Troy, MI
Students enrolled: 1,554

Posted November 22, 2014
Our boys, a Sophomore and a Senior, attend Athens and we have found it to be an exceptional school, both academically and socially. They have a variety of clubs to choose from and a wide range of electives, as well. We did have a bullying problem last year, but the AP addressed it immediately and the student was expelled from the district. The fact that the administration took it seriously and addressed it with our son and us, meant the world to us. Academically, our boys are top students and for the most part are challenged academically and are given resources for help if needed. Our only complaint is that there are only 6 hours and if your student is involved in band/orchestra they are not able to take more electives. We see electives as being a way to try new things that might lead to a career choice. Rave reviews for the new chemistry teacher - a first year teacher that has his students so excited about the subject! :D

Posted June 25, 2013
I graduated from AHS in 1995. It seems that from reading many of the comments that not much has changed. It was a great school on an academic level, although the AP were favored. The average kids were kind of left to flounder and left to feel less than worthy. The issues with teenagers now that I have read in other comments also existed 18+ years ago so I would say that it is a "teenager thing" more than an "Athens thing." Obviously it is worse now because we didn't have cell phones back then. But there were plenty of people getting into things they had no business getting into way too young even then (I can say we were way too young because I'm 36 now and realize that TEENAGES DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING YET THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING). As a teacher now, my heart goes out to the high school teachers because teenagers can truly be awful people regardless of how wonderful they have been raised. So, if you go here and get into college you will realize that even if you weren't in AP courses at Athens, you still are going into college with more knowledge than many other people in your classes from other places. Troy still has a very outstanding reputation for public education.

Posted January 23, 2013
I am graduating Athens this year and overall my experience here has been great, a 9/10. Almost all my teachers were great and I've had little to no complaints, and none of them were terrible. Most of the the teachers I've had are dedicated to their jobs and were helpful when I needed them (so were the counselors). There were, however, a couple of bad apples who didn't seem to care (I can't lie!) but they are the exception rather than the norm at this school. Academically, there are a variety of AP classes to choose from and they are all rigorous, challenging and prepare you for college. There are also a wide variety of clubs, sports, and other extracurricular activities to choose from. The students themselves are also very diverse and come from all different races and backgrounds, and we all manage to get along pretty well despite this. The person below me had problems with obnoxious and annoying students, but as they mentioned if you take upper level honors and AP classes with more mature students as I did you should have less of a problem. Overall, I feel privileged to have attended such a great school as Athens and wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

Athens High School 2

Posted August 31, 2012
I am currently going to Athens and i must say, while the academics are great, most teachers are kind and helpful, and the counselors are always willing to give you a hand; the amount of awful students are growing. Most of the kids in the regular courses or below are just down right rude and mean to anyone that does not agree with them. most kids are spoiled out of their mind and have no sense of respect to teachers. It has greatly hindered upon my learning, when the teacher has to stop every few minutes to tell a kid to listen/stop texting/be respectful. the kids talk back constantly (i have even been in a class where one student called the teacher a female dog, right to her face). On top of that drugs run rampant through the school. If you are able to stay in the AP classes though Athens is great. like i said, the school its self is amazing, but the students are beyond awful.

Posted November 27, 2011
So far my son has been given the help and attention he has needed for his studies and or problems. As for other than education, there is always a parking lot problem with the kids....they either drive too fast, mess around in the lot with their vehicles...I have seen so many ALMOST accidents because of kids anticts. Complaints fell on deaf ears and they claimed there were parking lot monitors and I have never seen one yet! Bottom line, the kids are very disrespectful in the parking lot/with driivng courtesy!

Athens High School 0

Posted October 06, 2009
All A rated school with top notch programs to offer to students. Everyone is involved!!

Posted September 27, 2009
The education provided my daughters was the best ever!

Athens High School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
It's the best school around - academically and socially and sports. Great staff and excellent attention to giving the kids the best education they can!!

Posted July 06, 2009
I graduated from Athens this year (2009) and I really enjoyed being there and will miss it greatly. 9 times out of 10, the teachers care about their students and teach in new ways. Many teachers are life coaches and friends on top of being teachers, which says a lot. The downside is the administration which changes frequently and is getting more bureacratic causing many teachers to leave. Hopefully the new teachers that come to Athens are just as dedicated. Also, the school is very diverse in comparison to Troy High School and the atmosphere is less competitive. The school used to have many fights and drug busts, but now it's changing. Go here.

Athens High School 3

Posted November 22, 2008
I was a graduate of 08 from Athens. I must say that it was something which really helped prepare me for college and set me ahead of most of the others in my classes. Although, Athens has many problems as well. For example, many teachers will not take the time to help out students but instead will only help favorites rather than the others who genuinely need help. Skipping class is extremely easy and drugs are very prevalent throughout the school although there are not as many heavy drugs such as at Troy High. Some faculty even will permit students to smoke on the property or sneak out for a quick fix. If you go to any school you will find this though and the academic experience was great (although very easy to get lost in). Equality is greatly taught and is a major bonus!

Athens High School
4333 John R Road, Troy, MI  48085
Last modified Athens High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Athens High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top