Truman High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1141 students

Posted September 11, 2013

This school have alot to afford. I love this School and the stafd is great.

Posted September 4, 2013

Horrible School!!! Inkster is now RUNNING this school!! We already had enough problems in this district.. Both of my kids are getting pulled out of Taylor... I have been dealing with the bullying issues and the rude teacher issues for long enough.. Hopefully no one shows up for there student count day!! This district doesnt deserve a penny!!!

Posted May 3, 2013

I am a current Freshman at Truman High School. It isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, it isn't the greatest school, but it isn't horrible. It isn't the madhouse school portrayed by most media today. There isn't really much of a bullying problem, and even the one's there are just a minor "Hey you're stupid" type deal. Most people just mind their own business and move along to their next class. We have improved greatly over the years. I think it's finally time we deserve some recognition. So let's all give one cougar roar for my school, HST!

Posted September 18, 2012

This school is absolutely terrible. The teachers are just as disrespectful as their students. The building itself is filthy, and constantly smells terrible. The school is constantly calling home to report my absence, yet I'm sitting in the same seat I sit in every day which happens to be my assigned seat. Almost none of the teachers discipline the obnoxious students who hold up the class with talking, or other acts of stupidity. I don't know why my parents continue to pay taxes for this "school".

Posted March 17, 2012

This school isn't a great school, but I can say if your going on to collage, in this High school honors classes will probably be the only way your really going to learn anything. Some teachers are very expirenced and will help you on any your work (honors and accelerated teachers). Things to know: This school is rowdy Band Program is the BEST from what I've seen Basketball team's record is usually pretty good

Posted March 7, 2012

This school is HORRIBLE!!! They allow certain kids to Pick on and Bully other kids who have Disabilities and then suspend the kid that DEFENDS the one who has a handicap. The principal is NO help whatsoever nor most of the staff there except for One Counsellor. There are FIGHTS daily. Security are worthless. DO NOT SEND YOUR KID HERE!!!! Your KId will NOT learn nothing here. Better off in DETROIT!

Posted March 6, 2012

Its not totally a schools fault for their kids grades. Our kids go to truman and they look forward to school everyday. We support them in their interests and if their having a problem with a class we get involved right away by going to teacher to find out what is needed to help them. We think HST is a great high school.

Posted January 22, 2012

I have received 4 phone calls from the school. The 1st was regarding my 9th grade daughter being absent from school. I don't have a daughter let alone one that attends this school. I went to the school & talked to the principal & a secretary who told me there was nothing they could do, it was all handled by the Board Office. I called the Board Office & was told it was handled at the school. Yeah pass the buck. I would like to talk to this 9th grade girl's mother bet she wouldn't be very happy either.

Posted July 9, 2011

I graduated from Truman myself many years ago. I thought that sending my own child there would be ok. Boy, was I wrong. Not only are some of the kids essentially running this school, but the faculty is terrible, starting with the assistant principal and down. They have helped to suck the life out of my child, and basically crush her dreams. Faculty does have their favorites. My own child needed help in math and the teacher wouldn't help and we couldn't find anyone to tutor her either. Its been one disappointment after another. I am looking for alternate schools for my younger child. This whole experience was a huge letdown for my entire family.

Posted January 24, 2011

This school is VERY unfair towards certain students. One of the assistant principals of this school picks out favorites, and that's wrong. Truman is "ghetto" and full of rowdy kids. The teachers don't care about the students. It's just not fair. Kids should not come into this school. It's dirty, and the staff is rude. "you have to give respect to get it." Is what I always say, and the people at Harry S. Truman does not respect ANYONE.

Posted January 3, 2011

teacher don't want to help or listen to people . kids are running the school and they don't care . i going to Truman high I'm a 10th grader there . this school sucks so bad the lunch lady's went on strike on the three week of school started back up.please people don't send you children to this school. they are saying that they are closing the school down . where are all of us kids going to go?please send your children to Kennedy.

Posted February 28, 2010

This is a great school. They have great teachers, students, and the staff is just excellent.

Posted October 3, 2009

Out standing school. Lots of extra help after schooll.Many programs for the students. Like ROTC, wonderful band program and many more. Also have a great handicapped program. What else to be said, Awesome teacher and caring staff. Way to go Truman cougars.

Posted October 3, 2009

Over all this school is great.Good Teachers. They go out of there way to help. A+++ Lot of progams for the students.

Posted September 17, 2009

My daughter justed started Truman this year she is a Junior and so far she is really enjoying the whole atmosphere, the diversity and the total learning experience.

Posted May 26, 2009

I am a student here at Truman high school. i recently relocated from romulus to Truman seeking a better enviroment and though it is better than being at romulus i absolutely hate coming here. It's from an wide range of things from the students, especially, to just the whole school's proccess. I'm so tired of this i dont even feel like elaborating on how this school is. I most definetly do not and i quote DO NOT want to graduate from here. Some people may like this school but i for one do not. This is actually the second time since moving from NC to MI that i actually hate coming to school. I'm hoping to transfer over to Kennedy....Hopefully it will be better...

Posted February 21, 2009

This school is one of the best schools my children have ever attended. Not only does it have Teachers who really care about the students. The counselors go above and beyond their jobs to keep the students focused on college after high school. But the many programs it offers. Great school. I am very happy.

Posted August 7, 2008

I graduated from Truman High School and chose to come back to this area for my children to go to High School at Truman. My oldest will be a Junior this year and my middle child will be a Freshman this year. My Junior has been at Truman since her Freshman year and she enjoys it. She has joined many clubs and makes very good grades. Truman is a good school and just as good as any other public school in the area. Mr. Ellis was a good principal, sorry that his life ended suddenly. He will be missed greatly.

Posted March 26, 2008

I dont recommend this H.S. my child is a freshman & she says that people get away with being rude and her friends & her get harrassed by others. She comes home & says everyday she hates it. I dont think the teachers help one on one. Im tired of the lockdowns because of the school shooting threats. I mean who wants to worry about that all day. I am pulling her out & doing a charter school... I strongly recommend that for other parents who worry about their children.

Posted December 28, 2007

I'm a Senior At Truman High School and this school is not as bad as everyone likes to think. We have students that do care for school. I am one of them. Truman High, mostly a well known counselor, helped me get into four colleges that I applied to and got accepted to. It was a wonderful experience and a big help for me to start a career and to get on with my life without much trouble.

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

315 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 32% 18%

• (734) 946-6590

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11211 Beech Daly Rd