K-6 & Ungraded
Southfield, MI
Before care: Yes

Taylor International Academy 5

Posted October 13, 2014
Having new principal in the school made huge difference for me, my kids and our family. There is real leadership at Taylor International Academy. Happy to be here!.

Taylor International Academy 4

Posted August 25, 2014
This is my second year at Taylor International Academy, but not my second year of teaching. I've been teaching for 10+ years and all of my experiences have been Detroit Charters. This is the first school where a real difference was being made with the students here and the parent and teacher connections were truly genuine. The parents here seem to value their child's education and they are real partners. The students grow as individuals socially, as well as academically and with testing. The teachers work cohesively with each other to ensure that students are receiving a top-notch education. I would send my own child here.

Posted May 13, 2014
When this school first started I was extremely excited for my child to be educated here, but of course all of that changed when the leadership changed. Since the change, in Jan. 2014, the school is in complete chaos! The principal calls himself making the school safe for the children by have a closed campus which has discouraged parent involvement by limiting access to teachers and other staff members reguarding their children's education. He has poor management skills, bullies and disrespects his entire staff (let's it be known that since they don't have a union that it's either his way or the highway), and parents. Don't get me wrong there are some great teachers and staff at the school, but due to lack of strong and competent leadership it's impossible for the teachers to teach and the staff can't do their jobs effectively. The students (especially middle school) are out of control! There have been several fights in which students should've been expelled for, but have been allowed to return to the school after their 2/3 day suspension. It's not a safe school and my children will not be returning there in the fall!

Posted May 11, 2014
This school started out with an abundance of potential. Unfortunately it failed to live up to its' potential when it changed the leadership in early 2014. The current principal runs the school more like a correctional institution rather than a school. Communication with teachers has been significantly reduced if not eliminated. This prevents parents from knowing what is going on day to day. The school is on lock down; parents are not permitted to enter and the staff literally stands guard at the outside entrance like correction officers. This policy was not implemented as a result of any incident, but is simply the mind set of the principal. Teacher morale is at an all time low and it reflects in their interaction with students and parents. The leadership has forgotten that education is a partnership between student, staff, and parents. I would not recommend this school to anyone who wants a quality education for their child. I am pulling my children out at the end of the school year and I am not alone in my opinion. The majority of students and parents are not pleased with the current climate and direction.

Posted May 11, 2014
Taylor International is one of the worst charter schools in Michigan. The staff is relatively new and inexperienced. Sending my child to TIA was one of the worst mistakes I could make as a parent. My child's academics has declined as well as his self-esteem. If you are considering this school for your child please research their test scores. You can expect for your child to suffer academically and socially. This school should be closed immediately due to their poor scores and lack of effective leadership. Please check out their MEAP and MAP scores!!! If you love your child you will not think twice about putting them in this environment!

Taylor International Academy 3

Posted May 06, 2014
Taylor International Academy is a good school that has a lot of potential for greatness. The new principal is during a wonderful job in restructuring the school to achieve that greatness. Of course when change occurs, negative comments appear. We have to remember that it takes a village to raise a child. Educators cannot do it alone. Taylor International Academy does not give up on a child. Taylor International Academy has so much to offer such as small class sizes, morning care and after- school programs. With some of the recent changes I must say I like the closed campus (safety for our children and teaching staff). Also, the arrival / dismissal time and procedures. Taylor International Academy Principal is leading the school to greatness.

Posted March 25, 2014
My children spent two school years at TIA. The best way to sum up the school is "all that glitters is not gold". This school first appeared to be near perfect. But as the school year progressed, I realized the curriculum was way off. TIA employs teachers with little to no prior experience and allows them to create their own curriculum. Lets look at the new programs TIA implemented: Music - after meeting with the music teacher she believed teaching 4/5th graders sheet music was too early. In public schools, children in the 5th grades are playing instruments. At TIA that is impossible, because you first have to learn to read music notes. Gym - the gym teacher believes goals for 4/5th graders is working on hand/eye coordination. Excuse me? That is developed in KINDEGARTEN. Art - my children spent weeks working on a simple owl art project. Walk through the schools and you will hear nearly all the teachers yelling at students. UNACCEPTABLE. TIA treats kids like they are in a military school. Please send your children to a public school where they are respected and taught according to their grade/age.

Taylor International Academy 3

Posted January 17, 2014
My children have been with Taylor International Academy since 2010 and now I fell that it is time to make change. When we first started it was wonderful, the classes were small, the parents, kids and staff were friendly and Mr. Borowski was very welcoming. However, over the years there have been many changes and we have tried to hang in there. Unfortunately, this last change, the principal retiring in the middle of the school year and new leadership changing the start/dismissal times have forced us to come to this. I also agree with the comments regarding the after school program. I actually pay more for an outside after school program because I could not deal with the way it was ran. Overall, I can say on the learning aspect the teachers try there best and my children have learned a lot and they were happy.

Taylor International Academy 4

Posted October 15, 2013
Taylor International Academy is a wonderful school. The school stands by their word and follows the mission and vision they have created. TIA says they will provide an alternative learning choice for students, that they will ensure high academic achievement for all students, and that they will practice academic and social skills to compete internationally. The faculty and staff cares for each of these children and makes it a goal to see that not only their class is successful, but that each and every student is in understanding and receiving the amount of attention/work they need. The students interact with technology daily and are taught to appreciate the arts through a number of encore classes including music and Spanish. TIA also stresses an international component, which is also holding to be true as a group of students went on a school trip to Poland this past spring. I believe in TIA and like the direction they're headed.

Taylor International Academy 5

Posted October 15, 2013
I am a huge promoter of Taylor International Academy. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and frankly I am sure every school has their positive and negatives. TIA like other schools does have its ups and downs, but the positives continuously outweigh any negatives and that is because the success of the children is in best interest, and that is what is most important.

Taylor International Academy
26555 Franklin Road, Southfield, MI  48034
Last modified Taylor International Academy is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Taylor International Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top