Taylor Exemplar Academy

Charter | K-8 & ungraded | 714 students

Living in Taylor

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Posted May 30, 2014

Great school. Great teachers, deans, and principle. Love it love it love it!! This site needs to provide more updated information on test scores. I think it's highly unlikely that scores are so low with how much attention is given to the students and how they seem to thrive while handling such a vigorous curriculum. My overall score for this school is an 8 out of 10. I think Great Schools is way off in their assessment (4 out of 10?!).

Posted May 23, 2013

Our school is great! The teachers really care about the kids and the quality of education they get. Their standards are high which I love.

Posted November 12, 2012

really love this school i am a student here i will be graduating this year i am so sad to go i love our principal he is a great person. he make sure that us students get what we need and more we also have wonderful field trips. i wished T.E.A went up to high school!!!!!!

Posted September 30, 2012

i agree the school seems very strict, they are more concerned with the consensual paperwork that the parents have to sign, the students must remain quite most of the time, and it is run on a military level. Sometimes you have to let children have a little air, they will still learn :)

Posted September 26, 2012

Update: Aug 8th I posted some issues pertaining to a paperwork error. Those issues were handled promptly and my son was able to attend on the first day of school with no problems. Mr Reese met with me personally and handled our situation quickly and professionally. As of today I am proud to say my son attends Taylor Exemplar Academy. He loves his teacher and I feel that the smaller size of the school allows the administration to communicate on a more personal level with parents. Yes, the principle does run the school on a strict level, but it's just as it should be. I want a principle and teacher who will assist me in pushing my children to be the best they can be and prepare them for college and their future career.

Posted September 1, 2012

I really don't like this school. If you were considering sending your kid there think again. The new principal, Reese, runs the school like a military school. He only cares about making the school look good. He doesn't even care about the students. He cares about the scores only. Mr. Price cared for both parents and students. He cared for everyone and the problems that needed focusing on were taking care of. He encouraged everyone to speak their mind. Reese only wants people to be quite and do what he wants them to do. And he throws the problems around like rag dolls.

Posted August 4, 2012

I could not agree more!!!! It's truly sad how things have changed - how test scores and not the individual child are more important and how students disabilities are often ignored.

Posted August 3, 2012

Last year was my step sons 1st year attending. He's went to Southgate Public his whole life. What I noticed for 6th grade- All his teachers but math were great. If I had a question I would email sometimes a lot and they would always email back quickly and solve whatever problem or answer any question. Lots of homework. I Googled one of the math worksheets he was given because it had no directions and he had NO CLUE how to do it. Turns out his 6th grade math is really 8th grade math and that would explain why he has never seen it before. Everyone seems to dislike the Principal. I met him during conf and he was really nice and helpful. Every Sunday my phone received a call from the school and newsletters were updated every month. What I do NOT like is the fact my 7th grader doesn't get out of school till 3:45pm so there wont be over crowding in the parking lot. He gets home from school (because he walks) after 4pm. I'll agree the school is tough but I think it's a good fit for my child. I gave him the option to attend a different school and he declined.

Posted August 2, 2012

Not returning...The reviews are right. The dynamic of the school has changed drastically and not for the good. Our family will be one of the many families not returning. I was a very involved parent helping out on a regular basis. That's what opened my eyes to how horrible things had become. The leadership is very arrogant and rude to the parents.

Posted June 30, 2012

while I cant rate because my child has not attended yet. It seems as though the former principle did a far better job then the current principle.The reviews get worse and worse after Mr. Reese took over. hhhmmmmm,,,NHA ,,,maybe you should look into this.

Posted June 26, 2012

Not returning next year. The school has become horrible!!! The no bullying policy is not effective. My child had several physical altercations with a bully and nothing was ever done. I wasn't even notified by the school, even after filing complaints with the principal. But watch out if you're missing a belt or your shirt isn't tucked in there are serious consequences. I was very sad to see so many of the families we started with pull their kids during the school year. But I totally understand. Talking to the principal and deans is like talking to a wall, they are never wrong. I can say there are some great teachers there. It's very unfortunate they work in such a hostile atmosphere where the leadership will throw them under the bus to save face.

Posted June 6, 2012

My son started at TEA when the doors opened, my daughter followed five years later, and the youngest will enter in the fall. This school has been wonderful. My son excels academically and is challenged on every level. My daughter has a type of muscular dystrophy--she is cognitively bright but physically weak. The Taylor school district REFUSED to accomodate her in a regular classroom, but that has never been a problem for her at TEA. My daughter has, hands down, the best aide one could ever ask for, and as a result does well and loves school. The teachers genuinely seem to enjoy their work, students are polite and friendly, and discipline/moral focus/character building/leadership training is built into the curriculum. As a non-religious family it is refreshing to see this emphasized in a school setting as so many public schools have shied away from teaching these lessons, and religious schools are either not an option or financially out of reach for some. Parking is a struggle some days, but that could be lessened with patience and parents simply following directions of the staff. Overall thumbs up, and I'm hoping to see a high school built in the near future.

