Plumbrook Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded | 472 students

Posted November 12, 2013

I chose the wrong school to my kids ,teachers not fair ,and the principal believing the teacher no matter what .be careful parents

Posted July 9, 2013

Plumbrook Elementary has been a wonderful school for our son! He loves school and looks forward to going every day. The teachers are amazing, so kind and friendly, and go out of their way to help their students' achieve. I'm sorry a few have had a bad experience but I don't see it and I am there often! I am school of choice so we picked Plumbrook out of many school tours, don't let a few negative people dissuade you from a wonderful school!

Posted December 23, 2012

This school has been an amazing experience for my two children who attend there. I usually don't leave reviews on the internet but felt in lieu of some terribly negative comments about this school I should speak up. The New Principal goes out of her to implement new policies to help the student body in any way she can. She is accessible, kind, and you can always find her outside the school in the morning directing traffic, inside visiting with the students, or in the office meeting with parents and children. The teachers my kids have had are amazing. My child has had issues at every other school he attended but not here at Plumbrook. They are able to give him the assistance he requires to be accepted and a successful student. This school has students with all different physical needs and incorporates all students into being united and accepted. They are quick to deal with any type defiant behavior and resolve the issues between the children with civility. I have never been at a school where the children were so accepting of each other. It has been a great experience and we are so glad our children attend this school.

Posted November 20, 2012

Very bad school ,I did explained last year about this school in this website,and now I don't see my old reviews,it looks like been flagged to cover the truth about this school ,All the story was they make differences between the students ,I do have three kids in this school and always they been blamed even if they didn't do anything,plus my kids couldn't make any friends ,because of no one give any chances for them all these years ,time to move them to better school to save their future.plus I agree with other review when it said :( This school is setting the standard to produce defiant and/or delinquent children ),plus most the students parents make rumors on other kids.to make a bad picture on that kid ,just because their kids don't like the other innocent kid or if it's that student from different culture .

Posted September 15, 2010

Great school!! Very happy here and so is my son! I'm ver y happy with my childs teacher and principle. I wish the playground would get a facelift though....

Posted May 19, 2010

I disagree with the negative statements previously posted. All three of my children attend Plumbrook and we couldn't be happier. Two years ago, a new Principal was hired and she is doing a great job. The culture of the school has changed to one of encouragement and smiles. You see smiles on the teachers' faces and can tell they enjoy coming to work. My children have always received a great education from Plumbrook. Thank you teachers!

Posted May 11, 2010

My son is in the all day kindergarden at Plumbrook elementary and I have to say this has been the worst experience of his and our lives. How is it that 5 year old boys get suspended for doing what little boys do. What ever happened to positive re-enforcement with children? Do these teachers not have to go through classes on how to use positive re-enforcement and encouragement with young minds because using negative interventions only creates hostile feelings in little minds that havent developed coping skills or reasoning abilities. My son used to love going to school and really looked forward to it, now its a daily strugle to get him out of bed and he HATES School! Thanks Plumbrook Elementary.

Posted May 11, 2010

This school is setting the standard to produce defiant and/or delinquent children. I was warned prior to enrolling my kids into this school but I didn t listen. I took a chance and put my kid through the worst educational experience any child could ever imagine. Looks like I ll be spending the summer undoing the negative affects this school has caused my child. Good bye Plumbrook and thanks for the absolutely miserable school year.

Posted February 14, 2009

It was a pleasure to be at Plumbrook Elementary. I attended Plumbrook for 5 years and that was one of the best 5 years of my life. I am now on my was to Michigan State University. Thank You Plumbrook!

Posted December 29, 2008

Plumbrook Elementary is wonderful! I am sorry that a few isolated people have had a bad experience but I have found it to be nothing but great. The teachers give 110%, the kids are learning diversity and acceptance, and parent group is trying to pull everyone together with well thought out activities. I feel at home with Plumbrook!

Posted April 9, 2008

Very disappointed with this school. My step-son is now in the 5th grade here. We were going to pull him and change schools but, decided it would be too hard on him for just 2 years. This is the first year that has had a really decent teacher - things just always seem unorganized. Office staff is very rude - always. The school is not kept up very well at all. It is always dirty, tons of garbage outside on the grounds. Playground equipment is in really bad shape, too. On an annoyed parent note - fundraising is out of control. They do way too many making it hard to raise any money.

Posted March 4, 2008

I m a parent and I had 2 sons attend Plumbrook. I have been reading some of the reviews and I would like to say my children have not had any racial problems. From the 2 years I have dealt with the school I believe that Mr. Schroeder is doing a good job with the kids. He addresses problems without always trying to send the children home from school. My children are coming to this school system from private school and Plumbrook is keeping up with the fast pace they are used to in private school. My oldest son left Plumbrook and now attends Davis Jr. High and because of Plumbrook and the trained staff he is in advanced classed over there and every time he has to come over to Plumbrook Mr. Schroeder always acknowledges him and ask him how school is coming. I think that shows he cares about his present and past students. Now we could work on the office staff being friendlier.

Posted May 31, 2007

This was our sons first year at Plumbrook and he's in second grade. I don't think the problem lies with just the teachers and the principal but at home as well. My son is ADHD and has a reading learning disability and with the help of his regular teacher and his learning center teacher he has come a long way, with the possibility of getting out of the learning center. We have had a few ups and downs with a few of the kids, but feel it was handled appropriately by the staff.

Posted May 18, 2006

We chose to switch to Plumbrook 4 years ago and really like it compared to the other UCS school we left. The 1st grade, second grade and third grade teachers have been wonderful. Mr. Schroeder does a good job as principle. I have definately seen worse! I have seen problems with the teachers not taking action when there are problems between kids but I havent seen any problems due to nationality. The children are learning to get along with all types of kids due to the many different nationalities and also the POHI program being mainstreamed. Overall a great school!

Posted May 5, 2006

I am not a parent. I am a certified teacher who recently subbed at this school. I too noticed racial problems. Nothing was done about it! I think these students are good at heart, but if the people in charge do not deal with the issues, learnig will NOT take place. I will not go back there. :0(
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 16, 2005

You do not want to send your child to this school. They do not stand up for your children here. I love that the school is ethnically diverse, however, the ethnic students get treated differently than the other students. The school has gone through 3 principles in less than 6 years. The current principal is there for a paycheck, not for the students. I have since pulled my children out of this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

64 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

64 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 4% 18%

• (586) 797-6001

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

39660 Spalding Dr