Huron Academy

Charter | K-6 & ungraded | 532 students

We are best known for learning community.

Living in Sterling Heights

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $116,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted January 28, 2009

We pulled our son out of Utica schools and enrolled him at Huron Academy. Huron Academy has provided our son with the education that he deserves. It is an outstanding school with a top notch teaching and leadership staff. It has been an absolute pleasure volunteering for the school and look forward to the coming years. Our son has told us repeatedly how much he enjoys Huron Academy and what it has to offer. The class sizes are perfect and he gets the attention he deserves. The curriculum is superb and challenges him in a positive way. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 10, 2009

I am a parent at Huron Academy and my children have been attending the school for 3 years now and I am extremely pleased with the school. We had to transfer from a private school due to financial reasons and I feel my child's education is above what it was at the private school. They have high standards when it comes to academics. The teachers give the students many opportunities for the children work up to there potential and beyond even if the class as a whole is not ready yet. I know my children are safe, secure and being well taught by highly qualified teachers at Huron Academy.

Posted January 7, 2009

I recently became aware of your site and wanted to let you know just what a blessing Huron Academy has been for our family. The school provides the choice for Macomb county residence that simply was not in place a decade ago. Their full day Kindergarten program is second to none; the staff really cares about each student and the school leadership is supportive and listens to parental concerns. The local school district school didn t provide us with a voice, the leadership and staff was not concerned with what concerned us as parents. Huron Academy changed all that. We feel confident each day when we drop off our child that she will receive a quality education and most importantly be safe from school bully s as Huron Academy has a well defined policy that does not permit such activity and we know that it works. Huron Academy IS A GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted September 16, 2008

Wow this school is great, the kids learn so much! I have had my kids in public school in the past and i will not go back, they have been going here for years, it is a wonderful school

Posted August 7, 2008

My 2 daughters have been attending this school now going on their third year. It is a great program they have learned so much and are honor roll students not only from their own hard work but the support from the teachers. I recommend this school.

Posted April 15, 2008

The staff at Huron Academy were very successful when my special needs child was in need of a school advocate. The one on one teaching environment was of great benefit to my special needs child.

Posted February 5, 2008

This school has a wonderful program for Special Needs Students; from the early elementary grades to middle school grades the staff is wonderful. The principle has a great, supportive, attitude towards the special needs students.

Posted November 6, 2007

My three children attend Huron Academy. I think it is a great school. The teachers really care about the students and go the extra mile to make sure your children are doing great in school! It is great to know that Huron Academy is expanding its programs while the public schools are making so many cuts in their programs. The administration is great they listen to your concerns and do their best to solve the problems. One of the best things I love about the school is the amount you as a parent are able to be involved in you child's education. Overall I think Huron Academy is a great school for my children.

Posted June 2, 2007

My three children attended the school year for 2006-2007 and they will continue to attend there! It is a wonderful school, I love the child to teacher ratio. Immediately when your child struggles you are informed! they offer tutoring, this school I highly recommend!

Posted April 17, 2007

My child has thrived at Huron Academy. His teacher is wonderful. He is one of the fortunate ones that receives tutoring after school which has helped him make the honor roll. I wish there was more extracurricular activities offered as well as sports. The PTC is very active and keeps the fundraisers going. I am aware that it is the same parents over and over who I see doing lunch duty, but those parents either stay home or work non traditional hours. As one of the fathers told me, either do lunch duty or not see his child during the week. Huron Academy offers a solid academic base and I encourage anyone to consdider this school.

Posted May 21, 2006

I have been at Huron Academy for 6 years and I love the school! Now they have K- 8 instead of K-4. If you want an excellent school, great teachers, and a fun learning environment come to this school. I have been an all A student since kindergarten and I love it!(if you have not noticed it I am a student at Huron Academy). Some kids hate the schools because we have to wear uniforms but I say its better like that. Math is really hard but not to hard for me. I am sure if you go to this school youll never leave!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 11, 2006

Huron Academy has been a good school for my 2 boys.Huron has given my children a good educational foundation.The administration is strong and fair.They have created a safe and friendly environment for the children and the parents. A business or a school is only as good as the person in charge;Huron has proven to be a well run establishment.

