Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

The school itself is large and incredibly layered. There can be found many different communities within the high school. Basically any student can find their niche here, and I am confident saying that. I personally was a theatre kid, and the theatre community I found at WBHS couldn't possibly be replicated anywhere else. Recently, the school has been through ups and downs, but has nevertheless remained upbeat and lively. That is something that can be credited to the wonderful people that work at WBHS.

I have two kids. The oldest graduated from WBHS a few years ago and the youngest is there now. They're two totally different students. Both had/have very positive experiences. The oldest is attending a university in Michigan and was well prepared for college, not just with AP classes, but the regular science curriculum made undergrad science a "breeze". My youngest is enjoying all the opportunities the high school has to offer. There seems to be something there for everyone; from band, choir, theater, many sports to even more clubs. Both of my kids had some teachers that really motivated them to think "outside the box". EXCELLENT counselor(s)! The young administration is innovative and easily accessible to the students (and parents). Diverse student population. I would encourage anyone looking at high schools to tour WBHS before making a decision based on what others say.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

As with all schools some teachers are better than others. West Bloomfield has a number of quality teachers that seem to really love to teach and spark interest in the students. I've seen teachers make my own kids see their real potential. Others have pushed my kids to work harder and really stretch. There are always a few teachers that are just nice or don't add much. But these are few and far between.

Amount of homework: Agree

This school uses blocked scheduling. Students do not necessarily have the same classes every day. Therefore homework assigned one day may not be due for two days. This really helps students learn to manage and prioritize their time. It's also a great way to prepare for a college schedule.

I have seen nothing but great things from this high school! WB has more AP classes than any high school in the state. Offerings and technology are the very best, principals are amazing.

I have two students currently at West Bloomfield High School and couldn't be happier with the curriculum, teachers, and administration. Any school is what your kids make of it. My senior considered going to the International Academy and is very grateful to have attended West Bloomfield. She has had countless opportunities at leadership positions, rigorous courses, and clubs, such as teen court, where students are able to observe cases and interact with the district court judge. She will be attending a prestigious university in the fall and has an impressive resume to bring to the table thanks to West Bloomfield High School. Mr. Watson is an extremely dedicated principal and is admired not only by the staff, but the students love him as well. I highly recommend West Bloomfield High School to any parent or student who is seeking advice.

I have one child that went to West Bloomfield and a second that went to the International Academy. The contrast couldn't be greater. West Bloomfield had an excellent high school in the 1990's. It is not even average anymore. Don't take my word for it, check it's ranking on US News compared to Troy, Bloomfield Hills etc. WB is not even ranked. College readiness index 38.1%. By contrast Troy is 58.3%, Rochester Adams 49.1%, IA 100%. It is truly sad considering the level of funding and poor performance. This district needs a turn around which doesn't seem to be coming. I like West Bloomfield but would count on sending my student elsewhere for High School. Finally, the primary schools are excellent which is a further indictment of the High School.

We moved into and lived in West Blomfield for almost 10 years for a particular reason, that was for our 2 kids to attend and graduated from West Bloomfield High School. Both kids went on to a great Ive League university after graduation. During those years, we interacted extensively with their teachers and principles. In our humble views, WBHS offers a unique and highly challenged learning and extracurriculum environment to our kids. We believe that WBHS is one of best high schools in Oakland County of Michigan, and we highly recommend it to other parents who want an excellent education for their kids.

We are the parents of three students- one who has previously attended WBHS, and two current students. From our former student, who is an "average to below average" student, we know that staff and teachers are outstanding, and students leave this institution well prepared. From our current students, we know that the school is disciplined and well-run, culturally diverse and tolerant, and responsive to parent inquiries. Administration,especially the principal and athletic director, are very effective and in touch with students and building culture. What a great school!

We have two students who attend WBHS. Our experiences have been indicative of those in the real world...1) Teachers who underestimated our son due to his outward appearance who quickly acknowledged his drive and determination to succeed, 2) Administration/staff who addresses parents' concerns in a timely manner, 3) A curriculum that is challenging and full of varied courses in many disciplines (As an educator, this was of utmost importance to me), and 4) A student population that is culturally diverse. The teaching staff is not very diverse, therefore; perceived stereotypes prevent some teachers from treating all students equally (This is district wide not just at the high school). Some students are encouraged to take Honors/AP classes, whereas, others must petition to do so, some are encouraged to engage in athletics, and so forth. Nevertheless, we have encountered some teachers that are absolutely doing what they love...teach. Our children have walked away with valuable lessons due to both positive & not so positive encounters with teachers. We are a school of choice family driving from northern Oakland county; we know our kids are an asset to WBHS in more ways than one.

Last modified West Bloomfield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.