Brace-Lederle K-8 School

Public | K-8 & ungraded | 744 students

Posted September 23, 2013

I love this school. Ive went to this school for about 2 years. I went here in kindegarten and half of 1st grade. The school uniforms were awesome for me. I might even be going back to this school for the rest of my 7th and 8th grade years.... My sister thinks that she wont like it, i say itll be cool...... P.S. This is like the best school you could ever go to.. I PROMISE!!!!! Your Reviewer, J'Niya Liburd

Posted November 8, 2012

this school is horrible.. my son is not learning anythine he is in the 8th grade Ms.Lewis is horrible she do not need to work there... the staff is horrible Ms.Elliott is horrible all the 8th grade teachers are his report card is horrible but when he come home everything he does is coorect the teachers there do not know how to grade and yall need to do something about that before i do. i will be coming up to that school...to talk to them teachers because they are doing a horrblie job...and i will not let none of my kids attend there and i will tell all my friends and family that this school is horrible thank you if you read this.!

Posted April 10, 2012

This school is horrrible i hate when my child went the pricinle is not helpful aand only cares for her teachers and middle school is horrible they baare smoking weed and vandlism

Posted February 4, 2012

I have two daughter's at Brace 1st an 2nd graders. This is their first yr attending and it has been great. As far as their teachers Ms molner an Ms boatman are concerned.they offer tutoring an my girls love the after school dance classes. They are eager to go to school each day.eager to get homework done.any concerns I have had their teachers have giving me the upmost attention an solution on what we can do together to help them excel in their studies. And am proud to say I have 2 distinguished honor students at Brace-lederle!

Posted June 22, 2011

My children both attend BL I took my daughter out for one semester and that was the worst thing I could have done. I have read the reviews of the other parents about BL and I can see their point of view, but I had some of the same issues with my son in the past but I am a letter writer. Whenever I had an issue i went sent emails to the principal and had meetings and came to great solutions, even two years back ! i think as parents we tend to get upset which is our GOD given right regarding our children. But put your self in the shoes of the teachers/staff members, they have to deal with numerous personal issues concerning the students, abuse, add, other mental illness of parents as well. So try and turn the negative feelings into a positive solution with the teacher that will benefit your child(ren). I have built so many relationships with so many teachers and other staff members which give me that family atmosphere. By the way my daughter went from straight "F's" to a 3.2, Brace is a great school over all, yeah they have flaws,but you have to work them out.

Posted June 22, 2011

This school is okay, there are some really good teachers in the 3rd and 4th grade. However, overall the school is lacking in the grades K-2 and 6-8th. My child attended for a while, but we removed him due to a lack of challenge academically. There also was some inappropriate incidents involving other students that was poorly handled by the supervisory staff that ultimately turned us off from returning to the school.

Posted June 21, 2011

My children have been a part of Brace-Lederle for 6 years. Within these 6 years they now have their 4th principal. The bully situation has gone out of control. The principal, Ms. Lewis, lacks urgency when you complain about the teachers or any situations that occur within the school. They are suppose to have a "no bullying policy" but they don't take it seriously when students are bullied by the older children. I have talked to SEVERAL parents who are pulling their children out of the school this year. THANK GOD my children were accepted at another school. I am an educator myself and believe in the public system but Brace-Lederle has really disappointed me and continues to get worse.

Posted November 4, 2010

If you are a substitute teacher I would advise you against subbing for this school, especially for the kindergarten teachers. I usually enjoy the younger kids, but the kids in the kindergarten classes at Brace-Lederle are disrespectful and they do not listen to anything that you say. I felt like I was in the room with a bunch of mental patients. Kids were crawling around the room,screaming and falling out of their chairs on purpose. One parent showed me a bump that her bad son got, and expected me to show simpathy. I don't think so. That little boy was all over the place, he was hitting kids, falling out of chair and he did not falling any directions that I gave him. My experience at this school is a good arguement of why we should make corporal punishment legal in michigan.

Posted December 3, 2009

I would like to commend the 1st and 4th grade team of Brace Lederle. I especially like that the 4th graders change classes ( receiving their core subjects from different teachers instead of receiving increments of their core subjects from one teacher). Also, I like how the 1st grade team initiated parents involvement by hosting regular 'parent teas' that allowed the parents, and 1st grade teachers to discuss the different events that are/were taking place in the children classroom. The BIG problem with Brace is the leadership. It is ineffective and their is no cohesiveness between the principal and the assistant principal. This lack of leadership is seen in a lot of the students (esp. the middle school students). Effective leadership is one of the things that is badly needed at Brace.

