Bad
Good

My child attended this school for 2 years, and I must say it is not exemplary at all. Although the staff is personable they are totally inadequate at controlling their students. The students are ridiculous, unruly, bullies and more interested in social interaction than education. My child is not the most diligent in her studies but somehow she managed to pass with decent grades. Unfortunately, now she is totally unprepared to deal with high school, and most of this was not even communicated to me as a parent until it was to late. I am totally disappointed in this school experience, and would not recommend it to ANYONE.

I attended this school for four years, and was bullied. I joined pompom & the bullying stopped. I was never taught pre algebra & I struggled in high school because of that. I also had terrible writing skills, as a 7th grader. The teachers taught the same material each year. 7th & 8th grade students are still doing science fair projects. Such projects are for those in 5th grade & under. English class was nothing but a class spent writing book reports. I never learned how to compose a paragraph, or an essay! Simply put, this school did not prepare me for high school. The school lunches are also unhealthy. They sell bags of Flaming Hot Cheetos by the pounds!

I attended Academy of Southfield for 5 years and needless to say it was and still is the worst experience of my life. The teachers have no controil over the students and the students are nothing but a bunch of bullies. If you or your child isn't "cool" expect them to be constantly harassed.

I can only say that I am truly disappointed in this school. I have two children attending this school, and for them to have a NO BULLY policy is a total joke. My son who is in the 3rd grade has been kicked by his classmates and the even choked by another student not to have anything done. A school is suppose to be a place of learning and a safe zone this is not the case at this school..a school is suppose to encourage students in their dreams and help them to become the best they can be, not tear down their dreams of being involved in school activities. This was the case with my first grader who was very enthusiastic about being apart of this school. Both of their teachers are wonderful but they would be better off working at another school with better ideals for handling problem students instead of good students being victims of a poor environment.. I am currently looking for another school for my children as I speak . I thought I pick a good one and was wrong mental abuse and children picking on children can be be just as bad as physical abuse...but you get both here (Different Strokes for different folks)...And Faculty comments don't count...lol @comment posted September 22,2011

I am a father of 5 and proud to say my children have all attended/attend the Academy of Southfield. Originally when we moved to MI from DC, our intention was to try the school for 2 yrs. When we met Mrs. Mosley and faculty, we decided this was the perfect fit for our children. Granted Mrs. Mosley is a disciplinarian, I appreciate her efforts because she compliments our home style. You see, I am a father; and, jealous of my role. The AOS is supposed to help me educate my children, not raise them. The relationship between home and school should be symbiotic, not unilateral. As an example, my children lived in Central America for 1 year. Utilizing the foundation set by AOS, they excelled in a foreign country where classes were taught in Spanish. I commend the faculty of AOS for instilling in our children the proper discipline to not only pass; but, succeed. (Regardless of circumstance or condition). I totally recommend this school as a perfect compliment to a household towards their children's education.

My child attends this school . And i am very unsatisfied . Its only been two weeks and my child is getting constanly picked on . And the teachers DOES NOT watch the students WHAT SO EVER , and they dont call the parents when something happeneds to a child/when a child is getting picked on by another student . I will be taking my child out of this school ASAP .

My grandchildren attend this school, it is the worse I've seen in years. The place is like a zoo. I am going to make sure this is their last year in that place.

The teachers are wonderful here, but the Principal makes or breaks a school. Other administrators are great here, and willing to work with parents, but when you don't see the Principal around, that's a major problem. The school secretary needs people skills, or better yet, have some of the eigth grade students answer the phones sometime!

I transferred my children to this school from another Academy in Detroit and I'm glad that I did! This school has so much to offer my children. Southfield Academy has expanded their horizons and they are doing marvelously well. My son even had an opportunity to go to Georgia to Camp Exposure...and he loved it! The administration is fabulous and diverse. The teachers are diverse! The only thing that's missing is a parent group or newsletter to discuss concerns. I am happy with the change in environment for them and feel that they are learning a great deal more than where they were.

That school is great it made get enrolled in dapcep they encourage students to do as good as they can so who ever thinks its bad your wrong!

Last modified Academy Of Southfield is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.