Dekeyser Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded | 523 students

Posted June 1, 2011

We transfered to this school last year, and are VERY happy with the school, programs, classroom teachers, principal and families. Parents are very involved. There is a great multicultural feel about the school.

Posted June 18, 2010

I did an extensive research of schools in Utica District before enrolling our daughter in K, my husband and I simply wanted to give her the best we could! We chose DeKeyser ultimately because of their full day K program (not that many schools have it anymore!), and also the school ratings (we checked out greatschools.com and also the report cards on michigan.org). We simply couldn't have made a better choice! Our daughter just graduated from Kindergarten, we are very pleased with her progress throughout the year, all experiences with all teachers (including latch-key teachers), parents, principal have been positive, it's been a wonderful, blessed year! Special thanks from Anna, my husband and I to Mrs. Farr (the best teacher on Earth!), Miss Dawn from Latch Key, and also million thanks to Mr O'Connor and Mrs Marsha from Pupil Services who gave our daughter the chance to start at Dekeyser!

Posted February 16, 2010

I completed my teaching internship at Dekeyser a couple years back and must say that the students are very lucky to have such caring teachers and staff. The Dekeyser family is 'unique' and very supportive. Now that I am in a full time teaching position, I see my school striving to put measures and strategies in place that Dekeyser has been successfully doing for years. I truly recommend this school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 20, 2009

The staff in this building is AMAZING! I cannot say enough about the programs that they run, the parental support, the teachers, and the amazing administration! This school has inspired my child to be a life long learner.

Posted June 24, 2009

My daughter is not currently attending classes at Dekeyser, but she is enrolled in the IEP program. We have received excellent information and good tools. At times I felt as if my daughter was the only child that the school needed to work with. My family is truly grateful for the help we have received. A special thanks needs to be extended to Ruth Billings.

Posted June 12, 2009

I don't understand why UCS is spending money on the on-line blackboard when it is hardly being used. I believe my child's teacher posted things on it 5 times this year, I expected it to be used AT LEAST once a week.

Posted June 11, 2009

Yea to DeKeyser! Best elementary school in UCS! The students, parents and staff make it be the most amazing place where education takes place on so many different levels. Thank you to everyone that helps to make DeKeyser the place where'adventures never end!'

Posted May 11, 2009

I agree with the parents who commented on this schools inability to help children with special needs. There is a lack of understanding of disabilities at DeKeyser. Very negative approach to education. Where is the positive reinforcement? Discipline methods are ridiculous. Double jeopardy- get in trouble and serve detention and then not allowed to participate in activity later in the year for the same incident...how is this justice? Staff unprofessional in front of students and parents. Overall, this school has been a very disappointing experience. And as for the statement from one of the teachers reviews regarding parent suggestions and advocating for your child...we tried this it doesn't work!

Posted January 17, 2009

As someone who is very close to the DeKeyser community, I have to say that I am shocked by the last comment posted. I have never seen any of the behaviors listed in that post happen at DeKeyser. In fact, I have never seen anything but positive, caring interactions between students and staff. Since DeKeyser doesn t have walls, it would be really difficult to hide anyone who belittles or embarrasses students. The teachers in that building are wonderful. They are passionate about what they do and make extra efforts to meet the needs of all students and create a positive learning experience. They often go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure their students and families are happy. I don t think some people realize the efforts the staff puts in to make DeKeyser great. To say that the teachers are only there for their summer vacations is inaccurate. Many people don t know that most of the teachers work all summer on their own time attending workshops and planning in order to better themselves and their classrooms. Mrs. Klatt has always been consistent. She deals with issues quickly and fairly. As a school of choice, there are families bringing their children to DeKeyser because of its reputation of academic success and caring. Families who are registered at DeKeyser are recruiting their friends and family. I don t think there s any higher compliment. If you are truly concerned about students being embarrassed and belittled, my suggestion would be to check in the main office and ask to observe the school for a day. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the great things you see.

Posted January 14, 2009

I have been a DeKeKeyser parent for 15 years, and I can't say anything negative about the first 13 of those years. The last two years, however, have been absolutely awful. Some of the teachers seem as though they are in this profession simply to have their summers off. They are not patient or understanding with the children, and embarrass them regularly in front of others. It is my opinion that children should be taught with encouragement; not belittlement. There are some wonderful teachers at DeKeyser but there are definitely those who could use some further education. Unfortunately, the principal seems to 'blow off' the concerns we have brought forward. It's time for Mrs. Klatt to start holding some review workshops for those teachers who have forgotten why they went into this profession.

