Sterling Heights, MI
Before care: Yes

Posted September 04, 2014
My daughter is going into her second year at Messmore. So far, this school seems great. She has excelled in all academic areas. She has always been a bright kid, but this school (and the Montessori method) brought out the best in her. The new principal seems like a good fit for the school, too, as he is friendly, understanding, and proactive. Perhaps one negative aspect is the somewhat elitist attitude some parents bring, but that isn't necessarily against the school itself.

Posted July 21, 2014
We are currently in the Pre-K program starting Fall 2014 (my son was in the nursery school program for the 2013-14 school year). I was concerned first about sending him to school 5 mornings a week, but he LOVED it and came out of his shell!) He enjoys the autonomy in the classroom and the fact that he has so many choices of what to work on in class. We chose this preschool specifically because it was Montessori AND a public school. We look forward to many more years at this public/montessori school. On a side note, the parking lot situation is a work in progress...with all the children being driven to/from school by parents, it's a bit hectic in the parking lot. I know there is a committee working on this and hope for some improvement this coming Fall.

Messmore Elementary School 1

Posted November 11, 2013
It's really sad that you have to pay to get into this school, meaning paying thousands of dollars to attend the preschool program, in order to get in to the free kindergarten through 6th grade. Living near by, I have been almost hit by, either in my car or walking my kids to their bus stop, by these parents who can't read traffic signs, don't know the rules of the road, or think its the Indy 500 because they're late for work. This school needs to move out of a highly dense neighborhood and on to a main road since all of these kids are dropped off.

Posted July 19, 2013
The secretary is polite with students and that's the main point. If you think the secretary is rude, then maybe you are not being well-mannered towards her, and you need to work on your people skills. You can not boss schools' personnel. As for bullying, they do punish kids when it happens. If you know how to handle bullying, please give your ideas to the new principle, sincr you have high hopes on him. I agree with you, he is a great addition to the team.

Posted July 18, 2013
I also feel that the staff is not properly trained or effectively handles bullying. I have high hopes for the new Principle who seems to be on top of things. As for the office staff, I can only say that yes, the secretary is rude and needs to retire.

Posted January 18, 2012
Messmore Mavericks Rock!!! Academics are Great. The science and Math olympiad teams to 1st place last year (2010-2-11)

Posted October 25, 2011
Best school in Michigan. We left MI and came to east coast, public school not even close to Messmore. Had to pull her out after 1 month of boredom due to really low curriculum (in a highly rated school and town!) compared to Messmore. She was YEARS ahead of the local school. Had her tested, and, yes, YEARS. Found a small private school willing to work with her at her advanced level. Explained that all Messmore kids are like this, they were IMPRESSED. What a treasure you guys have in Messmore, don't bash it.

Posted May 29, 2011
Wow...I cant believe another school year is almost ending...We at Messmore have met all challenges that came our way this year...New Principal whom has worked on blending into our wonderful school...She did a great job at our play...Great MEAP scores once again...a wonderful secretary whom keeps our children safe..and shows up for all after school programs...I have been very challenged through my children due to this top notch program..Best wishes to our 6th grade graduates...class of 2011.

Messmore Elementary School 4

Posted January 21, 2011
I have 3 children at Messmore Elementary, my oldest a 6th grader. Academically, Messmore is a wonderful school. Socially, well that s another story. The school, being culturally diverse, (Polish, Indian, and American) I find that there are clicks . The bullying is very present in the school. I also feel that the staff is not properly trained to effectively handle the bullying. That being said, my kids continue to go to Messmore and I have no intention of removing them any time soon. The Messmore families are very helpful and care for all the children. I have high hopes for the new Principle who seems to be on top of things. As for the office staff, I can only say that yes, the secretary is rude and needs to retire.

Posted December 02, 2010
I am a parent of 3 children at Messmore. My oldest child is in 6th grade. I have been happy with all aspects of the school. My primary reason for writing this review was prompted by the ignorant comment left by a parent about our new principal. How can you bash a principal in the beginning of the school year (Sept 16th) that is new to the school. You did not even give her a chance. You did not even know if the changes she made would work. Which most have. I have approached her with my thoughts and she was very open minded. The things she did not agree with, we talked through. Again she gave me a chance to review my thoughts. This school is a real gem in the district. We are lucky to have it. DO YOU think they would just give it to anyone?

Messmore Elementary School
8742 Dill Drive, Sterling Heights, MI  48312
Last modified Messmore Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Messmore Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top