Posted August 28, 2009

I have 2 kids that attend Brace Lederle. My son started there first, (they are a year apart). When he started there, the Principal and teachers were beautiful. There truly was concern and genuine care for the kids. Punishment was explained to kids, not yelled throughout the hallways and in the office, as it was the 2008 -2009 school year. My second child started attending and that is when all the mess started. Some teachers act like they are scared of the kids, Principal loves to call you when she has an issue with your child, but when you leave messages with the Secretaries to have her to call you back with issues you may have, there is no response or care. Let's be fair and make the school a place for the kids to want to go to school and the teachers want the kids to come. No boot camp!

Posted March 27, 2009

The school has went down in the past several years. Not all, but most of the staff are condescending, rude and not professional when addressing parents and students. The principal this year pretends to listen to your concerns and is very shallow. The assistant principal, on on the other hand, seems genuine. The students are unruly and out of control. The atmosphere has changed over time and is not that where you want your child to be subjected to a negative learning environment.

Posted December 20, 2008

this is the best school ever!.I used to go here and i loved it!.I can't believe that anyone would rate this under a three.

Posted February 23, 2008

I belive that brace is excellant.It teaches great leadership and is full of great people.If you ask me i would perfer brace over any school.We have great fun activites,like fashion shows,carnevel,and talent shows.Fun fieldtrips like roller skating,going to the show,and even for the eithgraders ceder point.Brace is the place the family place!

Posted February 14, 2008

im a sixth grader at this school and i love it the teachers really help me and they take time to help me learn for tests and stuff.i learn all kinds of languages and education there and our principal is great she's really nice.well thanks for reading

Posted August 1, 2007

I have two children that attend Brace-Lederle, now going on 3 years. I can say that this school has challenged them mentally and physically. The IS program that they have is wonderful. My children will be entering 5th grade and 8th grade this year and they can't wait until school starts. The summer reading and math along with study island keep their minds busy during the summer, and helps to better prepare them for the upcoming school year. So I give Brace-Lederle 5 stars keep up the good work.

Posted April 12, 2007

My daughter attends this school and has for yrs. Now my daughter is in the third grade and I must say educational wise they are superb. BUT as far as activities, they are few and far in between and they cater to the older students. My daughter has talent in a lot of areas and even the teachers say to find a school that will nourish that. Like I said educational they are great but on a social level they are horrible, just horrible. Improvement must be made or my daughter will be leaving. I have kept her this long ONLY because of the education and even that is wavering.The new principal is not doing anything new!

Posted December 7, 2005

I am a new parent at Brace having transferred my 5th grade daughter based on their 'Blue Ribbon' status and previous MEAP scores. Unfortunately, status and good test scores do not reflect the administration at Brace. The principal is not open to suggestions for improvement and the PTA follows his lead. In his attempts to appear current with the times, the principal's style of communication lacks professionalism. The administration assigned to Brace is a reflection of what the SPS school board and superintendant think of the make-up of the student body and their families. If there are no improvments with the administration and PTA at Brace, I will take my daughter out next year.

Posted November 13, 2005

Brace is now using gender-based classrooms for 7th and 8th graders. I have a 19 year old that attended Brace, now I have a 7th grader. I was skeptical of the current administration, however they have shown innovation in their decision to implement gender based classes. Their standardized test scores are still good.

Posted January 10, 2005

I have a 2nd grader at Brace and i am concerned about the academic material being taught and the leadership staff. The material is not challenging enough. The class is given material that was taught in kindergarten and 1st grade (coloring,identify ABC's). The leadership staff is not diverse enough in their experience, and the atmoshphere is too busy. Brace will not maintain its 'exmplary' status if their leadership staff continues to have an closed-minded attitude.

Posted October 18, 2004

I find that the staf of this school is more concerned with their personal image than the proper discimination of the learning materials. I have a 1st and 2nd grader that I am very concerned about their acedemic development in the current environment at Brace, which extends to a greater concern for the entire school district.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

74 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 99% 18%

• Ms. Sharon Lewis
Fax number
  • (248) 746-8854

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now