Browning Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 481 students

Posted May 30, 2013

Browning - My son will be going into 5th grade this fall. Every one of his teachers have been the greatest and matched his personality. They have been supportive, motivating but challanging for him to do his personal best. The current principle has been there for most of the time my son has been there so I hadn't really gotten to know the prior one. All I can say is that she is very motivating, energetic and the kids love her. I think most of the parents who have negative things to say aren't as involved as they maybe should be. She is driven and gets things done, yes - but from my experience she has always been awesome with the kids and helps them solve their own issues. Kids need to start being accountable early and parents need to relax and help them learn this and support them. We have loved ALL his teachers, but Ms. Westman (now Mrs. Scerske) has been our favorite. I only hope my other son and daughter are fortunate to have her as well. She teaches sign language, compassion and is wonderful. Mrs. Aiello is another one that is challanging but in the most rewarding way where my son needs it. The Elementary National Honor Society and its teachers are awesome too!

Posted February 17, 2013

Our family started at this school in 2001. We now have a Junior at UAIS, Freshman at Ford II, & a 6th Grader at Browning. We have been very fortunate to have had the friendship & support of the Browning community over the years (this includes, families, students, staff, & administration.) So proud of the effort members of the staff put in to improve & provide a well-rounded educational experience (media center/literacy programs, National Junior Honor Society, Science Olympiad, Student Council, Physical Education initiatives & Fun Run, Recycling Club, etc.) Not to mention all the time, effort, & compassion that goes into ensuring all our 6th graders over the years leave Browning academically, socially, & emotionally ready for Junior High! I could go on & on. It wouldn't be possible without the collaboration between home & school. It takes a village! So, thanks to all the families, students, staff, etc. who've done so much to make "Browning the Best!"

Posted May 27, 2012

I am extremely disappointed by principal & office staff's lack of effort to truly listen to students and parents. More importantly, their refusal to incorporate feedback into school initiatives, learning communities, etc. It's her way or the highway. School atmosphere has suffered as a result. Parents must feel welcome to volunteer, ask questions, and critical part of their child's education without feeling looked down upon, judged, and unappreciated. It's sad. Browning doesn't have the cohesive partnership it once had between parents, staff, & administrations. Very unfortunate parents don't feel welcome or that it's worth the effort to try.

Posted March 14, 2011

I am not as happy with the new principal at our school. Our school used to be a great place for children. The staff was adored and the principal cherished. Not so much anymore! She has a very distanct way of doing things and if your not on board she will twist and turn to fit her needs. Support staff is hard to keep at browning now a days. The teaching staff is split which is never good. I feel as though she is a puppet with not much real concern for our children. She is a master in manipuation if your not careful. Becasue we now have a choice i would not choose browning. Be careful of her words

Posted July 21, 2010

Browning is truely the best!! We transferred to Browning after a disaterous experience at another UCS elementary. The Principal was wonderful- she went out of her way to make our child feel special and welcome. She energectially greets the children every morning, knowing most by thier fist names. The teacher was respectful of my child and truely cared for her well being. The students and their families were warm and welcoming. The PTA is very active and creates opportuites for the students. It is very easy to get involved in the PTA-no political nonsense so often plagued by small groups. I cannot say enough about Browning!!

Posted December 10, 2008

My family is new to Browning Elementary. My children have transferred from a private school, and I cannot explain how much happier my children have been. They enjoy going on the bus, they love their teachers! My husband and I feel much more comfortable at the school. I have been reading about the new principal and all I can say is that she and her staff have been the most welcoming people ever. For example, she welcomed the children one by one this morning as the buses were late (due to ice and snow conditions )and she put the children at ease about being late, I am certain that she is a truly caring and well certified principal! Academically, my children are right at the level they should be and socially, they are so much better off! The parents @ Browning have also made my family feel very welcomed!

