Bad
Good

When relocating to the area, we could live anywhere central to Traverse City, and we studied closely the school options. We chose Suttons Bay for its test scores, graduation percentage, the athletic programs, and, not least important, the diversity. Ten years later we are so validated in our choice, not once rethinking our children would be better off elsewhere. The students have opportunities for high-quality education, in an environment where their academic progress is closely monitored and guided. No child's education is without trial, and I am grateful that my children are in a district, and indeed a community, that embraces them in both good times and bad. I look forward to both kids graduating, proudly, from Suttons Bay High School.

My children now ages 12 and 15 have attended Suttons Bay Schools since Kindergarten. My son is now in the 10th grade and my daughter is in 7th grade. I love Suttons Bay Schools and more importantly my kids love their school. This is the only county school that I am aware of that truly offers an individualized education for the students. If a student is excelling they move ahead, if they need extra help it is provided. With school funding at an all time low SBPS has been very creative in continuing to offer a wide range of excellent classes. Some of the offerings are Early College, Marching Band, Concert Band, Art, Art Appreciation and Music along with all the core subjects. The school is small enough that if a student wants to participate in band or in any sports program they are welcomed with open arms. And, in both music/arts and sports the teams are very competitive. Our test scores are not as high as some of the other schools because there is a very diverse socio economic group of students at SBPS. Many students enter our school with low scores and improve rapidly the longer they stay. Upon graduation students gone on to excel at colleges and universities.

Out of all the schools in Leelanau & Grand Traverse we chose Suttons Bay Schools for our children to transfer to from NH. It did not have the exclusiveness of Leland but also our children would not get lost in the mix of Traverse City. It has had a couple fo speed bumps to hurdle but overall we feel it has exceeded our expectations. With diligence and teacher committment our children arzaare growing into fine people. I would always recommend this school for its passion to kids.

Suttons Bay Public Schools has been striving for, and I think, is close to reaching, a goal of academic variety and excellence, rich exposure and availability of the arts, and strong sport and extracurricular activities. Though I am not very involved the sport arena at Suttons Bay, I have seen team after team go on to state and regional finals. There are some exceptional teachers available there as well, such as Nancy Scott, Ben Lantz and Todd and Nikki Hursey. The school is the only one in the county to offer Photography classes and offers a variety of invigorationg courses. The best part of Suttons Bay for me was being involved in Theatre and Choir. There are some truly talented directors involved in the plays at Suttons Bay who will go out of their way to help passionate students become better and learn more. It's a great school.

Last modified Suttons Bay Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.