Sterling Heights, MI

Posted May 03, 2015
Black Elementary is an outstanding school. It is one of the top performing schools in the district and has been for more than ten years. The staff is highly motivated and maintains high expectations for all students. They work together across grade levels to make sure that students are prepared for what's ahead. Teachers differentiate instruction to meet the needs of individual students and work with intervention teachers to help struggling students. The administrator believes in the teachers making curriculum decisions and encourages them to drive the school improvement process. She supports both teachers and students and also maintains high expectations for all. I will be bringing my child to this school when he is school aged because I believe in this school's ability to not only prepare children for the future, but they make it a truly enjoyable place to learn. The relationships that are built here last far longer than just from grades K-5.

Posted April 23, 2015
Great school! Wonderful and hardworking staff! They helped meet my child's needs. Great teachers and support staff! Principal is helpful!

Black Elementary School 3

Posted March 29, 2013
Here's the thing... It could be SO MUCH BETTER. Principal doesn't outright lie about stuff, but she sort of tells only the amount of truth needed to get things to go easily for her. There is excellent parent involvement. I feel like the kids are graded "easily" sometimes to avoid confrontation. Look into latchkey if you are considering Warren Consolidated Schools (some kids are bused to other schools for latchkey). All in all, we're going to hang in there, but I hate that I find myself wondering if I am selling my kids short. A lot of kids transferred out last year, and some of those parents tell me they are so happy they did.

Posted April 12, 2012
Black Elementary School is a fantastic school. My child has learned so much and the teachers are very committed. I really like the strong sense of community you feel at Black. I think that the teachers and the Principal are very fair, if your child is a hard worker and well behaved you will not have problems. Otherwise, it is the fault of your child. I have heard that Black is among the best schools as far as test scores and that speaks volumes.

Posted March 28, 2012
I brought my daughter to Black as a school of choice. I did a lot of research and met with a lot of schools before making this decision. She has had a wonderful year at Black and I would recommend this elementary to anyone. As far as the negative things that some people have written, the principal is fair and honest, and if your child's behavior is not up to par then you may not have a great experience. But, that is true of any good school. My child's kdg. teachers have been excellent, working together to make sure the children have a great first experience of school. The parent involvement and cooperation with staff is excellent which also helps keep a smooth running operation at Black. My child loves it here, and so do I!

Posted March 28, 2012
I currently have two students that attend Black Elementary. During the last four years we have experienced a positive learning atmosphere! I have loved all of their teachers and my children come home happy and ready to go to school the next day. The staff is friendly and works very well together. I am very happy that my children attend Black Elementary and I feel they are receiving a quality education.

Black Elementary School 2

Posted June 10, 2010
This is our third year at Black and I have to say this was one of the most disappointing years. The principal at Black is more of a reactive principal instead of proactive and says one thing to you and does another. also is not very friendly. This year they also stopped doing the monthly assemblies to recognize the students of the month and other accomplishments. My kids were very disappointed about that. We as parents are not allowed to be at this years Kindergarten end of the year picnic and that is very upsetting. We are looking for another elementary school for next year. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted June 04, 2010
We have two children attending at Black Elementary. Sadly we are almost at the end of our elementary years. They have had great, supportive teachers even willing to drop off homework for a sick day! The atmosphere is family orientated. The PTO works hard to provide fun activites for the kids, as well as support the school during this tough times. They are working on updating the library which is good. As with any school, parents must be involved we are THE key element to how well our children achieve!

Black Elementary School 1

Posted March 15, 2010
This is my child's 2nd year at this school of choice and i have to say this was a mistake. The teachers are not encouraging nor is the principle.Thankfully, this is my child's last year and i would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 08, 2009
I am raising my grandchildren and they attend Black. It is a great school and has a very supportive staff and teachers. I give Black and A+.....The kids love it!!!

Black Elementary School
14100 Heritage Road, Sterling Heights, MI  48312
Last modified Black Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Black Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top