Posted April 16, 2012

My daughter is in 4th grade and has attended TEA since kindergarden. She used to love going to school every day and has always been a good child. She now can not stand school. This school is only concerned with how the children preform on tests that make the school look good. Mr. Reese is degrading, arogant, and downright rude, he treats you like you are beneath him. He has an I am right philosphy and it dosent matter the concerns of the parents or students (who fear him). As long as you do what he says. Mr. Reese needs to relize that not all children fit into his perfect little box and he needs to stop trying to stuff them in there. Children need to be loved and nurtured not dealt with. If he wasnt around the school would be amazing!! and it was for many years. All of the other staff that I have dealt with have been good to me and my child.

Posted March 30, 2012

This school is very disrespectful of the students and their needs, It is run like a military acadamy, The child and the parent are never right. There needs to be more qualified people running this school. The teachers need to follow a code of conduct and be fair to all students. You need tto stop all the tattle telling in this school. If you didn't see what happened or you didn't hear what happened you have no right to punish a child because of something another child said. After all you are the teacher and you are supposed to be able to run your classroom by yourself. Do your job. Stop calling a child guilty of something that another child said. It is your job to know what is going on in your classroom. If you need help, put two people in every classroom. After all this is America and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Hire a few grandparents to help you, They know how to handle children because we have raised lots of them. Children need love and understanding to make them grow and become confident in themselves/ So please stop with so many rules and no understanding. Do you remember what it was like to be a child?

Posted March 25, 2012

I feel a need to re-review. It seems to me the "disgruntled," "unsatisfiedd" parents are those with middle-schoolers. Yes, things have changed with the arrival of Mr. Reese. HOWEVER, I have decided it's not right to blame Mr. Reese for not being Mr. Price and not doing all exactly as he had. They are totally different individuals with different "styles". Middle-school is a difficult age to "reach" and maintain on ALL levels. If you are unhappy, put your child back in the public schools and then let me know how you feel. Support the authority in your child's life and quit making Mr. Reese the culprit. Bullying is a very real problem everywhere at the middle school age and from what I've experienced with 5 children prior to the one currently in middle school (which is our "baby") this school is far superior to any public school in our area. Children who bully are most likely children of bullies or uninvolved parents. SUPPORT your principal and teachers work with them and get involved at school and become part of the solution NOT the problem. Parental presence makes a difference for all children not just your own! My attitude changed when I became an active participant at school.

Posted January 15, 2012

Great school! Lots of activities and kids get Gym everyday! My kids and I love it!

Posted November 27, 2011

The teachers are very focused on getting the academic standards up and ensuring the kids excel in their studies. Unfortunately, they have to deal with children that are unruly or sometimes simlply rude and not obedient which disrupts the lesson flow. Discipline should be handled by the parents at home and thus the principal would not need to so many rules to keep order.

Posted November 9, 2011

great school great teachers my kid is in grade 1 and every day he is learning alot his teacher ms swick very good teacher very caring ,responsible and always there to help.i like her attitude with kids and parents.last year school at dismisal time there were problems but this year they managed very well.the principal himself control the traffic with the help of other teachers.all of the staff is very good i am happy that my so in this school.

Posted September 15, 2011

I was accepted at quest charter and once accepted to TEA i switched my kindergarten daughter there due to the schools ability to help challenge my due to her being above level in all aspect in learning. Before deciding which school i met with Principal Reese during my daughters testing and he took time to show me the school and answer all questions and concerns i had for my child. The Dean of K-2 has been very nice and has spent time answering any questions i have had so far. My daughters teacher has been great, she has her kids at her foremost concern. She has throughly explained testing and learning questions about my daughter and has given me additional ideas on how to futher my daughters learning. The drop off and pick up has been a process that i think they have been working very hard on how to make it better. Its only the 2 week of school so it can only get better as parents learn how to effectively use the process. I have found out how it works best for me and the flow is great for me now. I cant say much for parent involvement yet becuase i have not been in long enough to test the water on that. I have been told that i am welcome at ANY time for any reason

Posted September 8, 2011

As a grandparent, I have observed a large decline in consideration and a great deal of disrespect directed toward parents and family members during drop off and pickup times.The school's parking lot is inadequate for the amount of students that attend this school and at times are down right dangerous. Yet they added to the school to squeeze in more students instead of creating a safer drop off zone. The only time parents and families are welcome is when the school has a fundraiser. The staff and teachers at Taylor Exemplar Academy have become extremely rude . The principal, Mr. Reese is very crude and arrogant, when approached with an issue he has a habit of ushering you away as if you were beneath him and insignificant. And they truly only care about test scores and not the needs of individual students. Unfortunately, There is no longer the good morning and welcome atmosphere that was so impressive just a few short years ago. National Heritage would be very surprised at what their families have to say about Mr. Reese if they were to add his performance on the parent survey at the next parent teacher conference.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 36% 18%

School start time
  • 7:50am
School end time
  • 3:15pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mr. Walter Reese
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Fax number
  • (734) 941-9641

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Significant developmental delay
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports