Harwood Elementary School 1

Posted October 17, 2014
Harwood Elementary has gone from OK to worse. lack of funding is not the children's fault. if your child is struggling with something and you mention it to the teacher, the response will be " there are this number of kids in my class, i don't have the time to spend on just one child, I don't have the time to do one on one". It bothered me that the teachers don't have the patience to try and understand the children instead they brush them off. I wouldn't recommend this school at all unless you are really desperate.

Harwood Elementary School 1

Posted August 25, 2014
I can see why Principal Keener had to get out. It has gone from worse to terrible in 0-60 flat. The sad thing is for once it is not the teachers or leadership. It is the lack of parent involvement and the entitlement attitude of the students and their parents. I can see why they are a priority school and title one. parents need to get off their duffs and cellphones, learn English and get with it. Our kids are the ones suffering. Pulling my kids out of here after 3 years. There is a reason why they are 1% in testing MEAPs. It is not the principal or the teachers its the kids/parents. Very sad state of affairs in the WCS as the kids rule the school, not the teachers and other leadership.

Posted March 13, 2011
I have a 19 yr old that went through the Romeo School District. We still live in Romeo, but we drive my young son to Sterling Heights every day, because this school seems to be the best around for the early years. My son is only in Kindergarten, so I can't speak for the other grades. But I can say that the kindergarten teachers are doing such a wonderful job. There is a free after-school reading program enhancing the reading skill for kids in all grades, including Kindergarten. I believe that all the kids in my son's class can read to some ability. They do simple addition AND subtraction. And they even have simple social studies activities. I don't know how a Kindergarten could be better. The principle, Mr. Keener, seems to be able to set the tone for the school - caring, supportive, and strong. The school seems to have a good cohesion between the administrators, the teachers, the supporting roles, the parents, and the children. I also want to add that the diversity in the school is wonderful to see.

Posted December 31, 2009

Harwood Elementary School 4

Posted December 11, 2009

Harwood Elementary School 0

Posted November 19, 2007
Harwood has been a great school for many years.... Every school has its good and bad points....its good and bad moments. A child decides year to year which teachers he/she might like and learn from. Didn't you when you were growing up? Every teacher is not the same....they're people just like you....all different. Just as teachers are different from each other, so too are principals. The current principal is doing the best job he knows how to do. So too, the past principals did the best job they could do.

Harwood Elementary School 4

Posted December 04, 2006
It is a dream for us parents to hear from our pride and joy how much they truly enjoy school and how excited to be there they are. Mr.Keener and his staff have truly made Harwood Elementary their A1 commitment to being the best. The staff are dedicated professionals who strive for the best from our kids. All we hear about is Mr. Rayshouny and how great he is, very tough, but yet how fair he is as well and the kids love him for that. He puts his heart and soul into those kids and they all come away lauging and learning. My kids don't even have him for a teacher yet they feel like he cares for them just as much as his own class. Mrs. Macha is another teacher who stands out who wears her heart on her sleeve for these kids. We are blessed to be here.

Posted May 15, 2006
Mr. Keener and his wonderful staff have come a long way in the past few years. The school was in a shambles before him. Now there has been a complete turn around. The teachers care a great deal about our kids. Test scores and learning have improved dramatically. All of the teachers and staff are dedicated to thge well being of our kids. Great Job Harwood Staff !

Posted May 25, 2004
We are very happy with Harwood school! My daughter has attended Harwood for the past 3 years and I am continually impressed with the care and skill the teachers use to encourage and assist the students with the school year as well as keep the parents up to date on their progress! Our new principal is outstanding as well as the new office staff. I cannot say enough about these patient and compassionate professionals. I have seen them in action and any school would be lucky to have them! Lucky for us they currently reside at Harwood!

Harwood Elementary School 3

Posted March 15, 2004
I have never been more dissappointed with a school. The overall individual attention given to children that have problems with learning in math and other studies is very low. The teachers will not cooperate with parents to help their children suceed. If a child can not keep up with the rest of the class they get left behind hoping that a different teacher next year can fix the problem this school is very unorganized and I can tell you that my child will not be attending there next year.

Harwood Elementary School
4900 Southlawn Drive, Sterling Heights, MI  48310
Last modified Harwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top