Southfield, MI
Students enrolled: 1,039

Southfield High School 5

Posted October 20, 2014
This is a great school with a lot of different experiences. This school has dedicated educators and administrators. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Posted September 27, 2013
I subbed in this school one time and it will be the last. A good 50% of the students know how to behave to get the most out their education. Unfortunately for them, the other 50% behave like spoiled, overindulged clowns who prefer to play games with adults rather than take their education seriously. These are the people who will blame others for their misfortunes resulting from their poor choices. Teachers I came in contact with were dedicated, caring talented and overwhelmed. They were very professional in their treatment of students and seemed genuinely concerned about each individual. Teaching strategies I saw looked challenging and engaging. Secretaries were rude and treat guests like they are less important than their personal conversations. There was no standardized sub folder with helpful items such as bell schedule, map, etc. I was handed attendance sheets then snubbed. This lack of systemic professionalism screams lack of leadership. One cool thing the school has are segways for security personnel which they probably need given the size of the school and the afore mentioned student behavior. Imagine the student resources they could buy with that money! Parent involvment!

Southfield High School 3

Posted January 17, 2013
The student body is weak, we need to step up, and I feel that it takes a persons own self motivation and that's what I feel shs is trying to do, and any kid can do it but some may need a push from teachers, staff, and you parents. I am not a perfect student, but I am bright, smart, and have leadership qualities, I know whats possible, and I plan on getting higher scores, I don't care what it takes, I plan on representing southfield public schools, and I plan on being a leader, and I plan on taking this a step further, and attempting to make a change, for not just myself but for my peers, because I care ,do you? Don't waste your time being mad at the system, change it, don't waste your time, when you go pick up you kids, go to the administrative office right behind the school, and request to talk to the lady in charge of sps, when she won't come out...don't make a scene....make a stand!!!Gather up other mothers, teachers, principles and change it up make it a big deal try!!!! Please our futures depend on it!

Southfield High School 2

Posted December 21, 2012
I concur with an earlier review about the Principal...& actually the administration as a whole...their biggest concerns are dress code & hall sweeps...if 1/4 as much effort was put into enhancing & developing the curriculum to be in line with West Bloom, Farmington, Bloomfield & other surrounding districts, this school would be 5 stars. Its absolutely ridiculous. Its all about policy-not really reviewing polcies & procedures to determine whats really best for the students & challenge to change it. THAT would be too much work & too much like right. The vice Principal, God bless her.. is snappy, mean & standoffish..I look very young, so assuming I was a student she saw me the hall & proceded to talk to me like she would normally speak to students..I quickly checked her & let her know that she was speaking to a PhD candidate not some hoodlum on the street. I also implored her to not ever address another parent or a student like that again. Lastly, there are MANY students here that live in Detroit. THAT is a problem that needs immediate correction. My tax dollars being stretched to cover them is not fair to my children. Take a loan, send your child to private school, trust me.

Posted April 11, 2011
I'm going to start off by saying that some of the teachers are great and are not at fault for the poor quality of this school, however there are many problems with it. The current principal is so concerned with dress code that it seems he doesn't even care about academics. The school also has a shortage on some books and is slowly losing a lot of its extra curricular activities. If you have the choice between this school and any other school in Southfield then the decision should definitely not be this one. Take your child to a school where they care more about academic achievement and less about untucked shirts.

Southfield High School

Posted October 25, 2007
Teachers seem overwhelmed and getting any information out of them is like pulling teeth. Wonderful facility though.

Southfield High School 3

Posted May 10, 2005
The quality of academics is competitive. My daughter is a freshman and is in Scholars Plus. She on the Tennis team and Ochestra. She has all honors classes and participates in many extracurricular school sponsored activities. The programs are avaialable, sports, music,arts, etc. The parents must get more involved so they're aware of the opportunities that exist. When parents know what's happening they are able to encourage their children to get involved. The school is undergoing major remodeling which is great, it could use it. It makes it a better place to learn and fresh paint always brighten things up.

Southfield High School 2

Posted April 21, 2005
Yes people do attend that dont live in oakland county, but no one complains when count day comes around. Teacher quality is good. They do care but some dont just like in every other school. There are many problems with the school. Too many rules, its old, smells, bathrooms are not sanitary, no soap to wash hands, and poor ventilation. Out of ten i give the school a 4.75

Posted November 15, 2004
I currently attend SHS (Sophomore). It isn't as good as Holly, but has a lot of good extra-curricular activities such as robotics and SHS is sponsored by NASA. Nice, could be better, currently being remodeled.

Southfield High School 5

Posted September 20, 2004
No, this school is not as good as most schools in Oakland County, however, it succeeds in effort. Effort to become better. I am a graduate of Southfield High School and I have an eleventh grader who attends there as well who does cheerleading and track. She has a 3.8 GPA and is very fond of the school. When I was contemplating moving, she argued immensly. I just want to tell DR. Jones that he is doing a marvelous job with this school and to keep up the good work.

Southfield High School
24675 Lahser Road, Southfield, MI  48033
Last modified Southfield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southfield High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top