Public charter
Traverse City, MI

Posted April 14, 2011
I cant believe that this site has only given Woodland a 7. This is one of the most inovative schools in the area with amazing arts and academic programing. Kids love learning and become expert creative porblem solvers. They have choice and say in there education. Although the school does not teach to the standardized tests, the school routinely scores ABOVE the surrounding area schools much of the time. Class sizes are smaller than the average public school. Teachers get to know te students well becuase of the multiage structure. Woodland has changed both my daughters lives for the the better. My oldest left here and entered high school doing all junior level academic classes. I can not say enough!

Posted May 21, 2010
Woodland School has been a wonderful schooling experience for my son. He began going to Woodland (TBCS) when he was in the second grade. He will be entering the 8th grade next year and he has enjoyed every minute of it. Highly motivated teachers, a beautiful atmosphere as well as a unique approach to learning are amongst just a few of the many attributes that Woodland School offers. Academically, my son has gained a tremendous interest in both the sciences as well as the arts. He has become a motovated individual during his years here and I would like to thank each teacher that has played a role in his education. Teachers here really take time for each student both academically as well as personally. Looking back, I am grateful that we chose Woodland School. -Brandy Marvin

Woodland School

Posted November 24, 2008
This school is one of my favorite that I sent two of my three children's too. Teachers are well organized and does spend that quality time with each child. The facility is beautiful the new auditorium they have is so nice and comfortable. I really do miss this school and wish my kids could have continue on schooling here. Out of all the schools in the area this is one of the best. Highly recommended.

Posted July 03, 2008
This school is the best. All of the teachers are smart, nice, and helpful. There are 2 ponds on the property and they spend a lot of time outdoors. You can excel as far as you need to, either staying with your age mates or going to a higher class for a few subjects. There is a lot of parent volunteering with is great. I highly recomend it.

Posted May 27, 2008
I went to school here for 4 years and am very impressed! Everyone is very friendly. Great teachers and staff! It was unique in many positive ways.

Posted November 08, 2006
This is my granddaughter's sixth year at the school, and she has two younger siblings attending, as well. Our family is thrilled with their progress, the innovative curriculum, wonderful opportunities in the arts, dedicated and caring staff and director, and the spectacular setting. High quality education with small classroom settings. Added Cross Country team this year, which was very successful.

Woodland School 3

Posted April 01, 2005
My son had addended this school for a couple of years. Though the multi-level classes were a smart choice to begin with, he was being pulled up to do harder work, when he became the top of the mult-level class the work was too easy for him. I saw as he didn't care about school any more, he didn't like it, he was bored. There was no help offered to challange him, even after I asked - many times. I couldn't not sit back and watch as my son's interest in education began to fade. We removed him and he is now thriving in another school. The atmosphere at TBCS is beautiful and the parents are friendly. It is like one big happy family. The Principal was not kind when we left.

Woodland School 3

Posted January 11, 2005
ok, i as a student at this school for 9 years, feel that although there is much friendship and family relationship feeling within the class, that it is deceptive and when you meet other real kids your child will be sorely disapointed and may not fit in. we have disregarded so many rules of conduct as a school, not on the individual level. personally i think that the math and science teachers should get more than they do because most of the students are a hinderance to better students learning, and they have to watch it. when a student asks a question above the comprehension of the masses, its not the place of the class to critisize, as is costomary, and even mock the person, although the question in the first place was legitimate. all in all its a good idea for parents, but not for a student.

Posted September 13, 2004
My son has attended TBCS since the first year of its existance. He has excelled in the multiage classroom system. Now in the 8th grade is offered algebra and geometry as well as creative language arts classes. The beautiful campus adds to the ambiance but it is the extraordinary staff that makes this school special. The three distinct villages work together to familiarize the youngest students with the oldest, and it is awesome to watch the kindergarteners waving and hugging the pre-teens many of whom have participated as 'reading buddies' during the year. Volunteerism is welcomed and appreciated at TBCS. This school has a unique 'family' feeling. The vocal music department and bands are each lead by extrodinary teachers and the musical productions have been very impressive. I believe that there is a waiting list, but if you can get in you will not leave this school.

Posted February 23, 2004
TBCS has a different teaching style which my children learn best from. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. My children have learned so much from this school and they really enjoy being able to choose their classes which makes learning more appealing to them. They also love the week long intensives that the school has 3 times a year which gives them a break from the normal routine. I cannot say enough good things about this school and only wish they continue growing past the 8th grade before my children reach those grade levels. There aren't extra curricular sports at this school which isn't a problem because the YMCA and other various places offer sports. They do have scouting though and the leaders are wonderful and very adventurous.

Woodland School
7224 Supply Road, Traverse City, MI  49696
Last modified Woodland School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top