John Marshall Upper Elementary School 1

Posted November 20, 2014
I am a student here at Marshall (2013-2015) and i am bullied way to much, girls who don't know me still go behind my back and say things like she snitched on me when i was doing what the teacher told me to do and people get in fights and bullied ALOT like WAY WAY to much i wouldnt send my child or anyone i know here, i advise you to stay away!!!!

John Marshall Upper Elementary School 1

Posted September 14, 2014
Removed my son from this school after one year best decision i made to the young lady that was bullied im truly sorry you had to go through that because adults didn't do their part.

John Marshall Upper Elementary School 2

Posted September 13, 2014
I went to this school 2010-2012, and had very opposite events happen both years I attended. My fifth grade year was amazing; I loved my teacher, I met great friends, and overall it was so amazing. However, my sixth grade year was absolutely horrible. I was bullied rather harshly by one boy in my class, and the only people who stuck up for me were my fellow classmates. The teacher never took notice and never cared. When I told him, he told me to write to the principal. When I did, I didn't get to her for a few days, but when I did, the bully did get suspended, but not because he was a bully, but because he swore at me. None of the staff cared. I remember coming home crying every night, and the bullying was bad enough that it led to depression and self esteem issues. I don't recommend going here. Fighting and bullying is too common. If you go/are going to go there, just be careful.

Posted March 12, 2014
Marshall's communication is top notch and the building is very well maintained. My child loves his teacher. The best thing is I can tell my child's teacher loves her class too. I have shared many of our positive experiences with other parents as well. I've been really pleased with our choice to stay in WW. Regarding bullying concerns, unfortunately that happens everywhere. If there is a concern, follow up with the school. You cannot assume what has or has not been done until facts are clear. I've interacted with the Social Worker and both Principals and they've been great. Love the teacher though! What a treasure she is.

John Marshall Upper Elementary School 2

Posted January 22, 2014
My son is on his second year at Marshall Elementary. Although I adore his 6th grade teacher, I am highly disappointed with the administration. Some of my son's friends have been bullied by other students, even physically accosted, unfortunately most times these actions go ignored. At the end of one school day my son's best friend was slapped so hard his glasses fell off on the way to the bus. My son took his friend to the office and he was told to rush onto the bus and although reported, the boy who slapped him never received a punishment. This same boy has threatened other students in class and he is constantly sent to the office but he has never once been suspended. It is too bad that this is the situation because my son has a phenomenal teacher and elective teachers; but more attention is paid to the MEAP exams rather than the safety of the children.

Posted September 23, 2013
Great school with a wonderful staff although the school has some room for improvement . As with all schools in Michigan the Meap scores bring down their overall ratings as a school. I personally am not a fan of the Meap as some students are not natural test takers which muddies the waters for a rating system in Michigan. I grade the school on my children and their knowledge level. They are bright and can discuss all subjects with a level of understanding that the Meap test can not measure. Great job Marshall!

Posted November 22, 2011
Due to my last review of Ms. Murphy i felt it was only fair to update. I spoke with the principal, Mrs. Murphy today and after a twenty minute conversation, she deleted my sons suspension. She explained her views on the situation but also listened to mine. Not only did she remove his suspension, she also called my son to her office(he brought his backpack because he thought he was suspended again-lol) and apologized to him and gave him a hug. Although I still think it shouldn't have taken a phone call from me, I do appreciate her being open minded enough to listen.

Posted September 01, 2011
My child is entering his second year at Marshall and we are looking forward to another great year. He had an awesome 5th grade teacher...and we look forward to seeing who he'll have for 6th grade. There are a few issues with behavior for a lot of students, but I blame their parents...not the school. Mrs. Murphy really seems to care for the kids and I'm thrilled she is back for another year :)

Posted December 12, 2010
We are in the first year of the new Marshall Upper Elementary, and while I'm thrilled with my child's teacher, I'm concerned with the number of overloaded classrooms, the amount of time teachers are out of the classroom due to Professional Development, as well as the cockroach issues. I would like to see more after school activities that welcome the whole family. Dances are inappropriate for elementary students.

Posted June 30, 2009
I am a student at Marshall Middle School, and I think it is outstanding! The teachers are wonderful, they will stay after school to help out the students. And a special shout out to Ms. Hunt, Ms. Cox, Ms. Iwaniec, and Mr. D... So parents people may say the school is bad but it is an asweome school for your kids. Sincerely, the Pizza Lover (inside joke)

John Marshall Upper Elementary School
35100 Bayview Street, Westland, MI  48186
Last modified John Marshall Upper Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 3-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Marshall Upper Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top