Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amazing school! Teachers and curriculum are top notch. I am so glad that we chose this district to send our children to vs neighboring schools. Very impressive!

Amount of homework: Disagree

My daughter spent at least an hour nightly on homework, usually more like 1.5-2 hours. Plus she had weekend homework. (in 3rd grade)

I have two children, one who attended this school for 2nd grade only and one who attended for 2nd and 3rd grade only. We have now moved out of state. For the child who attended for one year (a stronger student), this school was fine. For my other child, this school did not work well for her at all. She's now improving in her new school, but has had to be pulled out for special spelling assistance because she was not taught any spelling through 3rd grade. This has not only helped her spelling tremendously, but it's also helped her reading. Math is going better and homework in her new school is no longer a 2 hour battle every night. She's learning cursive now, which has helped her writing, in general, flourish. I thought we were in a good district in West Bloomfield, but I have since learned we really were not. My child's learning difficulties (outside reading, but only to a degree) were ignored at this school.

Where shall I begin Lack of communication, clueless principal, 90 percent of teachers that don't want to do their job. I am so glad I switched to the Walled Lake District for middle school. I can't believe I was with West Bloomfield for this long.

My child had a fantastic four years at Scotch. The teachers were caring and very skilled. There were terrific programming and activities. It has a very strong PTO -- parents really support this school and turn out for everything. We loved the new principal and found him outgoing and easy to work with.

This is the second year my sons have attended and I am happy overall with the education they are receiving. The teachers are dedicated and available to address any concerns. I do feel as if the principal is clueless about his role as a leader and he allows too many chances for those students who are disruptive to the educational process. Also, I think the late start and dismissal times are ridiculous especially for elementary school children.

The teachers are awesome. The new prinicipal lacks leadership and communication skills. There is poor decision making and no oversight in the classroom. Bullying is out of control. The environment is unsafe and not conducive to learning.

I agree with previous person... School is amazing, teachers are professional. my both children went there and got amazing experience...

The bullying situation at this school is outrageous. The buses are complete torment for some kids. I have had to change my work schedule so that I can drive my children to and from school. Forget about the students feeling safe during recess. The procedure used by the para-pros is to turn the blame on any child who dares bother them with a complaint about a bully. How can a child get an education when they are being bullied by the system that is supposed to protect them?

Scotch is one of the best elementary schools, I think, in Oakland County. The teachers are outstanding and care very much about the students and their developments. The odyssey program for the kids is a tremendous educational tool. I am extremely happy with the staff and their involvement with projects and activities that boost morale and creativity in our children. Overall, I would not send my children to any other school. Scotch is rated #1 in my book!

Last modified Scotch Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 2-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.