731 students|Laurus Academy

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Mrs. White is the BEST teacher for kindegarten!

My special needs son is in kindergarten at Laurus and I absolutely LOVE it! He is excited to go to school and has extra help in place within the school. Lunches are so-so, so I usually make his lunch 2-3 times a week. The amount of homework for a special needs student as well as myself each week is a bit much for this grade but you know what, he is doing 100% better than he was when he started. And did I mention that he is HAPPY!!! Happy and much smarter, works for me!

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

It's totally rediculus how much homework they give the kids.

Every since Dr. Calderon has retired, Laurus Academy has gone completely down!!! It's a shame how unprofessional the principal, dean and some of the teachers are. Several families are very dissapointed with Laurus. This is really disheartening because our families have supported Laurus for over 6 years. Now we have to find another school for our children. The culture of Laurus isn't loving, caring or kind as it once was.

The parking lot is even more RIDICULOUS now that they've "improved" it. Whomever came up with the idea of making the lot look and feel like a race track for go carts needs to be FIRED! I refuse to utilize the parking lot; that's how stupid it is... The administration has changed some for the 2016 school year and unfortunately, I can't say that it's for the good. Some of the folks in the main office have attitudes, the new principal appears to be unfriendly/attitudinal , the 5th grade dean definitely has an attitude problem and the teachers/other staff are ALWAYS yelling at the children. The only reason why my child is still attending this school is because I definitely see academic growth. Like one of the other writers stated - no school will be perfect so you take the good with the bad. My child has 2 more years to go and I hope we can make it.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some of the teachers are effective and the others are too busy yelling at the children.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The younger grades get an abundance of homework daily. The bigger kids not as much and to be honest, I don't think the teachers check the homework. They simply put a check mark on it showing that it has been done.

My children have attended Laurus since kindergarten. After much analysis and review of available schools, we selected Laurus and have been very pleased. I have found the administration to be very supportive and positive. The school work is very challenging - and there is support in place for children who need extra help. No school is perfect, but I find that parents who invest time in getting to know teachers and working with the adminstration have the best growth. It's very important that children, not only learn, but are supported and protected. I feel that Laurus environment is positive and the moral focus component is critical. I am pleased that we chose this school for our children and look forward to seeing them graduate.

This by far has been the worse elementary school our daughter has attended. Her second grade teacher has been so preoccupied with a sick parent she is rarely in the class, or responds to emails. When this was brought to the principals attention this was passed to the assistant principals whom NEVER returned my phone call for follow-up. And lastly, on January 9 th 2014 I went to pick my daughter up. Upon arrival she was not in her normal dismissal area nor was she in her classroom. All three teachers advised me "she just left". She is an eight year old special needs, how do you allow her to just leave? Where did she go? No one could answer this. After 15 minutes of frantically searching the school I finally located my daughter outside with another teacher preparing to put her on a bus she should not have been on. This was totally unacceptable. I will never recommend this school to another parent nor will my children attend subsequent school years.

I'm in fifth grade and I've been here since kindergarten.Some of the teachers that I've been with were good , but others weren't. Laurus academy is a great place if you want your child to excel in all of the subjects.Some of the work is not super challenging if your child is advanced.The lunches they serve are horrible. I wouldn't recommend this school for you.

Last modified Laurus Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.