Sterling Heights, MI

Posted March 27, 2015
My son is nearing the end of kindergarten at Dekeyser & I am so very pleased with our decision to enroll him there. I did extensive research & talked to other parents. The teachers we have encountered at dekeyser are very qualified & passionate about their jobs. Mr. Wager is great & really responsive to parent questions/emails. The principal, Mrs. Merlow, seems to know whats going on. I love the SACC teachers as well. The curriculum is challenging for my son, who could read and was doing addition, subtraction & simple multiplication when he entered kindergarten so my husband & I were worried he'd get bored. But the program is developed to allow children to excel or go to "higher" level group reading or stations if needed. Each student even has his/her own iPad with adaptive apps that are "catered" to that student's level. I am also pleased with the fun extras sponsored by the PTCG. We have not participated in any of the extracurriculars as my son is in soccer & I didn't want to put too much on his plate this first year but we are considering joining the running club coached by the gym teacher, Mr. Pierfellice. DeKeyser is a great place for your child!!

Dekeyser Elementary School 2

Posted April 30, 2013
This is one of the most unwelcoming schools. If you are not part of a parent clique, you are not welcome to participate in the PTO. They do not want anyone new's ideas. The principal doesn't seem to care when there in inequity in the building between students. The teachers are often rude. Look at the transfer rate in the last 4 years. If you aren't part of the original staff, you will be chased out. Of course like any building, you will have a few gems. I can name about 5 teachers that are quite good. Hopefully your child will get one of them. If you do enroll your child here, hopefully your child is pretty average. Because if you need any extra help, you can forget about it.

Posted June 01, 2011
We transfered to this school last year, and are VERY happy with the school, programs, classroom teachers, principal and families. Parents are very involved. There is a great multicultural feel about the school.

Posted June 18, 2010
I did an extensive research of schools in Utica District before enrolling our daughter in K, my husband and I simply wanted to give her the best we could! We chose DeKeyser ultimately because of their full day K program (not that many schools have it anymore!), and also the school ratings (we checked out greatschools.com and also the report cards on michigan.org). We simply couldn't have made a better choice! Our daughter just graduated from Kindergarten, we are very pleased with her progress throughout the year, all experiences with all teachers (including latch-key teachers), parents, principal have been positive, it's been a wonderful, blessed year! Special thanks from Anna, my husband and I to Mrs. Farr (the best teacher on Earth!), Miss Dawn from Latch Key, and also million thanks to Mr O'Connor and Mrs Marsha from Pupil Services who gave our daughter the chance to start at Dekeyser!

Posted February 16, 2010
I completed my teaching internship at Dekeyser a couple years back and must say that the students are very lucky to have such caring teachers and staff. The Dekeyser family is 'unique' and very supportive. Now that I am in a full time teaching position, I see my school striving to put measures and strategies in place that Dekeyser has been successfully doing for years. I truly recommend this school!

Posted August 20, 2009
The staff in this building is AMAZING! I cannot say enough about the programs that they run, the parental support, the teachers, and the amazing administration! This school has inspired my child to be a life long learner.

Posted June 24, 2009
My daughter is not currently attending classes at Dekeyser, but she is enrolled in the IEP program. We have received excellent information and good tools. At times I felt as if my daughter was the only child that the school needed to work with. My family is truly grateful for the help we have received. A special thanks needs to be extended to Ruth Billings.

Dekeyser Elementary School 4

Posted June 12, 2009
I don't understand why UCS is spending money on the on-line blackboard when it is hardly being used. I believe my child's teacher posted things on it 5 times this year, I expected it to be used AT LEAST once a week.

Posted June 11, 2009
Yea to DeKeyser! Best elementary school in UCS! The students, parents and staff make it be the most amazing place where education takes place on so many different levels. Thank you to everyone that helps to make DeKeyser the place where'adventures never end!'

Dekeyser Elementary School 1

Posted May 11, 2009
I agree with the parents who commented on this schools inability to help children with special needs. There is a lack of understanding of disabilities at DeKeyser. Very negative approach to education. Where is the positive reinforcement? Discipline methods are ridiculous. Double jeopardy- get in trouble and serve detention and then not allowed to participate in activity later in the year for the same incident...how is this justice? Staff unprofessional in front of students and parents. Overall, this school has been a very disappointing experience. And as for the statement from one of the teachers reviews regarding parent suggestions and advocating for your child...we tried this it doesn't work!
2 people found this helpful

39600 Atkinson Drive, Sterling Heights, MI  48313
Last modified Dekeyser Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dekeyser Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top