Posted January 29, 2014
My children have attended Laurus since kindergarten. After much analysis and review of available schools, we selected Laurus and have been very pleased. I have found the administration to be very supportive and positive. The school work is very challenging - and there is support in place for children who need extra help. No school is perfect, but I find that parents who invest time in getting to know teachers and working with the adminstration have the best growth. It's very important that children, not only learn, but are supported and protected. I feel that Laurus environment is positive and the moral focus component is critical. I am pleased that we chose this school for our children and look forward to seeing them graduate.

Posted January 09, 2014
This by far has been the worse elementary school our daughter has attended. Her second grade teacher has been so preoccupied with a sick parent she is rarely in the class, or responds to emails. When this was brought to the principals attention this was passed to the assistant principals whom NEVER returned my phone call for follow-up. And lastly, on January 9 th 2014 I went to pick my daughter up. Upon arrival she was not in her normal dismissal area nor was she in her classroom. All three teachers advised me "she just left". She is an eight year old special needs, how do you allow her to just leave? Where did she go? No one could answer this. After 15 minutes of frantically searching the school I finally located my daughter outside with another teacher preparing to put her on a bus she should not have been on. This was totally unacceptable. I will never recommend this school to another parent nor will my children attend subsequent school years.

Posted January 08, 2014
I'm in fifth grade and I've been here since kindergarten.Some of the teachers that I've been with were good , but others weren't. Laurus academy is a great place if you want your child to excel in all of the subjects.Some of the work is not super challenging if your child is advanced.The lunches they serve are horrible. I wouldn't recommend this school for you.

Posted June 02, 2013
It's a lot students who have no self control, disrespectful to other classmates , parents and there teachers, no actions taken. Student say and do what they want to in class. Student take other classmates papers and turn it in as there own homework.Its a lot of concerns at this school . And nothing being done about it. My child will not be returning to this school in the fall.

Posted May 18, 2013
I attended this school from K-12 and left this school.Then I came back in 4th grade and been here every since.it is way different, we have a new music teacher, Ms.Lyttle, she is a horrible teacher.The new gym teacher, Ms.Nazoyn, I don't like her either.The lunches are inedible.In these past two weeks, 3 students have threw up.Many students and parents have complained about it and the school has not done anyting about it.This school is so not reccomended...

Posted March 23, 2013
My kids have been at this school since the 2nd grade they are now in the 6 and 7th respectively, I have seen this school slowly go down, in the past I have recommended this school to other's but I cannot do this today, the quality of student being let into the school have changed significantly, the kids appear to be alot rougher around the edges, along with their parents, I have noticed the 2012 Meap scores dropped unbelievably low, but I can see why with the type of students they are letting in, I believe they are more about numbers (money) now, I am aggressively looking to take my kids to new schools, unfortunately, I can no longer recommend this school for any parent that is serious about there kids education, with that being said, the teachers and administration is wonderful, but I want my child around kids whom come from families that respect education and it's importance, not kids with behavior problems and parents with behavior problems, most of the serious parents are pulling there kids out or are currently looking for new schools, it is very sad to see a great school nose dive into a school that is mediocre at best now

Posted December 13, 2012
the school has stepped it up thank you laurus the music dept is excellent the deans are excellent

Laurus Academy 3

Posted January 30, 2012
I m not quite sure about this school. My daughter needs a challenge and I pulled her out of Southfield Public Schools in the fall of 2011 to attend Laurus Academy. Currently, she is in the most advanced class, but is bored. She has homework, but it only takes her a short time to complete. I did contact the dean and talked to her teachers, who agreed to give her more challenging work. She is still bored. Moreover, the math book that the other 7th graders (not the advanced class) are using is the same book that my daughter had last year (in 6th grade). I was assured that she was not being taught out of that book and that she is using a 7/8th grade book this year. That was a major concern at the beginning of the school year. I do, however, like the atmosphere. The teachers and administrative staff are all pleasant and know my child by name (she is not a number). And they all seem to care about my daughter s success (in and out of the classroom). My only problem is the curriculum. I think it could be beefed up a bit to compete with the SPS students. Teacher, principal & parent = 5 stars, Curriculum = 3 stars.

Posted January 19, 2011
My 9th grader attended this school from 5-8th grade and I am more than pleased with this school...so much so, that I had to purchase at least two bookbags for her during the school year considering this school nurtures reading...unlike the current school she attends! My son started kindergarten at Laurus Academy and he has homework assignments and reading assignments weekly...admittedly...I have a hard time keeping up! Anyway, I have never had any issues with the teachers or the office staff, everyone seem friendly and professional...I would highly recommend this school...I only wish they offered a high school in the area!!!

Posted December 16, 2010
I was excited about my daughters' enrollment in this school when then 2010 school year started.Now (less than 4 months ago)I can't wait for this year to end.My daughter loves this school but myself as a parent find the dean as well as the principal very unproffesion.The teachers are ok,but nothing to brag about ,and do get me started about the crazy parking lot.

Laurus Academy
24590 Lahser Road, Southfield, MI  48033
Last modified Laurus Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurus Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top