Bad
Good

We are so happy at Haviland. We are first year kindergarten parents and we could not have imagined a better experience for our child at this school. All staff members are friendly from the office manager to the custodian. The teachers are very thoughtful and creative and the principal is out every morning and afternoon greeting every student by name. My child is doing some great work in school and is already reading! So happy with our choice!

We have tried to make Haviland our home . We participate in events & this helps build relationships w/ our classroom teacher, principal, special teachers & other staff/future teachers. This year, PTA organized the following: DQ make your own sundae and raffle tickets for a cake, Friday Night movies, breakfast w/ Santa, Fun Run, talent show, Winter luau & cookie dough, a big $ maker. PTAs are challenged to get families involved. To help, they invite 1-2 classrooms to present per montly meeting. Some classrooms have stronger participation than others. Why? I don t know. The teacher, the parents, the children, the day of the week? The PTA for the past 2 years has been excellent. With terms ending, next year will be a new PTA. We will support them, too. We also participated in outreach events such as helping families w needs at holiday time, penny wars for charity & food drives. Overall, we have been happy w/ our experience w/ teachers. There are always a few students that appear to be a challenge (observed on field trips), but isn't that always the way? We re sure it can be challenging for a teacher to give natural consequences to students.

My daughter is not happy here. The teachers have no control over the bad disruptive kids, and instead of just removing the disruptive kids from fun rewards, field trips etc the whole class misses out, this isn't ok. She struggles understanding certain assignments and gets no extra help. The PTA is terrible! No student involvement, just selling cookies no fun fundraising events for the kids to participate in. I'm very disappointed in her educational experience, she's in third grade and already has a bad opinion of school, she's very bright, and it's a shame that at 9 years old she hates school, is bored and frustrated. I'm looking into changing schools and possibly moving all together I have a toddler and I do not want him going here. I HATE saying negative things, but early elementary is so crucial in developing a child's outlook on education, and this school is more of a wild daycare that teachers can't control. The teachers are overwhelmed and aren't able to teach these kids.

This school hasn't changed in 13 to 14 years since I was going there. They have trouble retain staff, even the Principles don't seem to last. They have a 3rd in 4th grade split math class, when I took this class, the teacher was overwhelmed with too many students, and didn't want to take the time to help me, so she threw a third grade math book at me, which set me back. I don't see the student teacher bond, like I saw when my daughter was going to Stepansk's. My daughter is picked on by the kids, and I had the same problem when I was going there. So far since she has been their she has learned swear words and that their is no Santa Clause. This is my daughters last year I will not let her do anymore schooling there.

This school is amazing when it comes to working with the parents and children. In the 3 years my son has been at Haviland and we have seen great results. This is one of the best schools in Oakland County and within the Waterford School District. The principle has really been improving the MEAP Results and the school competes with the best of them. It is the parent involvement that makes or breaks a student. Keep up the good work Haviland and Thank you for making my son's experience great!

The teachers are good, but the principal is horrible. In the 3 years I have had my children there, she has not done one good thing for that school. She was never a teacher before becoming an administrator and it shows. It seems as if the teachers do not respect her and it shows. The principal has really brought that school down. On a positive note, the teachers do try their best with what little support they are given.

Great Staff! Great Principal! Excellent support from the staff for the kids! Wish there were more schools like this in Waterford!

Haviland is the archetype of an ideal school. The students and staff seem happy to be there. I am very pleased that the school to which we are geographically bound is so well rated. I'm confident that my daughter is receiving the proper attention for her personal and educational development.

We have been parents of children who have attended several private schools in the area. This is by far the best school we have had our children in. The principal, Ms. Novotny, is dedicated to the happiness and success of each child. The teachers are always approachable and enthusiastic. We couldn't be happier with this school. There is also a strong sense of community and parental involvement along with a safe and trusting enviroment.

My kids are very happy in this school! The private christian school we went to last year was a disgusting experience. We like this school because they have great academic level, they make learning fun and theachers really, really care. Ms Novotny is also a great and caring principal.

Last modified Haviland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.