Mary Helen Guest Elementary School 2

Posted June 30, 2014
Not impressed at all. My kindergartener began school this year and the class size is ridiculous, and I think the teachers are just as immature as the kids. The social worker is a waste of school dollars and unprofessional. They did not encourage parents to be part of the learning process and lack communication process and skills. The only gem that saves the school from complete fail is the principle, she is very kind and pleasant and resolves matters quite efficiently. Its sad that I will spend my summer looking into a transfer to a better school.

Posted June 01, 2012
We're blessed to be part of this wonderful elementary school. They have the BEST principal, BEST teachers and staff, and the BEST parents. We're a minority family and we came from a different district and before transferring at MHG I thought that we would struggle. However, I was wrong and it was the best decision we ever made. I will not leave Walled Lake nor the State of Michigan just because of how much we LOVE this school. We're saddened that next school we'll have a different principal whom we really love and respect, but we're pretty sure everything will be the same. We love Mary Helen Guest Elementary School! Looking forward for many years with you.

Mary Helen Guest Elementary School 1

Posted May 30, 2012
This is a terrible school for any student who is a minority. We woven out to walled lake so that my child can have a better education and although she has gotten one at mary helen, the school really only caters to the those who are not of color. I don't like that for parent teacher conferences the child is not allowed to be present in the room. There is a sense that they are trying to cover up something. They tend to be very petty with children of minorities and your child will not have a voice if they attend this school. They always use the terns "the other kids don't do that" or "the other kids do behave like that" YOUR CHILD SHOULD NOT BE CLASSIFIED INTO A GROUP WITH "THE OTHER KIDS" THEY ARE THERE OWN UNIQUE INDIVIDUAL. The staff tend to be very petty as well. And when there is a problem at school if you ask for the principal you get the teacher or if you ask for the teacher your get the supervisor. Walled lake district is a good district for the middle school and high school level minorities but if your in elementary hang it up. They won't see the needs of ANY minority child.

Posted September 07, 2009

Posted August 19, 2009
My son's kindergarten teacher was one of the best. It was a great year.

Mary Helen Guest Elementary School 4

Posted June 10, 2009
My daughter has been @ MHG for 5 years and we have enjoyed all of her teachers. They have been friendly, helpful and encouraging. We have been pretty happy with the curriculum and with her academic growth(she was bored in K and 1). The principal is helpful and the kids love him. He always takes time to answer questions or to attend school functions. The office staff, however, is lazy and disorganized. We have had several issues with them calling the wrong person/wrong number if my daughter is ill. Once she sat at school ill all day because they had her call home by herself in 1st grade (she left a voicemail that I got that evening after we were home) when I was at work. Had they looked, the emergency card said as much. The office staff isnt teaching, though, so I can look past it.

Posted May 21, 2009
Our Daughter attended MHG for kindergarten, and then because we moved, she attended first grade at a different school within the district. We were so disappointed with the experience we had in first grade, that we requested a transfer, and our Daughter will be finishing up her elementary education at MHG. We are thrilled that she will be returning to Guest next year! When you walk in the school you just get a great feeling. the staff is well rounded and very caring, the kids are great, and the atmosphere is how an elementary school should feel like... You are welcomed and respected. You and your child are both treated wonderfully. We just can't wait to get back, and realize that we should have never left!

Posted October 31, 2008

Mary Helen Guest Elementary School 0

Posted September 16, 2008
I think this a fabulous school!. I have adored all of my 2nders teachers so far.. He has been here since kindergarten. My youngest is in kindergarten and I have been very impressed with the teachers concern for the children. In defense of the office staff, there are also great, they know every student by name and recognize the parents quickly and mange to keep everything in the school running smoothly. I am proud that this school is educating my children.

Mary Helen Guest Elementary School 2

Posted January 28, 2008

Mary Helen Guest Elementary School
1655 Decker Road, Walled Lake, MI  48390
Last modified Mary Helen Guest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Helen Guest Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top