrooms. The have impressive technology in almost all class rooms. Also,One of my main concerns was safety/security and I must say that I'm impressed thus far. My comment may be a little premature yet, but I was compelled to review this school now because the previous comments had me expecting the worse school in Macomb and that's certainly not the case.

Posted April 27, 2012

I have two children in the school. ALL of the 3rd and 4th grade teachers are top notch. They are the best teachers I've had the pleasure of working with. Mrs H., used to teach Kindergarten and is now in 1st grade, is excellent teacher as well.! However, many of the others clearly do not care about your children or what you think. Nothing is more frustrating when you can't get a teacher to respond to your questions or concerns. They all have e-mail addresses but my child's teacher has never once responded to the e-mail I've sent her. The new principal seems to be making some long over due changes. Your child's experience will only be as good as his/her teacher. Good Luck!

Posted April 15, 2012

The children at this school are treated like prisoners. The building is so filthy that a lot of students don't even like to use the bathrooms. Urine and feces on the floors. Gym consists of exercises on the filthy cafeteria floor that's never washed. The staff is uncaring. It speaks volumes that many Monfort teachers live within the district but send their kids to private elementary schools.

Posted January 11, 2012

My daughter went to this school for a year & 1/2. My daughter was subjected to bullying from the time she started. I was constantly in the school trying to get the problem resolved. This year, not only was it not resolved, they put her bully in the same class as her. I finally pulled her out recently because my daughter started suffering anxiety attacks from the constant bullying. The school, and particularly Mrs Zimmerman the principal, could not care less. They did absolutely nothing for me or my daughter. They put on a great anti bullying performances, but that's all they are... performances. It's a shame. I've heard from many parents whose children went to Monfort for longer than my daughter, that Monfort was one of the best schools around until the last couple of years. As one parent put it, Monfort is comparable to a Detroit inner city school. There are some great teachers at Monfort, but there's also some who really shouldn't be teaching.

Posted November 16, 2010

We moved to this school district becuase of the excellent reputation. This school is a serious dissapointment. There isn't enough room to explain all the unwarranted "mishaps" that we have enured in the few months at this school. I can't wait for this year to end so I can enroll him in school of choice and get out.

Posted April 23, 2010

My son attends kindergarten at Monfort. I drive him 20 minutes north just so he can attend, and I am happy with the school...and with Ms. Hawke, in particular. She is so lovely, and has made a fan out of my shy little boy. I'm also very impressed with the office staff; they're always friendly. Thanks, Monfort, for giving my son a wonderful start to school!!

Posted October 29, 2008

My two sons and my nephew went to Monfort. Most of the teachers truly care about the education and well being of the students. The boys had several teachers that they still talk about and go to visit. The administrative office staff went above and beyond whenever my the kids were sick or had forgotten lunch, missed the bus etc. We moved out of the Monfort district in sixth grade and it was a very disappointing experience for my son. The teacher was nothing like we had experienced at Monfort and still to this day I regret that we made the move before he finished at Monfort.

Posted August 4, 2007

The one reason we moved to this area was because of the school system. I am very disappointed, it was suppose to be a blue ribbon school. Unfortunately it has not hit blue ribbon status since the first time. I will say that some of the teachers are excellent but there are also some that should not be there. The principal listens to everything you have to say, tells you what you want to hear and then does nothing with any of it. Parents in this school are very involved in my experience. I believe it is because they have to be. This will be my oldest daughters 5th year at this school and for some reason every year it gets worse. We have had to put so much time into keeping our children up to speed at home it is ridiculous. My class C school tops this class A school

Posted October 27, 2003

This is an excellent school. It is such a warm and loving place to grow and learn. I went there and would recommend it to anyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

99 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

103 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

109 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

113 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 2% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Ms. Karen Zimmerman
Fax number
  • (586) 797-5701

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education