Posted June 01, 2011
We transfered to this school last year, and are VERY happy with the school, programs, classroom teachers, principal and families. Parents are very involved. There is a great multicultural feel about the school.

Posted June 18, 2010
I did an extensive research of schools in Utica District before enrolling our daughter in K, my husband and I simply wanted to give her the best we could! We chose DeKeyser ultimately because of their full day K program (not that many schools have it anymore!), and also the school ratings (we checked out greatschools.com and also the report cards on michigan.org). We simply couldn't have made a better choice! Our daughter just graduated from Kindergarten, we are very pleased with her progress throughout the year, all experiences with all teachers (including latch-key teachers), parents, principal have been positive, it's been a wonderful, blessed year! Special thanks from Anna, my husband and I to Mrs. Farr (the best teacher on Earth!), Miss Dawn from Latch Key, and also million thanks to Mr O'Connor and Mrs Marsha from Pupil Services who gave our daughter the chance to start at Dekeyser!

Posted February 16, 2010
I completed my teaching internship at Dekeyser a couple years back and must say that the students are very lucky to have such caring teachers and staff. The Dekeyser family is 'unique' and very supportive. Now that I am in a full time teaching position, I see my school striving to put measures and strategies in place that Dekeyser has been successfully doing for years. I truly recommend this school!

Posted September 06, 2009

Posted August 20, 2009
The staff in this building is AMAZING! I cannot say enough about the programs that they run, the parental support, the teachers, and the amazing administration! This school has inspired my child to be a life long learner.

Posted June 24, 2009
My daughter is not currently attending classes at Dekeyser, but she is enrolled in the IEP program. We have received excellent information and good tools. At times I felt as if my daughter was the only child that the school needed to work with. My family is truly grateful for the help we have received. A special thanks needs to be extended to Ruth Billings.

Dekeyser Elementary School 4

Posted June 12, 2009
I don't understand why UCS is spending money on the on-line blackboard when it is hardly being used. I believe my child's teacher posted things on it 5 times this year, I expected it to be used AT LEAST once a week.

Posted June 11, 2009
Yea to DeKeyser! Best elementary school in UCS! The students, parents and staff make it be the most amazing place where education takes place on so many different levels. Thank you to everyone that helps to make DeKeyser the place where'adventures never end!'

Dekeyser Elementary School 1

Posted May 11, 2009
I agree with the parents who commented on this schools inability to help children with special needs. There is a lack of understanding of disabilities at DeKeyser. Very negative approach to education. Where is the positive reinforcement? Discipline methods are ridiculous. Double jeopardy- get in trouble and serve detention and then not allowed to participate in activity later in the year for the same incident...how is this justice? Staff unprofessional in front of students and parents. Overall, this school has been a very disappointing experience. And as for the statement from one of the teachers reviews regarding parent suggestions and advocating for your child...we tried this it doesn't work!

Posted January 17, 2009
As someone who is very close to the DeKeyser community, I have to say that I am shocked by the last comment posted. I have never seen any of the behaviors listed in that post happen at DeKeyser. In fact, I have never seen anything but positive, caring interactions between students and staff. Since DeKeyser doesn t have walls, it would be really difficult to hide anyone who belittles or embarrasses students. The teachers in that building are wonderful. They are passionate about what they do and make extra efforts to meet the needs of all students and create a positive learning experience. They often go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure their students and families are happy. I don t think some people realize the efforts the staff puts in to make DeKeyser great. To say that the teachers are only there for their summer vacations is inaccurate. Many people don t know that most of the teachers work all summer on their own time attending workshops and planning in order to better themselves and their classrooms. Mrs. Klatt has always been consistent. She deals with issues quickly and fairly. As a school of choice, there are families bringing their children to DeKeyser because of its reputation of academic success and caring. Families who are registered at DeKeyser are recruiting their friends and family. I don t think there s any higher compliment. If you are truly concerned about students being embarrassed and belittled, my suggestion would be to check in the main office and ask to observe the school for a day. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the great things you see.

Dekeyser Elementary School
39600 Atkinson Drive, Sterling Heights, MI  48313
Last modified Dekeyser Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dekeyser Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top