Posted December 9, 2008

I am a former student of Browning and currently a Future Educator student as well. (My placement is in the Learning Center.) I think Browning is a wonderful school for children. The staff is welcoming and always put the students first. The new principal is trying her best to make eveyone feel welcome, including during conference week, in which she came around to each classroom with a cart of baked goods (pie, cake, brownies, ect) and served each teacher herself, which shocked me, in a good way. The teachers work together as a team, using each other as resources. I have nothing to say but good things about this school!

Posted October 15, 2008

I disagree with the below post the changes being implemented are there to protect our children and school, they are the same policies UCS has always had our school just was very casual about them. Give the principal a chance she has been there for what 3 months and people are already asking what the school board was thinking. this school has needed change for a long time, out with the old in with the new. I have been a Browning parent for many years now and welcome the change the I see.

Posted October 14, 2008

While there are many, many positive things about Browning, I have to disagree with a lot of the review posted 10/13/08. I find it upsetting that the new principal & apparently the staff are implementing changes that set up barriers & restrict parental participation. If we lose the support of the community, where will this 'Great School' & its teachers be in a few years?

Posted October 14, 2008

The teachers love what they do and they put the success of our kids FIRST. It is nice to see the principal greeting the students with enthusiasm each morning. The kids share this excitement and look forward to school. It is obvious everyone has a passion for working with children.

Posted October 13, 2008

Browning says they are the best, and I agree! I am happy with the school and the new principal. We heard lots of great things about the peace assembly for the kids. With all the negativity in the world, it is great to see the staff working together to make this world a happier place. The principal helps kids solve their problems with one another. I feel good knowing my kids are at Browning!

Posted October 7, 2008

I have been a parent in this school for about 4 years , in the begining i was very happy, now i wish i could send my kids to another school i am so disapointed in the new principal. She is not principal material shame on the board of ed they should have known that she was not a good choise god help our kids

Posted October 6, 2008

The teachers, PTA, students, & support of the Browning community are outstanding! I hope that the new principal will strive to ensure: 1)everyone feels welcome, 2)volunteerism is valued & appreciated, & 3) feedback (both positive & negative) is respected & when necessary acted upon. If we all work together, Browning will continue to thrive & be the best.

Posted October 1, 2008

Browning is a wonderful school! It has a lot of positive energy, where the staff is very energetic and highly motivated. This school allows students to be challenged to meet their full potential. I have never been in a warmer, more caring learning environment.

Posted October 1, 2008

Browning has exceeded our expectations! The sense of community between the school and the parents is wonderful. The PTA is very supportive, the school is very clean and you can tell that the staff loves working with children.

Posted September 29, 2008

This is a new school for us this year and feel that there is a lack of genuine warmth in how things are handled from the principal and especially the office personnel. Didn't expect that from an elementary school that is in one of the best school districts in the area. The teachers at the school seem to be very good and it's too bad that you have to deal with the others to get to them.

Posted November 29, 2007

Our daughter is in kindergarten and she absolutely loves it! I think the staff, principal, and PTA are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for caring. We look forward to our son entering the pre-school program next fall, based on the wonderful things we have heard.

Posted April 14, 2007

my daughter is in preschool, and she love's it. I like it and so does my 3 year old. I like the security checks from employee's. But the number 1 reason is the Teacher. She has a great way of teaching.

Posted January 24, 2007

Great school. The teachers are all fantastic. Also, the Principal is wonderful. MEAP scores are very high as well.

Posted January 10, 2006

I like Browning Elementary. I have not had the experience to deal with any other schools, but I like what I see at Browning. My daughter attends Kindergarten and I have no problem with anything. Everybody is very friendly and nice. I receive notes on every extra-curricular. My daughter is learning and comes home every day excited. She likes school. I have had the experience with Browning - thru my stepchildren) and I have liked every teacher and been very happy with the academics. I would recommend Browning Elementary, highly recommend. We are very happy - my daughter attends weekly - the research center, music, art, gym and every other week German. Parents are asked to volunteer for parties and field trips. I am very happy with the Kidergarten program.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

65 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

60 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

79 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

81 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

74 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 5% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Nina Carver-Hardiewich
Fax number
  • (586) 797-4001

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education