Posted May 11, 2006

My family has been at Huron Academy for five years, and I absolutely love it! I constantly talk to parents in the local elementary schools, and I believe I still have my children in the right place. The classrooms are smaller, and the reading and math programs, I believe, are better than the those in the local district schools. Despite the lack of an actual gym, I have spent a great deal of time observing the gym program and find it to be the best physical education program I have ever seen. I like the character education program and the zero tolerance policy. I love being at a school that allows as much parent involvement as you are willing to give! When you have children that get good grades, don't like to miss school, and beg you to stay there until the 8th grade, you know you have a winning school!

Posted May 10, 2006

I've been very happy with the quality of the education my children have been receiving at this school. The administration seems to truly care about the welfare and education of my kids. They love going to the aftercare program and sometimes don't want to leave! I would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted May 9, 2006

Huron Academy helped my children in many ways. My children have improved self-esteem and are now excited about school. I have enjoyed working with the teachers and the administration. I encourage anyone looking for a change to look into Huron Academy.

Posted February 15, 2006

I enrolled my son in Huron in December of 2005 and I can not believe the dedication from the Teachers and Staff. From the moment I was completing paperwork for enrollment the staff was so nice and friedly. I have to suggest this school. Yes, it does not have a gym as one of the parents said in their review but it has everything eles, from the beginning of the day to the end, in which a parent wants to see for their child: a very organized, caring, and clean environment where the teachers go above and beyond to help the kids feel like family. There is no teasing, fighting, bullying tolerated, period: (Zero Tolerance Policy). The school communicates well with the parents. Some Teachers tutor after school until 4:30pm and there is a wonderful latchkey program that is very organized. I highly suggest Huron to every parent!

Posted January 3, 2006

I was a parent here at huron adcademy for 31/2 years,My child had the best education here at the academy, I was pleased with the class size,teachers made it very comfortable in the class room which made the kids want to learn. The staff here is just wonderful and very helpful. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 22, 2005

As a parent involved within Huron Academy I wish more parents would be more active. I find the majority of the parents are to busy with their jobs for their kids. It's really sad. Those are the ones that complain too about Huron. One of the best things about Huron is the parents and their involvement. The parents have the power to make the school great. Go to a PTC meeting. Oh wait there is already 5 people there why should you have to go? I also love the fact that there is no Union. The teachers are at will employees like the rest of the world. And any teacher who has been let go has been for good reason. Yes sometimes you have to question the motivation of the principal. But, it's like that in any school. Oh wait, public schools can't get rid of bad teachers after ten years.

Posted December 26, 2004

The academic program is excellent, and my child finds the homework challenging and exciting. Parent participation is extremely important for the overall success of the children. You may hear parents complain, but most of them do not volunteer their time on a consistent basis. I am a very active parent, and I participate in all of the school activities. I volunteer as lunch helper, assist the teachers with field trips, or helping out whenever needed. Therefore, it is up to the parents to make after-school activities available. In essence, a charter school is a joint effort between parents and the staff. In order to have an after-school program parents must volunteer to coordinate the activities. Overall, the school is excellent, however parent participation needs improvement. The children wear uniforms, are extremely well mannered and well-spoken. Forget the Meap results Huron Academy is a great school.

Posted August 6, 2004

I am torn. My son has had wonderful teachers for the past 3 years but now all of them have been 'let go'. Whose footsteps will my younger children follow in. The reason...'over qualification'. To me this says they were too educated and too expensive therefore eaisly replaced by less costly new grads. I really despise this mentality...get the cheapest not the most qualified. Despite my letters to Beacon and to Principle Filipi, I have not even received a form letter to address my concerns. Parental involvement is expected in the lunch room but not on any other level. Class blending is also a threat. IE: lower achieveing 4th graders being placed in the same class as high achieveing 3rd graders. My family will leave Huron if this happens. We miss Principal Gray.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

79 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

70 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

45 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

45 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 19% 18%

Source: 1 MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Top 25 Charter Schools in Michigan (2010)
  • Ranked Number ONE Charter School in Ferris State's Authorized Charter Schools (2010)

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Latin

Health & athletics

• Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mr. Mark Talbot
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (586) 446-9173

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin

Extra learning resources offered
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Auditorium