PK-3|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted April 08, 2016
This is a school that unfortunately cares about money and not the children. Loyalty is lost to the owner. She is not an educator...only a business owner. I would not recommend this school if you care about your child's future.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted February 28, 2016
Absolutely not in our experience. As I mentioned - it was an overall tensed environment.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted February 28, 2016
I believe due to the mismanagement and whimsical decisions of the director the school fosters a very tensed environment. Such an environment can never foster good qualities such as honesty, integrity and fairness.

Posted February 28, 2016
Yes terrible - truly terrible experience! As somebody mentioned - I think the school really has imploded due to whimsical management by the director! The lead teacher was equally difficult to work with. The advantage of having in-class camera quickly wears off under the pressure of all the negativity. We witnessed an exodus happening as parents (including us) chose to enroll their children somewhere else.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted February 28, 2016
The front office lady and the enrollment manager (not sure if the correct designation) are only silver lining to a very dark and gloomy environment this school fosters.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted February 28, 2016
The teachers appeared tensed at all the time - they were quick to blame the kids - the focus was more on parent education than actual education of the kids.

Schoolhouse Montessori Academy - Troy 4

Posted January 04, 2016
We are generally happy with our child's experience at this school. I agree with a previous poster that language issues make communication from the school administrator easily misunderstood - she often comes off as gruff or insensitive but I've not found her to be so in person. Still, emails and letters from the school to parents could be greatly improved, both in terms of the quality and clarity of it and in terms of what they tell you about when (school drills, etc., we only hear about after the fact). But the teachers have been sensitive and great with our kid and we like the structure the school provides, and have been very happy overall. Also a very diverse bunch of kids and teachers, which is important to us.

Posted August 29, 2015
This school is not imploding, it HAS imploded. Their best teachers have either moved on or been fired. This is all due to atrocious management of both the owners and a head administrator that is beyond useless. They are now to the point where they can't hire actual Montessori trained teachers. So if you want your child taught by a public school teacher for a lot of money, Schoolhouse is for you. Good luck.

Schoolhouse Montessori Academy - Troy 4

Posted December 17, 2014
My child attends SMA and seems to be doing well. Everything is well organized in general, and I like how the director pretty consistently sends out emails with updates, even if they are sometimes somewhat grammatically corrupted (which I could see could cause confusion among some people and make it seem like she's rude, when she's really not in-person)--maybe someone else should type up these emails and organize them a little better? I do wish it were a little easier to get in touch with the teachers--they do not have email addresses, you can only call during a short window of time after school. I read all material that comes home with my child and attend parent teacher conferences, but feel like there is more information I could be getting if I could email the teacher directly once in a while. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, they follow the real Montessori method pretty closely, and have excellent after school programs such as art, music, dance, and more. There are two other Montessori schools within about five miles, and I would recommend Schoolhouse among the three. They are not the best Montessori school out there in my opinion, but they are certainly not the worst.

Schoolhouse Montessori Academy - Troy 5

Posted January 02, 2014
My kids have attended Schoolhouse for the past 2 years. My son started in the toddler program and was potty trained by age 2. There is a high degree of diversity and I love the fact that many of my children's first friendships have been with kids of a different race or ethnicity. Most of the teachers are outstanding - engaged, passionate and dedicated to their students' learning and development. There has been some turnover, especially with the Assistant Teachers. Unlike traditional day care centers, they strictly follow the public school schedule, which has meant many vacation days spent home watching the kids (2 weeks Xmas break, 2 weeks in the summer, numerous random days throughout the year). Overall, I have been very pleased with the education, socialization and care provided at Schoolhouse.

3305 Crooks Rd, Troy, MI  48084
Last modified Schoolhouse Montessori Academy - Troy is a Private school that serves grades PK-3