Posted August 14, 2008

The curriculum is good, but I find some of the teachers to be rather snobby. They also seem to have some cliques within the faculty. That is not the example I want set for my children, especially my daughter.

Posted August 14, 2008

I have found some of the teachers to be a bit snobbish. They seem to have their own cliques within the staff. This is not the example I want set for my children, especially my daughter. I want them to learn to accept everyone.

Posted June 12, 2008

As a former Special Services TA at the school. I know first hand the difficulties of a special needs student. This staff has bent over backwards with each of the students in my care to accomodate the needs of a special ed student without forgetting the needs of the other students in their classrooms. Again, perhaps a GOOD look at other area schools and how they handle the same situations would give a clearer view on the agenda of the staff at DeKeyser. Imagine that, wanting to do what best suits the needs of YOUR child as well as what is best for ALL of the children that attend the school.

Posted May 27, 2008

I feel really bad for any parent that can honestly say the principal and teachers are cold at DeKeyser. My child has been at Dekeyser for 4 years and we absolutely love it. Dekeyser is her school but everyone treat us like family. I have to agree with one of the previous reviews....the principal and teachers know each child by including the ones that aren't your typical 'problem child'. I know this to be true because they know my child by name and my child hasn't spent any time in the office for any negative reason. Dekeyser Staff Rock!!!

Posted May 17, 2008

As a teacher at DeKeyser I am surprised by the posting regarding special needs children. DeKeyser has been praised time and time again by both district representatives as well as consultants from the MISD for their extensive interventions and accommodations for students with special needs. Both the principal and staff regularly go out of their way to meet the needs of our students. We have been told many times by both parents and educators that we do more than many schools around for our special needs population. Our team is compassionate and always puts the needs of our students first. If parents are unhappy I feel it is their job to advocate for their children, meet with the special education team to voice their concerns, and come up with a solution. Our staff would be more than happy to work together.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 13, 2008

I personally have had not so great experience with this school. If you have a special needs child, they have absolutely no clue as to what to do. They will try their hardest to ship your child somewhere else just so they dont have to deal with him/her. I guess it is a good school if ur child doesnt have any special needs. But they are lost when it comes to accomodating to special needs kids. I also thought the principal to be very rigid and cold. Doesnt understand the needs of children. And the staff just follow her lead, and are afraid to speak up. This is my own personal experience and my opinion.

Posted April 19, 2008

I personally did not care for Dekeyser, I felt the staff was rather cold. However, I am glad to see that other parents have had a positive experience despite my misgivings toward the school.

Posted April 7, 2008

We have been at this school for about five years and have had nothing but a great experience from the whole staff, from the teachers right on up to the principal. When ever there has been a concern we have been able to address it and it has gotten immediate attention.We feel that the whole staff works together as a family for the benefit of your child. We also have noticed that children with special needs have flourished there. How many schools can you mention where the principal knows the childrens' names on a daily basis (not just the ones that stand out)? and where the teachers still take an interest in your child even after they have left their classroom? We feel that this is a great school to be associated with and have our children attend as their second home.

Posted April 6, 2008

I am shocked by the negative remarks from march 31st. I have been involved with dekeyser for over nine years. My oldest has moved onto junior high and is doing quite well due to the fine education and care he recevied here. My youngest -- a fifth grader - is also flourishing . As long as i have been here, i have never seen the militaristic attitude stated below. If a child has a need, it is not overlooked. And as for the attitude that this is not a family oriented community, this individual needs to take a closer look. We have had quite a few hardships fall upon families this year...And this entire community has rallied together for those students and families. Education is obviously important but this staff proves over and over again that family and community are a vital part of that education.

Posted April 4, 2008

I would like to start by saying if you gave this school a negatrive remark you have obviously never spent much time there.I'am a proud parent and volunteer. This school is ultimatly the most unique. Where else could you go where all the teachers know your children, science olympia, lap tops, art, music, ccccccomputer

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

80 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 5% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Ms. Mary Beth Merlo
Fax number
  • (586) 797-4401

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education